• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting in the woods in MA?

Yup. It does boggle the mind. MGL Chapter 140 Section 121:

“Firearm”, a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

Of course, this definition applies to Chapter 140. Most (all?) of the hunting laws are elsewhere in the MGL and may use a different definition.

I know several places in Southeastern Mass that you can shoot with no problems at all. My buddy and i took his AK and my AR out and must have ripped off 300 rounds or more between the two of us.

No, I wont tell you where. [dance]

Oh, there are places where it's possible.....but there are many, many more where it will cause dificulties.

And sharing is polite.

[laugh]

Is there anywhere I can shoot (legally) in the woods around Attleboro, or anywhere in MA for that matter?

I live in Attleboro.
Is there any where in Attleboro that I would be comfortable shooting in the woods without being harassed? Nope
I can't think of one place where a gunshot would not be heard by an easily frighted sheep

my two uncles got damn near arrested a few years ago patterning their turkey guns in the woods in n attlebro...

I'm in Taunton and fire right off the deck with the 22 and CCI quiets - not much louder than my pellet rifle. Anything louder gets a walk into the woods.

Never have had the local dog exterminators show up.

Go over to the range (Somerset Sportsman's Club) with the M1903 - don't have a good backstop.

I grew up hiking the areas around the quarries in Milford. We spent every day after school and most weekends in those woods. There were always people plinking somewhere in the area. We actually used to collect brass as kids, trying to get different calibers/manufacturers. Now that would be a felony. Fafard bought the old sand pits and put condos in there which pretty much put a stop to that. No one really shoots outside of ranges any more.

I grew up hiking the areas around the quarries in Milford. We spent every day after school and most weekends in those woods. There were always people plinking somewhere in the area. We actually used to collect brass as kids, trying to get different calibers/manufacturers. Now that would be a felony. Fafard bought the old sand pits and put condos in there which pretty much put a stop to that. No one really shoots outside of ranges any more.

It's sad that that has slipped away...We've collectively become a state full of pussies and yes men...Screw that shit. Anyone heads out this way, (exit 2) and wants to go plink old school - the right way - out in the woods where men shoot, drop me a PM....

I like Western MA, just got back from spending the weekend in Deerfield. It looks like all you need is a decent dual sport and a place to strap a 10/22 for a fun day.

Having lived in my area for over 55 years...I do miss what used to be...walking across the street and hunting pheasant in a huge corn field and plinking in my backyard.Those days are gone...there is still plenty of woods but progress is closing in rapidly.

100 feet from a road, and 500 feet from a dwelling without consent is legal. Also not law,but common sense, don't just shoot into the woods. Make sure you have a good back stop.

Back in August I was shooting at some sand pits on the Cape where we've been going randomly for over 10 years. We never had a problem until this one day. A buddy and I were shooting .22's at soda cans and two town cops (one armed with an AR) and one EPO came up behind us and yelled "hold your fire!". We unloaded and set the guns down and these officers told us it was illegal to shoot there. I argued with them, sited MA laws, and even the town's bylaws and the officer with the AR kept saying "No you can't shoot here." We left and that was it.

The following Monday I called and spoke to the chief of the natural resources dept in that town and he told me technically there is no law against shooting where we were shooting, but the residents that live near there will continue to call the police whenever they hear gunshots and that's just the way it is. [angry] So basically here it is: Expect to get harassed and possibly arrested if you're shooting in the woods in many places in MA, because the f*cking bed-wetting scared shitless sheep are going to drop a dime to the PD every time they hear so much as a firecracker.

how about the cape? i cant find anything aside from the ranges and it just honest to god gets boring plinking in a straight direction at some paper if that makes sense

**** them. They don't own them.
Right and when bubba, joe and uncle ted keep taking pot shots thats different than random gun shots
We often get deer on the range they dont even flinch . They are so used to gun shots my buddy and his dad hunt just off the club property and they can pop a few deer so easy its stupid.

how about the cape? i cant find anything aside from the ranges and it just honest to god gets boring plinking in a straight direction at some paper if that makes sense
From what I understand is you can shoot on private land. The hard part is getting permission to be on that land.
I dont know if its state law but I know some towns have banned discharging firearms on “public” property. Theres a few “public” open spaces around my area that you can only discharge firearm if hunting.
That said my neighbor had permission to shoot on the bog property across the street. Then about 12 years ago the property started changing hands like every 2 years so he gave up trying to get permission. Over the summer they leveled about 6 acres to put in solar panels and the back stop is now gone.

