Shotgun Deer season

Went out this morning. Didn't see anything... except quite a few cars/trucks parked on 16. No one was parked at the lot near the Midstate Trail trailhead when I got there. Heard maybe 4-5 shots throughout the morning. Ran into a guy going in as I was coming out and he said his cameras had picked up some big deer in the area. Luckily I've got the next 2 days off of work so I can get back out there in the AM. Anyone have any luck in Douglas SF this year?

Went out this morning. Didn't see anything... except quite a few cars/trucks parked on 16. No one was parked at the lot near the Midstate Trail trailhead when I got there. Heard maybe 4-5 shots throughout the morning. Ran into a guy going in as I was coming out and he said his cameras had picked up some big deer in the area. Luckily I've got the next 2 days off of work so I can get back out there in the AM. Anyone have any luck in Douglas SF this year?

Nope, has been quiet for me in Douglas. I have seen great sign, but limited deer. I'll be out this weekend again. Shoot me a PM if your near the area, I am in Webster.

Saturday will be my first day out for MA shotgun. I was down in CT last week for 2 days. Saw a big buck and 3 doe in CT but no luck getting a shot on them. Hope things change Saturday. My KSG is eagerly awaiting its first MA hunt [smile].

j2yr.jpg

Last edited:
^ Haha!! That's awesome. I've never seen anyone hunt with a tacticool shotgun.

I solo hiked way out into the CCNS woods/ dunes all day yesterday. The only other orange I saw in the early part of the day was a park ranger. I was in the middle of nowhere, and he came out of nowhere. He glanced at me and kept walking. I can't believe he didn't even bother to talk to me.

Around noon I hiked up to one of my favorite spots on the seashore (just for it's beautiful view, not hunting necessarily) and I saw large tracks all over the dune. I stood and looked at the ocean for about 20 minutes and when I started to leave, I see a good size doe frolicking in the dunes behind and below me. I put my cross hairs on her (with the safety on; I have no doe tag) and just watched for a few minutes. That's certainly the longest I've ever had a deer in my sights.

Later that day in Wellfleet I ran into another hunter on a fire road and chatted with him for a moment. Nice guy. Certainly the polar opposite of the lunatic that threatened me and 4 of my buddies on Monday morning for hunting "his marsh". [thinking]

Last edited:
I know I should probably look this up myself, but... Since we don't have a rifle season in MA, how do the regulations distinguish between a rifle and a rifled shotgun firing slugs?

It says.

"1. The hunting of deer with a rifle is prohibited except for the use of shotguns and primitive firearms (muzzleloaders) with a rifled bore."

I'm not sure that they spell it out anywhere in terms of acceptable calibers. Common sense (which I know has no place in the MGL's) tells you that shotguns would be chambered in .410, 20 gauge, 12 gauge etc.

It says.

"1. The hunting of deer with a rifle is prohibited except for the use of shotguns and primitive firearms (muzzleloaders) with a rifled bore."

I'm not sure that they spell it out anywhere in terms of acceptable calibers. Common sense (which I know has no place in the MGL's) tells you that shotguns would be chambered in .410, 20 gauge, 12 gauge etc.

Interesting... So I have to wonder how different the ballistics are between a .410 slug from a rifled barrel and, say, a .45 LC from a rifle?

Interesting... So I have to wonder how different the ballistics are between a .410 slug from a rifled barrel and, say, a .45 LC from a rifle?

I'm sure both will drop a deer with proper shot placement. [wink]

I've never owned or fired a rifled shotgun, but my buddy who shot the doe Monday morning did it with one. I don't remember what model or caliber he has, but the round looks like a regular shotgun hull, except when you look inside the business end it's a bullet with a plastic fluted tip. Pretty deadly little round, it did just fine entering and making a mess of the doe's chest cavity.

The 410 slugs are pretty light and not very aerodynamic.

Federal says there 410 slug would have the following energy:
Muzzle-762
50 yards-432
100 yard-272

By comparison a 45 LC (I assume the numbers are from a handgun):
Muzzle-369
50 yard-343
100 yard-319

To put it in perceptive a 30-06:
Muzzle-2820
100 yards-2279

Winchester has a very nice lever gun in 410. I thought about it, but in the end I decided I wanted a little greater margin for error and went with a rifled 12 gauge.

I got a 4 pointer (117 lbs after field dressed) in Chelmsford last night... 10 minutes after sundown... [grin]
I was starting to get discouraged, as I hadn't even seen a deer this year while on-stand. Good luck everyone! [grin]

I got a 4 pointer (117 lbs after field dressed) in Chelmsford last night... 10 minutes after sundown... [grin]
I was starting to get discouraged, as I hadn't even seen a deer this year while on-stand. Good luck everyone! [grin]

My father in law got this buck this morning, not sure of size or anything

congrats guys!!

Saturday will be my first day out for MA shotgun. I was down in CT last week for 2 days. Saw a big buck and 3 doe in CT but no luck getting a shot on them. Hope things change Saturday. My KSG is eagerly awaiting its first MA hunt [smile].

j2yr.jpg

baller status.

i'm going out again sunday.

I had a nice doe in my crosshairs yesterday but no doe permit. My buddy who is hunting for the first season got a for permit this year, offered it up but I didn't want to lessen his chances.

baller status.

Some dude came up to me while I was out with it in CT towards the end of day. He was pushing through the woods and saw me and decided he wanted to chat..........Guy was an idiot on multiple levels....Head down while pushing his way through, walking into the sun, dressed in orange pants, jacket, hat etc total nimrod who hadnt seen a deer all season (wonder why).

He did a double take as he was finally leaving and asked me "what is that a bazooka!?!". I was just like ahhh hahah no its a shotgun.....If anti hunters only new some of the fudds walking around our there [laugh]

Tell me about it. With shotgun season so short too - those who work for a living get to go twice and that's it.

I get 3 weeks paid vacation a year, and usually at least half of those days I take for hunting either deer or duck.

Last year I took the entire first week of shotgun off, (so including the Saturday I spent 6 full days in the woods/ marshes from sun up to sun down) and never fired one shot. In fact never fired a shot during shotgun or muzzleloader at all last year. I took Monday thru Wednesday off this week and at 8ish on Monday morning, I was one of the pushers that drove a nice doe right to my buddy. Bang. Done. [laugh]

Some dude came up to me while I was out with it in CT towards the end of day. He was pushing through the woods and saw me and decided he wanted to chat..........Guy was an idiot on multiple levels....Head down while pushing his way through, walking into the sun, dressed in orange pants, jacket, hat etc total nimrod who hadnt seen a deer all season (wonder why).

He did a double take as he was finally leaving and asked me "what is that a bazooka!?!". I was just like ahhh hahah no its a shotgun.....If anti hunters only new some of the fudds walking around our there [laugh]

Just curious, not being an ahole. How far have you found the KSG to accurately group slugs....

Most the shots are 50 yards and under anyway.....bad ass woods weapon if it'll group out that far.

Tell me about it. With shotgun season so short too - those who work for a living get to go twice and that's it.

I recently spoke to the state rep. who has sponsored some legislation on this issue. Originally I believe it was hunting in general on Sundays and now I think the only bill left pending in limbo is for allowing bow hunting on Sundays. This is a hold over from the old blue laws that's been taken up by moon bats that want to be able to run, bike and walk their dogs in the woods during deer season..............I think with some focus and work this could be overcome based on what's happened in neighboring states to include NY. NY realized there was only one way to get the deer kill they wanted and that was to open Sunday hunting and change opening day from a Monday to a Saturday.....Google the issue of Sunday hunting in MA and call your state rep. If we can get bow hunting its a start................

I recently spoke to the state rep. who has sponsored some legislation on this issue. Originally I believe it was hunting in general on Sundays and now I think the only bill left pending in limbo is for allowing bow hunting on Sundays. This is a hold over from the old blue laws that's been taken up by moon bats that want to be able to run, bike and walk their dogs in the woods during deer season..............I think with some focus and work this could be overcome based on what's happened in neighboring states to include NY. NY realized there was only one way to get the deer kill they wanted and that was to open Sunday hunting and change opening day from a Monday to a Saturday.....Google the issue of Sunday hunting in MA and call your state rep. If we can get bow hunting its a start................

I don't think there's one hunter who supports the law. Thought the libs in this state supported spending the Sabbath outside of church? Oh, wait, they're hypocrite ideologues.

Just curious, not being an ahole. How far have you found the KSG to accurately group slugs....

Most the shots are 50 yards and under anyway.....bad ass woods weapon if it'll group out that far.

Its grouping just as good as my mossberg 500 out to 75yrds. Im able to pull hand sized 3 shot groups at 100yrds but its tough with the bullseye reticle on the M21. A finer dot would serve much better at that distance

Nothing wrong with that man! If I get a hand sized group at 100 yds with my rem 1187 and a scope with sabot slugs it's a good day.

Back
Top Bottom