• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun ammo - Is there really any difference between brands

I'm thinking I just did this past weekend. With Holliston Firearms going out of business I made an offer on a nice Browning Citori CX that I had been eyeing for a while. Browning is also having a $100 rebate on over unders so the price is too good to pass up for something I've been wanting for a while.

Though I have to say that I've been shooting trap with a Mossberg Silver Reserve II that I have replaced the firing pins and added a Fiber optic site to replace the bead on the rib. They get a bad rap, but this one has been shooting well for me. Once I get the Browning I not sure if I'll sell the Mossberg or keep it as a back up gun.

Let me know what you think of the Citori CX when you get some rounds thru it. I'm thinking of picking up the CXS for sporting clays. I have a benelli SS that I really like for clays and it shoots well for me, but I want to use a o/u. I have a beretta Silver pigeon sporting that I am always fighting with, never consistent. I really want this gun to work, but no beretta has ever shot well for me. Had a SV10 and A400 that I struggled with too. I rent a older citori field. It was beat to shit, big dent in the rib, but I was crushing clays with it. I'm hoping the CXS will fit the same

I don't think it matters for 16 yard trap. Until you're breaking 25 regularly, the cheapest ammo should be fine. Very rarely do I miss a bird and wonder why. If I miss, it's me, not the load.

I usually use Universals or similar since that's what's available. This season I used Win AA. My average was the same.

If you're not certain your shotgun fits and you haven't patterned your choke, you should not be spending extra money on lead.

I know this tread is about trap, but I am very impressed with Federal 00 Buck with flight Control wad. Very tight groups and great accuracy... for a shot shell.
~Matt

iu

Watch this dramatic video. It's what sold me on the flight control wad... [smile]

Last edited:
Yes, there are differences in DRAM (I like to run at 3) and shot size, etc. I reload my own rounds, so while I like the Red Winchester AAs straight out of the box, the Remington STSs (green and gold cased) can be reloaded a few more times than the WAAs, so I try to pick those up whenever I see them on the field. For a novice shooter, I don’t believe there’s a discernible difference. For an experienced shooter chasing 25s, 50s, etc., in my opinion only, I think the difference is in shot size more than anything else. I load #9 magnum and am used to them, but everyone has their own preferences.

Its all in your head. For 16 yards try this.
Buy a mixed bag of ammo 71/2,8,9s different brands from cheapy to the bestest most expensivest- keeping in line with the rules of trap. 1 1/8oz loads cant exceed 1290fps its a little faster for 1 and 7/8oz loads......been a few years. Buy enough for at least 2-3 rounds?

now go to the range and ask a fellow shooter to help you.
Dump the ammo into a ammo pouch and mix it up.
have your range helper load your shotty with out you seeing whats in it.
The helper should take note of which brand/type shell was loaded and lost or dead target.
You should also take note of what you thought was the load brand , pellet size , velocity .
Theres only a matter of 50-70_fps difference in legal "trap loads"

I often try to imagine what the original colonists must have thought about "plinking".
I'm sure even children would get a cuff on the backside of their tri-corn if they tried wasting powder and ball...

They very likely got their "practice" hunting for the table on a regular basis.....probably more than many gun owner shoot today with ammo widely available.
They learned how their rifle's shot and remembered it.

Another thing to think about
The Target crests at 30’ from the trap house at 10’ at aprox 50mph.
1-1/8th oz loads 1290fps is what 900mph or so.
Now if you actually crony some shotgun ammo dont be surprised if you see a deviation of 40-to 80fps

Best thing to do is make sure your shotgun and choke combo are shooting where your looking and bust that clay on its way up

Another thing to think about
The Target crests at 30’ from the trap house at 10’ at aprox 50mph.
1-1/8th oz loads 1290fps is what 900mph or so.
Now if you actually crony some shotgun ammo dont be surprised if you see a deviation of 40-to 80fps
Best thing to do is make sure your shotgun and choke combo are shooting where your looking and bust that clay on its way up

Mac, I am not trying to be an a**h**e, but if you are on the 16 yard line, the target in the house is 16 yards from you, when you call pull you see an orange streak and pretty much are able to focus in about another 15 yards which has the target at about 30 yards from you. The target speed per ATA rules should be 42 - 43 mph and target crests further out on the field.
I agree on the differences in speed on ammo from the box as they state a certain % tolerance. Yes choke is important, and a true trap gun is set up to break the clay while it is still on the rise.
IMHO yes there is a difference in brands of shells. pellet hardness does vary between brands, bottom line is shoot what you can afford and feel comfortable with. For 16 yd singles and doubles I personally like #8 shot 1145fps 1 1/8 oz load. If you are going to shoot in a big registered shoot and you feel good about your shooting, spend the few extra bucks and use the premium ammo for that special shoot.

