Shipping a shotgun to the owner

I currently have about 60 pounds of halibut in my chest freezer from our trip up there, we got it processed and frozen and carried it home.
Did you win the derby? LOL. Homer had the derby for 34 years and ended it after 2019. You could buy a $10 ticket each day that you went fishing. Winner take all at the end of the season. The prize could hit over 40 grand. 'buts were taken over 400 lbs. Usually won by some tourist who didn't know what to do with the thing. I've fished many days and have bought many tickets and the biggest ones I've taken were around 15-20 pounds, while my sons and grandkids have taken many up to 150 pounds. I quit. Jack.

Last edited:
Did you win the derby? LOL. Homer had the derby for 34 years and ended it after 2019. You could buy a $10 ticket each day that you went fishing. Winner take all at the end of the season. The prize could hit over 40 grand. 'buts were taken over 400 lbs. Usually won by some tourist who didn't know what to do with the thing. I've fished many days and have bought many tickets and the biggest ones I've taken were around 15-20 pounds, while my sons and grandkids have taken many up to 150 pounds. I quit. Jack.
Just spoke with my son today, one of their captains had a 270 p0under last week...That seems amazing to me!

Where in AK? He must know someone who lives there who can loan him a shotgun. Or maybe rent one from a dealer. Not a hell of a lot to hunt in the summer. The small game up there are black bears, so go 12 ga. Tell him to check the hunting regs very carefully. F&G is pretty tough up there. Sometimes guides are required for non residents. Jack.
yep. if i was wondering around looking for game in Alaska, i would have a 12 Ga, with a bandelero of slug shells. "its the only way to be sure"

even if he is not out hunting bears, the scent of whatever he just shot will call to all the bears within miles

yep. if i was wondering around looking for game in Alaska, i would have a 12 Ga, with a bandelero of slug shells. "its the only way to be sure"

even if he is not out hunting bears, the scent of whatever he just shot will call to all the bears within miles
Gunshots up there are "dinner bells" to the bears. If you fish the creeks when the salmon are running, the bears are fishing too and are content. You avoid them and they avoid you. Does make you keep on your toes, though. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom