• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shipping a firearm

What are the proper procedures of shipping a firearm out of state and What method of shipping can be used. I did a search and found the rules and regs but not much on actual shipping.

Thanks Jayvs

You can ship a rifle through UPS,but you must claim it.You can also ship a rifle through USPS,but sometimes they don't know their own rules and regs...it is also up to the Postmasters discretion,which i was a victim of in Stow.

You can send a rifle out of state to a FFL only...Get a copy of the buyers signed FFL and double check it with FFL EZ check.

Handguns going out of state *I think* have to go FFL to FFL.To be safe,use a FFL for handguns.

I have used UPS and FedEX. I have just told them what it was and that I needed to ship it. Then I gave them the money.

federal law - the recipient has to have a valid FFL license...

best to get a copy of it before you ship, include a copy with the item, and also have a copy to show the shipping agent.

I have sent them to and from the factories for repair/work. When they shipped them back they came to my house. I wasn't home so I had to go pick it up.

I think the private package people UPS, Fed Ex, etc require handguns to be shipped using their overnight service... big money.

You can ship a gun to yourself from across a state line as long as you are there to ship it and receive it. Friends can't ship your guns to you.

If you are selling a gun across state lines let your FFL ship it to the other guys FFL, make sure you get the money for shipping from the buyer.

You can ship a gun back to the manufacturer or FFL gunsmith for work via UPS Fed Ex, etc overnight. They will probably ship it back the same way.

IANNAL YMMV

UPS will work unless you are shipping a fully automatic Machine gun. They have a policy against it. This however is strange because Ruger ships their AC-556 MGs back to customers via UPS so either they have a special variance or they just dont tell UPS its a MG and UPS just assumes its a regular rifle due to the majority of regular rifles and pistols they ship out. After speaking with UPS prior to sending my AC556 MG out and being told "no deal" I was curious as to how Ruger gets away with it so I called Ruger and they knew nothing about UPS's (no MG) policy so the later would be my guess. However UPS will ship a regular firearm with the proper procedure.

2 weeks ago I sent my AC-556K (Ruger Machine Gun) up to Ruger in NH (out of state) for a tune up via USPS and all I did was call the post master and tell him when I would be there with it and he wanted me to just include a little slip with the package stating the weapon was in a safe configuration and in no way would discharge. Basically it was a piece of cake.

So in conclusion, after that any time I need to ship out a firearm I will go with USPS (post office) due to the ease of use. At least in my town it was. :)

hope this helps,

Rob

Sending a rifle is easy if you go thru UPS or FedEx but it has to be going to the factory or a licensed gunsmith. You must go to a depot to ship as the smaller satellite stores won't accept firearms. Handguns must be sent overnite and it ain't cheap,figure at least $60. The local UPS depot know me by name as I have sent rifles/handguns back to the factory or a gunsmith for various repairs or modifications.

Terraformer It's getting shipped by me to a FFL in California. so as I understand A hand gun must be shipped overnight to a FFL. I will be receiving the ffl's information, Once verified I should be able to ship to the hand gun to the fll's address.

Jayvs

Terraformer It's getting shipped by me to a FFL in California. so as I understand A hand gun must be shipped overnight to a FFL. I will be receiving the ffl's information, Once verified I should be able to ship to the hand gun to the fll's address.

Jayvs

Yes. The reason I asked was if you were shipping it to yourself, or a friend for you to pick up when you got there, you can simplify the process by shipping it to yourself by name, hence bypassing the FFL hassle.

I gotcha. That info it's good to know if the need arises. Unfortunately it has to be shipped to a ffl.

now the next question. who is it better to ship through UPS of Fedex.

Thanks Jayvs

I gotcha. That info it's good to know if the need arises. Unfortunately it has to be shipped to a ffl.

now the next question. who is it better to ship through UPS of Fedex.

Thanks Jayvs

UPS cost me 65 dollars last month. That was to ship a gun and 8 mags to the manufacturer with their "overnight saver" service.

Yeah I was expecting about 60 dollers to ship. I will end up going to ups in watertown it one of there main hubs. Jayvs

May save yourself some trouble if when the clerk asks "Reason for shipping?" that you answer "Repairs". Just spent an hour driving from the Brockton UPS Customer Center to the Ashland one because the female clerk can not comprehend the UPS Firearms Guidlines. Claims that they only will ship from a non FFL holder to a FFL holder if you say Repairs. Ashland facility ships from non FFL holder's to FFL holders with no problem. Don't bother trying to point out their shipping regs to her, I had them and even after asking her girlfriend in back, no go.

Shipping a handgun is as legal from an individual as it is From a FFL to a FFL.

In fact is easier to ship a handgun from a individual to a California dealer than from a FFL to another California FFL.

The reason for this is when a dealer from outside of California ships any firearm into California he needs to jump through a new stupid law that California Legislature thought up to further restrict our 2nd Amendment rights.

However non licensed individuals are exempt from this program and can ship firearms directly to licensed dealers in California, When they do this it saves the buyer and seller money and time.

Its called the CFLC program.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php

You can ship a rifle through UPS,but you must claim it.You can also ship a rifle through USPS,but sometimes they don't know their own rules and regs...it is also up to the Postmasters discretion,which i was a victim of in Stow.

You can send a rifle out of state to a FFL only...Get a copy of the buyers signed FFL and double check it with FFL EZ check.

Handguns going out of state *I think* have to go FFL to FFL.To be safe,use a FFL for handguns.

Back
Top Bottom