Mac, I am not trying to be an a**h**e, but if you are on the 16 yard line, the target in the house is 16 yards from you, when you call pull you see an orange streak and pretty much are able to focus in about another 15 yards which has the target at about 30 yards from you. The target speed per ATA rules should be 42 - 43 mph and target crests further out on the field.
I agree on the differences in speed on ammo from the box as they state a certain % tolerance. Yes choke is important, and a true trap gun is set up to break the clay while it is still on the rise.
IMHO yes there is a difference in brands of shells. pellet hardness does vary between brands, bottom line is shoot what you can afford and feel comfortable with. For 16 yd singles and doubles I personally like #8 shot 1145fps 1 1/8 oz load. If you are going to shoot in a big registered shoot and you feel good about your shooting, spend the few extra bucks and use the premium ammo for that special shoot.

I'm assuming you mean use premium ammo for a special shoot.....after you've patterned it in the gun/choke yorlur going to use in the competition right?

I've had "premium" Ioads pattern worse than run of the mill loads in some of my guns and chokes. By "worse" pattern I mean holes in the shot pattern.

Again.....it's not about "brand" or "premium" load that automatically will perform better. You have to test them in the gun and choke your using to determine how it will pattern.

Never liked Rio shells. And only buy Estates if they're a great deal. Imo. Or just buy good Win AAs or Rem STS and save them, sell them, reload them.

I'm assuming you mean use premium ammo for a special shoot.....after you've patterned it in the gun/choke yorlur going to use in the competition right?

I've had "premium" Ioads pattern worse than run of the mill loads in some of my guns and chokes. By "worse" pattern I mean holes in the shot pattern.

Again.....it's not about "brand" or "premium" load that automatically will perform better. You have to test them in the gun and choke your using to determine how it will pattern.
Oh most definitely you are 100% correct. Different chokes by manufacturer, type of metal, and different shells ALL pattern a little different. If you are a serious shooter, you MUST know where the gun is going to shoot. That said, I pretty much use the same choke and shells for different parts of a program ( singles, caps, and doubles). After a winter of shooting league, before the start of the spring registered targets I make a trip to the pattern board and use a piece of cardboard and Kraft paper so I can write on it what ammo, choke, and where comb and rib are set so I can compare to the last time I checked.
Enjoy shooting!

Oh most definitely you are 100% correct. Different chokes by manufacturer, type of metal, and different shells ALL pattern a little different. If you are a serious shooter, you MUST know where the gun is going to shoot. That said, I pretty much use the same choke and shells for different parts of a program ( singles, caps, and doubles). After a winter of shooting league, before the start of the spring registered targets I make a trip to the pattern board and use a piece of cardboard and Kraft paper so I can write on it what ammo, choke, and where comb and rib are set so I can compare to the last time I checked.
Enjoy shooting!
Good stuff.

I'm more of a Hunter than a clay shooter, although I do shoot trap and sporting clays regularly.

The whole "what brand of shell is best" debate gets alot of air time in the hunting circles as well. I've found the ""cheap" Remington extended range (green and yellow box) to pattern well in my rabbit/upland bird gun and I stack it deep on my shelves in sizes 7 1/2, 6, 5, and 4. I've had new hunters that I've taken out for pheasant show up with the "prairy storm" or whatever high dollar loads they can find and never even checked the pattern. I tell em with my $12 boxes of 1 1/4 ounce green and yellow box if I hit em they die if I don't they fly". Higher dollar loads don't always mean better results in the field. Gotta test em at the pattern board and for the money per box......the green and yellow box has been putting game in my vest for many years....snow shoes, squirrel, grouse, pheasant, cotton tail......hammers em all very well.

It's just kind of a pet peave with me.......guys that just buy the highest dollar loads they can find and never even test them out. It's a waste of money.

Funny story.....last snow shoe hare hunt I went on in Maine I went out with my usual guide and he had a new hunter out with us. He asked him at the breakfast table the morning before we went out "what's best to use.....5s or 6s and what brand". Guide looked over his glasses at the guy and said "the rabbits don't give a shit"! :)

Last edited:
Yes tour correct the target height is set 10’ high 30’ from the house it will rise a bit more before after that. Im just saying that I cant see shot going 1290 -1350 fps being a condition for “loosing” trarget.
Like I said the SD in velocity even with AA or Rem Premiers will probably be
Yes , poor writing on my part , that should have read more like crest at 30 yards and they set the angle at 30 feet from the trap machine level with the arm to aprox 9-10 feet.
The speed was a IIRC figure or 50mph or so. Either way my point is the ammo is the least of your issues when your stuck on 24s

Back
Top Bottom