Shipping a shotgun to the owner

Brin, tell your son to hop on his bike and go looking for flea markets and yard sales and read the want ads. It's a free state. No LTC req'd, res or non res. Residents can get the optional LTC to exempt them from the NICS check when buying from a dealer. Jack.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
Edit: Licesed means FFL
He is not a resident of another state if he is only visiting for the summer, and it is not a transfer as he already owns the shotgun. He is essentially shipping his own shotgun to himself. It would not be worth it though. I'd just buy one while I'm up there. Probably won't be much hunting he could do anyway as a non-resident without pre-planning it.

He is not a resident of another state if he is only visiting for the summer, and it is not a transfer as he already owns the shotgun. He is essentially shipping his own shotgun to himself. It would not be worth it though. I'd just buy one while I'm up there. Probably won't be much hunting he could do anyway as a non-resident without pre-planning it.
He is not shipping to himself. You are shipping to him. Regulations for shipping do not discuss or care about "ownership", they care about who is shipping and who is receiving. The only way to ship the gun to him is through an FFL. Unless we are discussing a REALLY nice gun, your shipping costs and FFL costs and... will approximate the value of the gun.

That’s basically what it boils down to. It’s not a transfer if you’re just shipping it to yourself. The whole issue with listing it as machine parts comes in case they actually gets lost fortunately I’ve never had that happen

USPS Publication 52 -
Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

He is not a resident of another state if he is only visiting for the summer, ...
OP doesn't say he's "visiting Alaska"; he's "living in Alaska".

In particular, he's got a lease, he's a resident.

Hint: if he was going to a summer semester of college in Alaska,
would ATF consider him to be a resident of Alaska?

USPS Publication 52 -

Fair point, he is visiting...living in a camper for three months with no mailing address...

USPS Publication 52 -

Op sez that he's living at a "campground". I know the Homer Spit well and maybe he's at the campground there. Google Earth the Homer, AK spit. First time I took the wife there she had no problem finding the most expensive hotel in Alaska which is at the end of the Spit. It was worth it. You get up in the morning, step out on the deck, and it feels like the mountains across the bay are towering over you. Also, the spit goes out three miles into the bay and you feel like you are in the middle of the ocean. You have coffee and watch 200+ small charter boats leave the harbor and head out to the Cook Inlet to fish for halibut. At the end of the day, a lot of kids make some $$ carrying the larger halibut up the ramps from the boats on stretchers to where the local photographers will hang up the fish and take pics of you and your catch. For a price. Homer is the "Halibut fishing capitol of the world", and the signs everywhere keep reminding you of that. Jack.

Last edited:
Fair point, he is visiting...living in a camper for three months with no mailing address...
You're never gonna get anywhere volunteering wrong answers like that.
Does he have a written lease?

Op sez that he's living at a "campground". I know the Homer Spit well and maybe he's at the campground there. Google Earth the Homer, AK spit.
I'd love to look for agates on the Spit some day.

You're never gonna get anywhere volunteering wrong answers like that.
Does he have a written lease?

I'd love to look for agates on the Spit some day.
I've never seen any but I wasn't really looking. Along the bluff further into the bay I did find a really nice looking piece of petrified redwood about 5 pounds. Son Mark tells me that they wash up here and there. Rumor has it that the Kenai Peninsula was all redwood umpteen thousand years ago. Anyway, you have miles along the bay to look. Good luck. Remember, though that the bluff gets pretty steep and ways out and up to the road are limited. And the tide does come in---------Jack.

I've heard plenty of war stories from people scrabbling about
on a beach at the foot of an unscalable cliff in Nova Scotia
that becomes the ocean twice a day...
Right. And the bluff gets so high and steep towards the end of the bay where the Russian village is that they need to use an unpaved switchback to get in and out. I've done the switchback in a wheeler at 2-3 mph and still almost pissed my pants. The Russian kids have no fear and you see the pickup trucks at the bottom that took a short cut by going down end over end across the switchback. Jack.

Between $41.50 and 110.35. If he does FFL-to-FFL, it'd be the cost of FedEx or UPS from NH to AK plus transfer fees on both ends. Easily $100+.

View attachment 503906

How does one transfer ownership between themselves? Person in AK is the current owner of the item. They are only requesting it be sent to them as they forgot it at home. Ownership remains same.

How does one transfer ownership between themselves? Person in AK is the current owner of the item. They are only requesting it be sent to them as they forgot it at home. Ownership remains same.

FFL-to-FFL shipment doesn't have to involve changing ownership. Let's say I move from RI to Hawaii and I need ten guns shipped. One option I would have would be to go to a RI FFL01 and say "I want these shipped to a FFL in Hawaii, here's their information, I'll pick them up in Hawaii."

FFLs meet their USPS, UPS, and FedEx delivery guys on a daily basis and are always getting guns in. Multiple FFLs I know give boxes and shipping materials away because they have so much. Its one way to ship guns. Does it add costs? Sure.

No one cares about ownership in this case. You are applying an irrelevant concept. We care about who drops the package in the mail and who receives it. That is what federal law cares about.

When I take a gun in as a ffl that does not mean I own it. When I perform a transfer it is owned by the final recipient when I take it in and when it goes out. I am not part of the ownership transfer, just the shipping and background check.

Sigh.

He definitely could have mailed it to himself in advance,
like all the elephant hunters do when they tour Alaska.

But just borrowing something sounds way simpler...
Mailed to where? A campground? Not talking about the OP's son, but the Spit is loaded with "Spit rats" during the summer. Mostly college kids. They live in tents and makeshift shelters. Wash up in rest rooms, cook over camp fires, shit where they can and "party" all night. The tide giveth and taketh away. Actually not a bad way to vacation. Jack.

Mailed to where? A campground? Not talking about the OP's son, but the Spit is loaded with "Spit rats" during the summer. Mostly college kids. They live in tents and makeshift shelters. Wash up in rest rooms, cook over camp fires, shit where they can and "party" all night. The tide giveth and taketh away. Actually not a bad way to vacation. Jack.

Apparently housing has become a major problem up there, lots of rentals have been turned into VRBO or AirBNB rentals so there are less apartments, room, etc to rent for longer term. The owner of the company he is working for put him up in a nice camper in a small campground off the spit.

He is getting all of his mail sent to the store he works for. Talked to him last night and he is going to see what he can find for sale locally or borrow.

Mailed to where? A campground?
Sending (paper, not shooty) mail to my parents at Lake Eaton State Campground,
I'd just address it to General Delivery, Long Lake, NY, 12187.

They'd go to the post office (which was then in the original general store),
and ask if they had any mail.

Not sure what would have happened if they received a parcel of Machine Parts
which was at least 26" long overall.

Not talking about the OP's son, but the Spit is loaded with "Spit rats" during the summer. Mostly college kids. They live in tents and makeshift shelters. Wash up in rest rooms, cook over camp fires, shit where they can and "party" all night. The tide giveth and taketh away. Actually not a bad way to vacation. Jack.
Sounds like how I heard Skydive Pepperell (used to) run.

He is getting all of his mail sent to the store he works for. Talked to him last night and he is going to see what he can find for sale locally or borrow.
If he befriends some local outdoorsman,
I betcha he can get a loaner gun
and a lifetime friendship.

Sending (paper, not shooty) mail to my parents at Lake Eaton State Campground,
I'd just address it to General Delivery, Long Lake, NY, 12187.

They'd go to the post office (which was then in the original general store),
and ask if they had any mail.

Not sure what would have happened if they received a parcel of Machine Parts
which was at least 26" long overall.

Sounds like how I heard Skydive Pepperell (used to) run.

If he befriends some local outdoorsman,
I betcha he can get a loaner gun
and a lifetime friendship.

USPS Publication 52 -

The ATF specifically mentions that you CAN be a resident of two states. Although, in this case, it sounds like his son is a non-resident who is visiting for a few months.

The ATF specifically mentions that you CAN be a resident of two states. Although, in this case, it sounds like his son is a non-resident who is visiting for a few months.
Concur; there seem to be some Alaskan-sized flies in the ointment.

But shipping costs are so high, alternatives seem to have their own charm.

Concur; there seem to be some Alaskan-sized flies in the ointment.

But shipping costs are so high, alternatives seem to have their own charm.
The last time Mark sent 50 pounds of frozen salmon filets to us from Homer the tab was $150. Lot of $$ but worth it. Lots of great dinners and son Lance makes smoked salmon from it to die for. Jack.

The last time Mark sent 50 pounds of frozen salmon filets to us from Homer the tab was $150. Lot of $$ but worth it. Lots of great dinners and son Lance makes smoked salmon from it to die for. Jack.
I currently have about 60 pounds of halibut in my chest freezer from our trip up there, we got it processed and frozen and carried it home.

Yup...or buying something cheap while he's there...

Oh well, we didn't think of it when he left...
Clearly you have never been, there is nothing cheap in Alaska. We used to take an occasional spruce grouse with a rock, they are some of the dumbest birds going

Back
Top Bottom