• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun deer season

I live in MA i don't think I can bring a gun back from outside the state. Anyone know where i can find Blackpowder rifles or a bow in ma now?

I live in Somerville, right next to Cambridge, across the sewer from Boston. I just brought back a muzzleloader from Maine. Even bought it from a retired NH cop. I had the frickin' New England trifecta going. (I was checking out the backside of a girl with a dartmouth shirt on, but wtf is a quadfecta?)

"girl with a dartmouth shirt on, but wtf is a quadfecta?) "

A quadfecta is nothing, because you already had NH from the retired NH cop! :)

Happy shootin'

What about black powder just as hard to learn?

Black powder is easier to learn and if you are a member at a local range I am sure that someone can show you the ropes. A lot will depend on what you buy for a BP rifle. I shoot an older side lock percussion rifle and it took awhile to figure out what patch, ball, and powder load gave me the best accuracy. The newer in lines are easier but still can use some tweaking to work up the most accurate load.

Bob

I'll be going out tomorrow.
Not much luck even spotting a deer since my incident a while ago.

Tomorrow should be raining/snowing in the morning. I am going to try and stalk with my bow.

Was in HP today and saw some exciting stuff, however... I HEARD a ton of fighting some doe bleating and a couple grunts. Figured I wouldn't be hearing that this late. I'll be out Weds. In a new spot, hunkered down between piles of droppings! Hah!

A little rant though, are these joggers effing daffy? I saw several wearing brown and white jackets, or all black. No hi-vis colors at all. Come the eff on!

Wish I was into archery, 170# doe in my yard this morning, walking around, nibbling on the grass.
And I have a doe tag for this zone too!

Was in HP today and saw some exciting stuff, however... I HEARD a ton of fighting some doe bleating and a couple grunts. Figured I wouldn't be hearing that this late. I'll be out Weds. In a new spot, hunkered down between piles of droppings! Hah!

A little rant though, are these joggers effing daffy? I saw several wearing brown and white jackets, or all black. No hi-vis colors at all. Come the eff on!

It is late for that. Some bucks are dropping already. It could have been another hunter.

Bob

Bow season ends dec 31 how is it to late?

You are going to get proficient enough with a bow between now and then to actually hunt with it?

is it that hard to learn a compound bow?

Not hard to learn, but takes quite awhile to master.

You need lots and lots and lots of practice at various distances and heights.

Depends. Do you just want to take a shot at a deer, or actually hit it (or kill it for that matter)?

Good. Do that until next season and you should be good to go.

I was thinking the same things. I keep going back and forth on buying a bow. Usually, I really start thinking around October or so, and by then I figure it is too late. I would want to be out there all Spring, Summer, and Fall getting ready. I would not want to wound or cripple an animal; plus I would want something to put in the freezer. I would never take a shot if I didn't think I would hit exactly where I needed to.

That said, next week might be a good time to pick up a used bow. Dibs.

I was thinking the same things. I keep going back and forth on buying a bow. Usually, I really start thinking around October or so, and by then I figure it is too late. I would want to be out there all Spring, Summer, and Fall getting ready. I would not want to wound or cripple an animal; plus I would want something to put in the freezer. I would never take a shot if I didn't think I would hit exactly where I needed to.

That said, next week might be a good time to pick up a used bow. Dibs.

It's really just about being smart. As difficult as it may be, don't take shots you aren't comfortable with.

With someone to help you, it won't take long to consistently make close shots. The more you practice, the larger your comfort zone.

One thing I can't stress enough: if you hunt from a stand, practice from a stand.

Could be, but I just found two new rubs, don't feel fake either. New since my last walk about through there, which was Sunday.

I'd drawn a buck in using a call the last couple times out recently. Yesterday, even with the wind kicking, he came around again. Busted me though. A doe "groan" seems to be irresistible? The last hour of light has been producing the most activity in my woods.

With the lack of snow cover, I'm using stand setups. Those leaves are mighty crunchy when frozen. Today, I'm going to try a slightly different setup hoping the wind is in my favor.

It's really just about being smart. As difficult as it may be, don't take shots you aren't comfortable with.

With someone to help you, it won't take long to consistently make close shots. The more you practice, the larger your comfort zone.

One thing I can't stress enough: if you hunt from a stand, practice from a stand.

Regardless of the weapon you are using.

Bob

This has been a really strange year. I found a fresh scrape this afternoon when I was out with the MuzzleLoader. I don't ever recall seeing one this late.

Bob

If you guys were tree stand hunting right now, would it still be appropriate to use calls and if so which ones?

I have a long can call and a buck grunt tube.

Only a few days left.

Back
Top Bottom