• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun deer season

So I took a hunter saftey course and then got a deer permit online is that all I need to go out and hunt? I have a 12ga shotgun do I need to have a tube plug in? Would a scope be needed also for the shotgun?

What state are you hunting in? Different states have different regulations regarding round capacity and some require the use of open sights versus scoped shotguns. A little more info would help.

Download and READ all the Mass hunting laws. Then follow them. You'll need an orange hat & vest. You'll want some camo clothes (deer do see blue, i.e. jeans), warm waterproof boots. maybe gloves, etc. You'll need ammo. Do you have a rifled slug barrel, or just the regular shotgun barrel? Get the right ammo for either, and take out the choke tube if that's a concern. No you don't need a tube plug. That's only for waterfowling. But for the most part if you're using a slug you only need the one in the chamber, and maybe one more for a follow-up shot.

I started hunting just last year, and got a 5-pt buck while still hunting. Open sites (no scope) at ~35 yards. Most shotgun opportunities are going to be from 50 yards or less, where a scope isn't really necessary.

I will be hunting in MA, i have a smooth bore 28 inch barrel and a 20 inch rifled slug barrel. I have a orange vest and hat and waterproof camo, along with goretex camo boots and gloves.

Familiarize yourself with how to field dress a deer, and buy a knife with a gut hook. Also, have an idea of how you're going to transport a ~125 lb. bleeding dead animal from where you are in the field to the nearest check station (and know where the check stations are in your area).

And if you haven't already, test fire some slugs. Those things kick.

Definitely get a few different types of slugs that are designed for your rifled slug barrel. I had good luck with the Remington Premier Accutip bonded sabot slug. Hornady SST is also a good one. Buy a couple boxes of each. One to practice with, and one to take hunting...

I had only seen a couple videos on how to field dress a deer, but was able to do a pretty fair job if I say so myself. I have a "wicked sharp" Browning folder. No gut hook, but anything you get really needs to be super sharp. Watch the on-line videos through a couple times so you know what to expect. Get some field dressing gloves, too. Dick's will have them. Butt out tool, too.

Other things to consider: Topo map of the area you'll be. Put it in a ziplock bag. Compass or GPS. Durable flashlight. A hunting pack to carry it all in.

After you get a deer, you'll need one of those things to hang it with. Gambrel, I think it's called.

Bring a 4 foot or so length of rope for an aid in dragging that big buck when you shoot it. Plastic zip lock if you want to save the heart and the liver. Put an extra pair of boots and socks in your truck in case you get your feet wet. Then you wont have to go home to change. Find an extra plastic case for your tag to be placed in after you shoot a deer. Then pin it to one of its ears. You wont lose it that way.

I was planning on going to Harold Parker State Forest anyone ever hunted there for deer? Also where would be a good butcher shop near that area?

The deer usually hang out near the parking areas, then move around when hunters come out for lunch.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I need a butcher, also what is the best way to put the tags on the deer i got my tags online so it is just paper.

Just look up deer processing online, there are a few places close by to you I'm sure? As for the tags, I fill it out, put in a ziplock bag and ziptie it to the deer, like a leg, or ear, or antler (havent done that one yet).

I went today at about 3:30pm. Park at the main headquarters and walked in on the NA2 trail then to the NA5 trail didn't see any deer or sign of deer. I didn't think I would at the time but I though I might see some rubbings on the trees. Is this park good for deer?

I went today at about 3:30pm. Park at the main headquarters and walked in on the NA2 trail then to the NA5 trail didn't see any deer or sign of deer. I didn't think I would at the time but I though I might see some rubbings on the trees. Is this park good for deer?

There are deer on the park.

I got two deer ticks on me so I guess they are out there, any suggested paths to take? Also what do you guys use to keep ticks away?

Back
Top Bottom