Shooting in the woods in MA?

Why? Isn't it getting to be close to hunting season? I don't hunt, so I am not sure. There are so many LEGAL places to shoot, why take the chance?

Is there anywhere I can shoot (legally) in the woods around Attleboro, or anywhere in MA for that matter?

Why? Isn't it getting to be close to hunting season? I don't hunt, so I am not sure. There are so many LEGAL places to shoot, why take the chance?

While I see your point and am not sure of your age, plinking is fun...I grew up plinking with bb guns then .22's in the forests of Massachusetts with my grandfather, then Northeast Ohio after my parents sentenced us to live there in the late 70's. I hit spots in the woods around Blanford, set up and plink. It's much less formal and to me - a lot more relaxing than gearing up and going to the range. To me, it's almost a right of passage - a tradition sadly going the way of drive-in movies....

That may be true. I don't think hunters will take to kindly to random gun fire out in the woods. Just my opinion. I go to ranges for a reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't there public ranges in Attleboro somewhere? Go pay the $20 and shoot for a few hours.

That may be true. I don't think hunters will take to kindly to random gun fire out in the woods. Just my opinion. I go to ranges for a reason.

Eh...I never had an issue, but again - we aren't exactly wall-to-wall people out here in the sticks anyway...I hop on my quad with my 10/22, cruise out to a spot that looks good and plink till the cows come home...

Eh...I never had an issue, but again - we aren;t exactly wall-to-wall people out here in the sticks anyway...I hop on my quad with my 10/22, cruise out to a spot that looks good and plink till the cows come home...

Yeah if you live in some hick part of MA, like Florida or somewhere way up there, sure have at it. Attleboro? That's a little more populated.

- - - Updated - - -

**** them. They don't own them.

No one said hunters own the woods. I guess to me it's just common sense. Especially around hunting season. There are ranges on every street corner, why take the chance?

Jose - one of the things I miss about Northeast Ohio is the gigantic beech forests. Do you have those in your neck of the state? God, those were amazing places to wander around an plink...

Nope, SW OH is the opposite: flat ass farmland as far as the eye can see and urbanization out the ass from Dayton to Cincinnati. The only public land around here are Metroparks and as you can imagine someone wandering them with a rifle is going to get the Highway Patrol/Park Rangers/Sheriff's Dept going looky loo in a hurry.

To go off and wander around one needs to drive south and east of here to the state and national forests that line up the south central part of the state.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess to me it's just common sense. Especially around hunting season. There are ranges on every street corner, why take the chance?
Common sense says public land is just that: open to the public.

What chance are you taking, getting shot? Really? Don't wear a white cap and a brown shirt.

Nope, SW OH is the opposite: flat ass farmland as far as the eye can see and urbanization out the ass from Dayton to Cincinnati. The only public land around here are Metroparks and as you can imagine someone wandering them with a rifle is going to get the Highway Patrol/Park Rangers/Sheriff's Dept going looky loo in a hurry.

To go off and wander around one needs to drive south and east of here to the state and national forests that line up the south central part of the state.

- - - Updated - - -

Common sense says public land is just that: open to the public.

What chance are you taking, getting shot? Really? Don't wear a white cap and a brown shirt.

If I had to pick reasons to move back to Ohio, those beech forests would be among them. They were a magical place. The beech trees out here are toothpicks in comparison. I used to blast fox squirrels out of them regularly and plink to my hearts content. The fallen beech trunks made excellent backstops...

To each their own. Join and support a local club.

Why not do both? I have been a member of my club for 20-years and still find great enjoyment finding a patch of forest and plinking...You should try it sometime - I think you may find it to be quite relaxing...

Why not do both? I have been a member of my club for 20-years and still find great enjoyment finding a patch of forest and plinking...You should try it sometime - I think you may find it to be quite relaxing...

I think shooting in the woods is fun. I use to shoot on my best friends grandfathers private land when I was much younger. We didn't have much to worry about. 150+ acres of private land with no one around.

I prefer the range, that's all. Maybe I am jaded living in this state. To me, around hunting season it doesn't seem very smart.

It's bow season.

Even on an LTC-A, carry of a firearm in the woods is a no-no.

Read the abstracts:
http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/

In addition to the hunting regs, many town have restrictions on the discharge of firearms, and then, you have the required setbacks from roads and buildings, too.

Last edited:
When I was young it was not a problem but now there is no where you could go I just think peoples thoughts about guns have changed that is why no body goes in the woods to plink any more . But you have a good point about pissing off the hunters I'm sure that if some one was sitting around all day with his bow and then some one showed up with a 22 just making noise and scared off the deer he was stalking that could be a problem .

How do you hunt ducks and pheasant with no firearm?

Good question, also, I don't hunt but I do go walking on paths through the woods every weekend (yes I wear orange) and always carry my snubnose .38 for protection. Does this mean a non hunter cannot carry in any woodlands area during hunting season or just WMA's?

Sad to see the 'just go to the range' comments. Jeebus what happened to Americans? walking around in the woods plinking is more American then baseball and apple pie combined. Personally I cant stand ranges, boring as heck.

It's sad. While I love going to the range, some of my best shooting experiences are found plinking in the woods...I've had my Ruger 10/22 since I was 16 and at 46, can safely say that 90% of the countless rounds I've fired out of it have been in some quiet spot of the forest...Some do not know what they're missing and like I said - much like drive-in movies, it seems to be passe...

Good question, also, I don't hunt but I do go walking on paths through the woods every weekend (yes I wear orange) and always carry my snubnose .38 for protection. Does this mean a non hunter cannot carry in any woodlands area during hunting season or just WMA's?

Technically they could probably try to charge you with poaching...but concealed means concealed....

I hunt alot - while bowhunting deer in Massachusetts you are not allowed to carry a firearm. The waterfowl and pheasant season runs pretty much the same time as archery deer so you are not prohibited from carrying a firearm in the woods during archery deer season - you are only prohobited from carrying a firearm if you are bowhunting deer.

In the MGLs, Firearm, Rifle, and Shotgun are individual, separate things.

[rolleyes]

As for carrying a shotgun during bow (or primitive) season, you are restricted as to what shot sizes you may have in your posession - poession of slugs, or buckshot, is not permitted.

As for the comments about "what happened?".....it's called progress. Farms are in need of protection, because the new McMansion owner that wanted the bucolic view does not like the smell of the manure; a gun being shot in the woods rates a "see [hear] something, say something" call to John Law; walking outside is silly, and suspicious, as ther's an app for that.

sigh......

yeah, id call it taking a few steps back. we have become so pussified we are loosing everything our forefathers enjoyed. My grandfather used to walk down the street with his shotgun on his back and his revolver on his side open. Shit, at middleschool he told me they would hold the kids guns at the front desk for safe keeping and so the kids could just grab their gun and hunt when the time came.

papi is probably turning in his grave right about now [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom