Shotgun deer season

So I spent a few hours yesterday in Harold Parker, did some traveling to the north end of the park. Hit some spots where I had seen active beds during turkey season and went to check on six stands I knew about. Of the six, 4 had been moved, 1 destroyed by a tree and one might still be active. (Left a branch on it to find out.) Was really odd. All the beds that I had seen in spring are all cold. Didn't see much other sign either. I think too may trails in that end of the park, plus hunters have moved them a lot.

They were easy to find in spring though.

So I spent a few hours yesterday in Harold Parker, did some traveling to the north end of the park. Hit some spots where I had seen active beds during turkey season and went to check on six stands I knew about. Of the six, 4 had been moved, 1 destroyed by a tree and one might still be active. (Left a branch on it to find out.) Was really odd. All the beds that I had seen in spring are all cold. Didn't see much other sign either. I think too may trails in that end of the park, plus hunters have moved them a lot.

They were easy to find in spring though.

I think I know where you are, based on the destroyed stand. They move south of there and across the road as the season progresses, typically.

I plan on just sitting in a chair in the north swampy area see what comes, can you shoot near the roads that go within the park the ones that have gates or no?

I plan on just sitting in a chair in the north swampy area see what comes, can you shoot near the roads that go within the park the ones that have gates or no?

The abstracts say:

"A discharge setback, as illustrated in Figure 1, is an area defined by state law which prohibits the discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow across or within 150 feet of a “hard-surfaced highway” or the possession of a loaded firearm or hunting “by any means on the land of another within 500 feet of a dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.” This statute has been around for over 50 years to provide a “safety zone” for the public, landowners, and hunters alike."

It has nothing to do with gates or asphalt.

Bob

Then you just have to hope that this is what their definition also reads:
high·way/ˈhīˌwā/
Noun:
A main road, esp. one connecting major towns or cities.
(chiefly in official use) A public road.

Martlet: productive for more than ticks? I've been wondering if I shouldn't just set my sights further west.

Then you just have to hope that this is what their definition also reads:

Martlet: productive for more than ticks? I've been wondering if I shouldn't just set my sights further west.

West within the park, or west as in Western MA?

I hunt there because it's close and I know it well. I don't hunt there because it's a great place to hunt, particularly during shotgun season.

West as in West of Concord, East of Springfield.

I'm not sure I want to burn 4 days at a place I've never been though. Just throwing that around in my head.

I hunt in an area where town bylaws prohibit the discharge of a firearm.

It's ok to Bow hunt during shotgun season right? I still have to wear blaze orange hat and vest?

yeah just make sure that smae bylaw doesn't prohibit the shooting of a bow as well, which a lot of them do.

Newton bylaws consider a bow as a firearm. Spent a month getting that figured out with them.

Thats horse shit. This is what newton has for bylaws pertaining to hunting or shooting
Newton Sec. 20‐62. Weapons—discharging firearms. No person shall, except in the performance of some legal duty, discharge any firearm upon or across any street or public grounds within the city, except by permission of the board of aldermen, nor upon any private property without the consent of the owner or tenant thereof. (Rev. Ords. 1973, §14‐14; Rev . Ords. 1995, §20‐14) State law reference—ffenses​

Thats horse shit. This is what newton has for bylaws pertaining to hunting or shooting
Newton Sec. 20‐62. Weapons—discharging firearms. No person shall, except in the performance of some legal duty, discharge any firearm upon or across any street or public grounds within the city, except by permission of the board of aldermen, nor upon any private property without the consent of the owner or tenant thereof. (Rev. Ords. 1973, §14‐14; Rev . Ords. 1995, §20‐14) State law reference—ffenses​

Didn't keep the emails because they pissed me off, but that's the bylaw they sent me with an explanation how a bow is a firearm, and it would be far too dangerous to have bloodthirsty hunters running around Newton neighborhoods.

I am well aware of the differences. I spent a month dealing with a couple numb see you next tuesdays going on about that after I got charged by a big buck out near a ball park there. Only to found out after a couple marathon phone sessions that where I was located was actually Weston, and that I'd have to go start all over again with a new crew of morons, I decided to abandon the whole thing.

WTF do I expect? TBH, not a whole helluva lot, and I got that in spades.

Has anyone been there since shotgun season opened? I was planning on my first day of hunting this Sat up in the park good idea??

Back
Top Bottom