From what I understand is you can shoot on private land. The hard part is getting permission to be on that land.
I dont know if its state law but I know some towns have banned discharging firearms on “public” property. Theres a few “public” open spaces around my area that you can only discharge firearm if hunting.
this is what ive seen too they discourage target shooting in wma’s im in WMA 12 i know i cant have a pistol with me period. i remember years ago me and my father and two brothers were shooting 500 ft which i believe is the measurement you can properly shoot from any occupied or unoccupied dwelling and the dwelling was ours and the police were there in about 10 minutes. this was in Wellfleet MA.

Last edited:
Right and when bubba, joe and uncle ted keep taking pot shots thats different than random gun shots
We often get deer on the range they dont even flinch . They are so used to gun shots my buddy and his dad hunt just off the club property and they can pop a few deer so easy its stupid.
That comment is so old that dudes kids are probably posting on NES.

Having lived in my area for over 55 years...I do miss what used to be...walking across the street and hunting pheasant in a huge corn field and plinking in my backyard.Those days are gone...there is still plenty of woods but progress is closing in rapidly.
Even in the 80s as a kid I could walk down the street with a rifle be it air rifle or 22lr < might as well been any type of rifle. Go to the burned out train platform and start plinking at the trash and rats . Plus go do critter control at local dumps. With out even getting a second look , early 90s that started to change buy 1995 you could not get 50’ with out someone calling the cops?
Heck one of the local cops would park his cruiser down behind the platform and sleep right through us plinking.

this is what ive seen too they discourage target shooting in wma’s im in WMA 12 i know i cant have a pistol with me period. i remember years ago me and my father and two brothers were shooting 500 ft which i believe is the measurement you can properly shoot from any occupied or unoccupied dwelling and the dwelling was ours and the police were there in about 10 minutes. this was in Wellfleet MA.
I'm sure there is somewhere.

As a practical matter, unless you know a large landowner, or are one, you will likely have issues.

I was at a Scout camp down towards the Cape for an NRA course. Before the shotguns were brought out, the instructor called the local PD, so that when the !@#$%^&* calls came in, they knew that it was just on the established range at the Scout camp.

Between setback requirements, the perception that you're "hunting" if you're in the woods, and people calling 5-0 with stories of the Russian invasion at the start of Red Dawn (the original, not the [puke] remake), a range is the way to go.

I have to say, that were I a property owner, I'd be p!ssed if someone were to be plinking on my land....just because plinking to my mind means stuff other than paper, and stuff gets left behind.

Your best solution is to join a club.

I'm sure there is somewhere.

As a practical matter, unless you know a large landowner, or are one, you will likely have issues.

I was at a Scout camp down towards the Cape for an NRA course. Before the shotguns were brought out, the instructor called the local PD, so that when the !@#$%^&* calls came in, they knew that it was just on the established range at the Scout camp.

Between setback requirements, the perception that you're "hunting" if you're in the woods, and people calling 5-0 with stories of the Russian invasion at the start of Red Dawn (the original, not the [puke] remake), a range is the way to go.

I have to say, that were I a property owner, I'd be p!ssed if someone were to be plinking on my land....just because plinking to my mind means stuff other than paper, and stuff gets left behind.

Your best solution is to join a club.
Was that camp Norse ? Or Squanto
Both are huge …Norse is still as close to the middle if no where as you can get in this area. Squanto have not been in years. Might have had a lot of development over the years.
That said I had a “newer” neighbor stop and chit chat with me as they walked by. Someone let of a volley across the street on the far side of the bogs. Started to whine and just laughed .

Woods all over Lawrence, Dorchester, and more in Brocton !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom