• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping a shotgun to the owner

Brin747

NES Member
I did a search but could not find an answer to this one. My son is living up in Alaska for the summer. He asked me if I could ship his .410 up to him so he can do some small game hunting while he's there.

From what I have gathered, this should be okay without using FFL's since there is no transfer of ownership taking place, I am shipping him his own firearm. However, I can't seem to find anything on the USPS website to back this up. I asked my local small town postmaster, but he thinks any firearms shipped must go through an FFL.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find an answer, and even better something I can bring in to the Post Office to show them when I ship it?

I don't have the answer to your but perhaps an alternate solution.
1. Assess what ammo is available
2. Buy a shotgun locally that will run that ammo. This is sometimes a state dependent thing though.

Shipping non flat rate to Alaska is cost prohibitive. About the only flat rate box that may work for a broken down shotgun is the large flat rate board game box and I don't think they offer them anymore.

Where in AK? He must know someone who lives there who can loan him a shotgun. Or maybe rent one from a dealer. Not a hell of a lot to hunt in the summer. The small game up there are black bears, so go 12 ga. Tell him to check the hunting regs very carefully. F&G is pretty tough up there. Sometimes guides are required for non residents. Jack.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
Edit: Licesed means FFL

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
Got it, so I would have to ship it to an FLL since I am not shipping it to myself?

He is in Homer for the summer. And he has checked the local shops, very slim pickings...
Nice. Son Mark is in Fritz Creek next to Homer. Son Lance is flying up there Wed. Mark knows the ins and outs. PM me if you want contact info. Also, they have flea markets on the spit. "Guns for sale". Jack.

Have you looked at UPS for your “sporting goods” needs?

I would avoid USPS personally
This. No way I’d use USPS. All my gun shipments go through FedEx. And I know FedEx is far from perfect but I think they’d be more reliable than USPS going to AK?

Nice. Son Mark is in Fritz Creek next to Homer. Son Lance is flying up there Wed. Mark knows the ins and outs. PM me if you want contact info. Also, they have flea markets on the spit. "Guns for sale". Jack.

My younger son graduated from college in May, and commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army the same day. (He was in ROTC)... He doesn't have to report until October so while we were up there in June for vacation he found a summer job and decided to go have an adventure. He is actually working for one of the fishing charter companies on the spit and living at a campground with only a motorcycle to get around. Not a bad deal for a 23 year old...

You can mail your own guns wherever you want assuming it’s legal to possess. Ive mailed myself my own guns before…Sometimes it’s just more convenient then flying with them. Especially if it’s not a planned out thing we’re all the sudden you need your gun for whatever reason

My younger son graduated from college in May, and commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army the same day. (He was in ROTC)... He doesn't have to report until October so while we were up there in June for vacation he found a summer job and decided to go have an adventure. He is actually working for one of the fishing charter companies on the spit and living at a campground with only a motorcycle to get around. Not a bad deal for a 23 year old...
Interesting. Wonder if that's why the .410. The larger halibut are sometimes shot in the head before they bring them into the boat, the .410 being the choice, so as not to blow the hook out of their mouths. The really big ones which could be a trophy ($$), cannot be perforated in any way, even gaffed. Jack.

Interesting. Wonder if that's why the .410. The larger halibut are sometimes shot in the head before they bring them into the boat, the .410 being the choice, so as not to blow the hook out of their mouths. The really big ones which could be a trophy ($$), cannot be perforated in any way, even gaffed. Jack.

I guess some of the guys he is working with go grouse hunting...told him the .410 would be his best bet.

And as far big ones...one of their captains pulled in a 200 pounder on a charter last week!

Got it, so I would have to ship it to an FLL since I am not shipping it to myself?

I don’t read it that way. This example is not a transfer. Your son already owns the gun.

Brian, I did a quick estimate and you're looking at about $77 for a 10 lb box Priority Mail. Add to that whatever your FFL changes you to ship it. you can actually take it to the Post Office for the FFL as long as it is sent with the FFL's address.

Between $41.50 and 110.35. If he does FFL-to-FFL, it'd be the cost of FedEx or UPS from NH to AK plus transfer fees on both ends. Easily $100+.

View attachment 503906

If it breaks down and fits in one of the 24x12x3 board game boxes, he can do it for 21.90 before insurance. Acknowledged it would be tight even with an 18" barrel. I don't think they offer them anymore, but there are a few out in the wild. I've been holding onto one here for a few years.

ETA--large flat rate board game box.
IMG_0325.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, that's great, and when the ATF comes to the door, you tell them you didn't mail it. :rolleyes:
Why would the ATF come to the door?

His son's guns are stored at their shared residence. His son is TDY in AK. In fact, his son IS mailing it to himself. It's appropriate to use his son's name as both the "delivery" and "return" addresses. His son could even go so far as to buy the postage label online, and email it to him. Then there's less than zero question.

You can mail your own guns wherever you want assuming it’s legal to possess. Ive mailed myself my own guns before…Sometimes it’s just more convenient then flying with them. Especially if it’s not a planned out thing we’re all the sudden you need your gun for whatever reason
Used to be easy. Now the carriers prohibit shipping to a non FFL. Handguns can be machine parts. Long guns I am not sure how you get around the prohibition.

Used to be easy. Now the carriers prohibit shipping to a non FFL. Handguns can be machine parts. Long guns I am not sure how you get around the prohibition.
probably a stupid question: why shouldn't it be equally easy to do the same with a long gun? Especially with a shotgun...
  1. remove the barrel from the action
  2. bubblewrap the components
  3. stick everything in a box
  4. say "machine parts" when they ask

Back
Top Bottom