• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Deer season

Nothing wrong with that man! If I get a hand sized group at 100 yds with my rem 1187 and a scope with sabot slugs it's a good day.

Hand sized as in fingers FULLY extended! Either way it is good for the 18.5" barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

anyone going out tomorrow?

I am. Should he a great morning with the storm passing and freash snow.

Nothing wrong with that man! If I get a hand sized group at 100 yds with my rem 1187 and a scope with sabot slugs it's a good day.

I love trying to get rifle results out of a smooth bore slug gun. I've been trying to do that that since I was 16 with a single barrel Savage 20 ga. then a Mossberg 500 followed by some Ithaca Deer Slayers....

Years ago I was able to attend the Trumansburg (NY, home town) Fish & Game Club Turkey Shoot on the day before deer season. One of the contests they had had was shooting a clay pigeon tacked on a post at 100 yards @ $2.00 a shot. I put down a $10 bucks for 5 slugs and then promptly hit 3 for 5 in front of a sizeable crowd with my Ithaca Model 37 Deer Slayer with open sights. I felt like friggin Buffalo Bill!!

They hadn't had too many winners so this caused a bit of a ruckus when they had to hand over three turkeys...[smile] Several people came over to ask if they could look at my gun and commented on how a accurate it was....And then some cute girl and her Cornell BF asked me about my gun and with some coaxing I was able to get her up on the line to take a couple of shots with my 12 ga....Her BF was a real pussie but she was game and then my buddy took her over to shoot in the handgun contests....I gave the turkeys away to some girls with young kids and then went and drank a beer and ate some sausage....nothing like going home for deer season.....[grin]

photo deer1.jpg

Yeah. Even with the full rifle barrel and sabots i still think the smoothbore and cheap foster slugs get similar accuracy. My 1187 is not great at all.

I do get fantastic accuracy at 100 yards with the encore set up with a rifle barrel and hornady sabots. Like almost 1" groups.

The only positive on sabots is the barrel is a cinch to clean after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back form the AM hunt in North Andover saw some other hunters no deer and WAY to many bikers!

Very quiet out there today, didnt see asnything. I only heard maybe 3-4 shots until when I got out around 11 which was suprising because on my drive home from the forest, I saw that a ton of guys were out...deer must have been bedded down today or something.

I did however have my first experience with Snow Fleas today.....By the time I realized they were on me, I was covered. I had no ****ing clue what they were either so I was a little freaked lol. Luckily my phone had a bar of signal so a quick google search put my anxiety to ease as they dont bite or anything like that, but I still uprooted and moved to another spot about 100yrds away [laugh]. Creepy little things though, they jump like fleas and feel like little ticks crawling on you when they touch your skin.

10-27-12-snow-flea-pile-img_0159.jpg

73746408.U4CBM2EO.IMG_4826.jpg

Last edited:
I lost one of my favorite knives while pushing through the thick shit today. Buck 110 with my initials engraved on it. Sonofaf*ckinbitch.
Saw lots of healthy doe though, with no doe tag.

Back
Top Bottom