Shotgun deer season

it's the "used correctly" part is where the devil is found.

So, a question to folks that have been going out, and it may help mordeeb...

Has anyone found a rub this year? (Bonus points for it being in harold parker.) I've seen none between HP and Martin Burns.

I've seen one scrape that was fresh, and tons of droppings, but not a single rub.

In general I have seen a lot less rubs and scrapes this season. I shot a 5 pointer last Thursday and he stunk of the rut. I have also seen more active scrapes in the last week than I have prior to the season. in central Mass.

In general scents can and do work great when used properly but:

I have had doe in estrus scents blow out does so if you have a doe tag you might not want to use it. If a doe is not in heat she does not want to be harassed by a horny buck. If I have a doe tag I generally do not put out doe in estrus scents.

Scents also have to be handled correctly and not contaminated with human scent. wear gloves and practice a good scent control regimen.

I try to stay away from the more popular scents as many hunters use them improperly and/or do not practice good scent control and educate the deer as the deer will associate that scent with human activity and danger.

I tend to use less common (read not over the counter at DSG or Cabela's) when I use them and I use them sparingly.

When used correctly they work amazingly well and I have had bucks come in "on a string" to them.

JMO / JME

Bob

Good point about the estrus scent. I spotted my first non-antlered deer today, but it was from my backyard trail cam. She was there yesterday, on a Sunday. Just after shooting time. She's good at this!

Anyone try skunk oil for cover scent? I've used it for coyote setups. The stuff is beyond potent.

I use calls all the time. They work. I grunted in a 150 pound six point from 100 yards away last thursday...shot him at 2 yards with the bow...came in like he was on a string...right to the tree...looking for what made the grunt.......thing with calls is, make sure they are behind a tree, or somewhere they cant look right up and see you. Cause they know exactly how far and where it comes from. On the ground...forget calls, they'll look right at you and see you. Calls work great though.....rattling, bleats, and grunts...had success with all of them.

I've seen does react negatively to scents, ...I stopped using them years ago. Last thing I want is to scare off a doe during the rut....I want it around....in CT archery, ...sometimes I shoot a doe and if they fall close and theres plenty of hunting time left, I scoot down the tree and set them up like they are bedded acting as a decoy.

From CMR 321.3.02(4) as referenced in the deer hunting regulations

Decoy means an artificial or natural replica or silhouette of a deer, including taxidermy mounts and preparations of a like nature as well as live deer held under restraint.

That's already been established, what has not is base conjecture on whether or not in practice it won't get your cornholed by the local EPO.

another off topic question but do you still have to have the deer exposed when driving? I only have an SUV and don't want to toss the deer on the roof.

Yes, Part of it is supposed to be visible until the official metal tag is affixed to the deer at the tagging station.

After this, it no longer needs to be visible.

Yes, Part of it is supposed to be visible until the official metal tag is affixed to the deer at the tagging station.

After this, it no longer needs to be visible.

I think this changed shortly after they started the Quabbin hunts and deer no longer have to be visible. It is no longer in the abstracts.

Bob

I think this changed shortly after they started the Quabbin hunts and deer no longer have to be visible. It is no longer in the abstracts.

Bob

On page 39 of the abstracts, under the heading of "Tagging Requirements", you will find it written as I stated. I also thought that this was changed until I found it as written.

What I suggest, and intend to do is to put the gutted deer in the front seat, on a tarp of course with its head turned to the right so all the other drivers can see it.

That should be visible enough.

On page 39 of the abstracts, under the heading of "Tagging Requirements", you will find it written as I stated. I also thought that this was changed until I found it as written.

I stand corrected. Thank you. I must have missed it this morning.

I do clearly remember being advised to conceal the deer at the Quabbin hunt but that was during the early years when the protesting was going on though.

Bob

Bob

This was true in 1992, the first year they opened the Prescott Peninsula section of the Quabbin. At the pre hunt seminar, they made a big deal that all deer needed to be hidden. They were expecting all sorts or PETA protesters and didn't want to taunt them with deer strapped across the hood.

As a result, we had to get a bit ummm creative with a Jeep Cherokee and 3 deer:

QuabbinDeerCherokee.jpg

This was true in 1992, the first year they opened the Prescott Peninsula section of the Quabbin. At the pre hunt seminar, they made a big deal that all deer needed to be hidden. They were expecting all sorts or PETA protesters and didn't want to taunt them with deer strapped across the hood.

As a result, we had to get a bit ummm creative with a Jeep Cherokee and 3 deer:

QuabbinDeerCherokee.jpg

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I never saw so many deer in two days in this state. That was something. What a contrast to today. I hunted the Prescott peninsula December 1st and 2nd. 14 deer were checked in on the first day and three more had been checked in when I left at 1:00 PM on the second deer. That makes the tally (at that point) 17 deer for 400++ hunters over two days.

Bob

I went back a few years ago and it was an entirely different place. In 1992 there was absolutely NO undergrowth, as the deer had browsed it all. You could see a long ways. I bet I saw 100 deer in the 2 days I was there. There were lots and lots of deer and some TREMENDOUS bucks taken. The doe in the picture above weighed 147lbs

When I went back the undergrowth had taken over, and it was essentially the same as any other New England woods. In the 2 days there the last time I went, I saw a grand total of 2 flags. I don't recall how many deer were taken, but I don't remember many and certainly don't remember any bruiser bucks.

Hunting there now is essentially no different than anywhere else. The state had a tremendous opportunity to manage that area for trophy deer. Unfortunately, all they wanted to do was get the numbers down and keep them down. They succeeded at that, but squandered a fantastic opportunity to create a world class hunting opportunity in a very special place.

Went to Dracut/Tyngesboro state forest this morning with my 13yo son. no one else in the woods...spent two hours there, saw one squirrel! Surprises me, the forest is 8mi from my house, I have deer in my woods weekly!!

Did see something a little 'off' on the way out. Two men, 40-45yo walking in on the main trail, no orange, regular street clothes, not hiking clothes. Walk up towards us:
man: "Hey I forgot it was hunting season!"
me: yup, all month
Man: see anyone else? other hunters? hear any shots?
me: no, nothing
man: so you didn't see anyone else in there?
me: nope

I hope the deer don't choke on the rubbers. [thinking] [puke]

I went back a few years ago and it was an entirely different place. In 1992 there was absolutely NO undergrowth, as the deer had browsed it all. You could see a long ways. I bet I saw 100 deer in the 2 days I was there. There were lots and lots of deer and some TREMENDOUS bucks taken. The doe in the picture above weighed 147lbs

When I went back the undergrowth had taken over, and it was essentially the same as any other New England woods. In the 2 days there the last time I went, I saw a grand total of 2 flags. I don't recall how many deer were taken, but I don't remember many and certainly don't remember any bruiser bucks.

Hunting there now is essentially no different than anywhere else. The state had a tremendous opportunity to manage that area for trophy deer. Unfortunately, all they wanted to do was get the numbers down and keep them down. They succeeded at that, but squandered a fantastic opportunity to create a world class hunting opportunity in a very special place.

Well said.

The success rate is actually far less than it is in the rest of the state.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom