sheriff and the B.B.T.

Well he stoped again, (the B.B.T.) YUP the Big Brown Truck!! at the sheriff,s
house. this guy is like Santa- outa-season, but its ok, the gift he brought
was a 8MM M98/48 Mauser from the south-pole of Florida-- Hint--Hint!!
For $129.95 i didn,t expect alot, but O.M.G. i havent cleaned it yet but
it looks fantastic it also looks like the stock is laminated?? either that or it has some exceptional grain in it, the bore is dirty but looks great, the whole thing needs a good cleaning i just took it out of the box and gave it the once-over
i have early morning commitments for the next few days so dont know when i will get to it but i cant wait to get together with Lynne so she can snap some shots!! especialy this Beauty! Well i have spent all my "Toy Money"
and thats ok, cause now i can play with all these beauties!

Take Care and i hope the B.B.T. comes to your house!!! S.D.

JonJ said:
+1
We got to get you a camera, SD!

Can always do like my lazy ass does. I take pics with a 35 mm camera (even a disposable will do work for this) and when I bring em to CVS to be developed, I check the box for a Picture Disc CD.
Last week when I picked up my film the guy doing the developing handed me my pictures and said I made his night because he used to shoot milsurps in Oklahoma before moving here.[laugh]
I don't take pics of my entire collection, its better all the people at CVS not knowing what I have, but a few rifles here and there on 12 exposure rolls don't hurt.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Last week when I picked up my film the guy doing the developing handed me my pictures and said I made his night because he used to shoot milsurps in Oklahoma before moving here.[laugh]
I don't take pics of my entire collection, its better all the people at CVS not knowing what I have, but a few rifles here and there on 12 exposure rolls don't hurt.

This is why even a cheap digital camera and printer is a much better investment!!

NOBODY has to know what you have, your address, etc.

All it takes is some flaming liberal developing your pics to call the PD and you'll have a SWAT team land on you with your regional snews TV station in tow for the 6PM snews, complete with your street address, press conference about the arsenal confiscated, etc. [For PC all they have to whisper to a judge is "anti-terrorism"!]

Nah, I'm not paranoid?? [wink]

But you won't find me posting pictures of my collection on the Internet either!

YMMV

You can always get your film developed at a Wal-Mart in NH.

It's a sad day, when folks are afraid to exercise their Rights mentioned in the Constitution.

And Len, if I lived in Mass, I'd probably be the same way.

Nickle, that isn't the only reason.

One of the favorite techniques used by house break-in thieves is to pick up on conversations in beauty parlors by women who brag that they are going away on vacation, etc.

Think about giving someone a heads-up on where they can steal a pile of guns and perhaps you might also express concern (anywhere in US).

If you want to see what I own, come to the range and look! [smile]

That is a concern. That's also why I'm glad I live in a small town. Sure, everybody knows I own a bunch of guns. Hell, they all know my father has his Ammo business as well (he grew up in the same town I live in). But, they also will deal with any thieves, and the thieves know this, so, they move on to easier pickings. Besides, entering a home in VT at the wrong time can cause Lead Poisoning.
small_grin.gif

Well you guys have alot of good ideas, and i do have a 35mm camera,
ok, the next sunny day i will shoot all the latest toys and have them put on a disk! then i will have to find out what the heack to do next, but i will do it then worry about the next part, OH by the way the guy with the TURK
and the two cases of 8MM ammo For a Buck and a Half ? well he made my DAY Today!!! and that turk does,nt look to bad i think ill clean it up and shoot it< instead of making a lamp out of it!! HaHaHa "Yea RIght" Lamp.
the bore looks super for somthing that old, finish is about 70 percent
stock isn,t beat to bad, and he left a slip-on rubber butt pad on it
another "bonus" OH any Tip,s on an easy way to disasemble a mauser
bolt??? an 03-A3 is easy cause you can hold the cock-knob back with the
fingers while turning! but no knob on the Mauser,So any-tips??
thanks again! Take Care Sheriff Dudley S.A.S.S. 17925

Yo, Al...ANOTHER ONE???? Good heavens! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] You're on a first name basis with the BBT guy, right? [laugh] I'll still take the pics for you if you want, no problem. Give me a call and we'll try to get together.

sheriff dudley said:
the bore looks super for somthing that old, finish is about 70 percent
stock isn,t beat to bad, and he left a slip-on rubber butt pad on it
another "bonus" OH any Tip,s on an easy way to disasemble a mauser
bolt??? an 03-A3 is easy cause you can hold the cock-knob back with the
fingers while turning! but no knob on the Mauser,So any-tips??
thanks again! Take Care Sheriff Dudley S.A.S.S. 17925

Don't think you'll be needing the rubber butt pad. Long barreled Mauser types don't have much of a kick like the K98s, M48s and other short models do.
A lot of people recomend light loads for these rifles since the actions on some aren't suited for hot rounds like the Turk 8mm ammo. Theres a way to tell if your action is ok for any type of ammo by the markings on the barrel and receiver. If I find the link for that info i'll post it here and maybe someone can make it a sticky for safety sake, or maybe someone here remembers how to tell.
As usual, I got my take down info from Jamie at Surplus Rifle. Just click on the sections on the right for bolt and rifle take down. http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserturkish/index.asp
One thing he doesn't mention that is a definite must do for disasembly.... make sure you take the cleaning rod out before compressing the front band spring! Thats the only way it will come off because the spring needs to compress into where the rod goes. I had to get a replacement firing pin spring for mine and found one at Numrich. They have a lot of parts listed in case you wind up needing something.
As for the stocks on mine... I sprayed em with straight Purple Power cleaner from Wal Mart ($4 a gallon!) and got all the oil and grease off pretty easy using a heavy duty scrubbing sponge after soaking the stock with PP. Next day I started applying the tung oil, and 4 days and 6 coats later they look great!

Use the safety, if all you want to do is remove the striker assy. Put the safety in the middle position, while the bolt is CLOSED, then open the action and unscrew the striker assy. You'll find a button to push in when starting to unscrew it.

Lynne, I may become just as familiar with the FedEx folks, since I'll be buying another gun from CMP before long.

First congrats you just purchased a real German 98k for a Yugo price. That fla. place has been a good spot for good buys too. This one was my very first surplus gun over 25++ years ago. And yes the stocks were laminated on some of these too. Mine is too and its a purdy one too. Do you have the cupped butt plate of flat steel one? I noticed some of these came both ways too. Mine has the cupped butt plate. Try the action out mine has one of the best and smoothest 98 actions I have ever felt too. I don't think there is another 98 8mm that comes close to the value of this one meaning its an affordable german mauser. Enjoy....

I'm happy to see your keeping the Christmas spirit going all year too. I have been browsing too but nothing caught my eye yet. I did see an awesome enfield no1 mkIII that i may go back for. The wood was really clean/dry and on these thats rare to see one not all greasy and oily. I have to go back with a borelite. I tell the misses someone has to keep the ecomony going strong I'm helping out so another 1929 won't happen.

On all my military 98 bolts and others I like to disassemble them and clean them squeeky clean. Then i moly up the firing pin spring just a little and the reset cam on the bolt body so turning the bolt in the receiver becomes a much smoother operation. I put a little moly on the bolt lugs too. It eliminates all wear reduces friction and prevents galling too.

BTW; Here is some food for though tabout the Turk 8mm ammo. It maybe hotter but the lighter bullet moves faster out of the barrel so the heavier slow moving bullet has more breech pressure than the turk ammo. It makes sense to me after thinking about it.

Caution too; On semi-auto's The faster 8mm ammo upsets the cycle timming. The bolt carriers move too early and can open up the chamber while the high breech pressure is still present a split second while the bullet is just leaving the barrel. If the gas valve is too far open for the ammo your using. The gas valve if it has one has be set on the low side.

You can read about this at; www.turkmauser.com/default.htm
Look this site over good he posts some of his testing results with different surplus 8mm ammo.

Last edited:
sheriff and the BBT

Hi Bill, yes we have to keep the economy going i agree!! that M98/48 i got
has the flat steel butt plate! and the bore is fantastic, i was surprized at
that,and happy!! it never fails, i am broke as far as toy money and a guy
just called tonight and offerd to sell me a Mint .762 Enfield Ishey and a
.303 British Mk1#3 also mint? for short money? i am going to have to steel
from peter to pay paul and probably forget about peter!! it took two days
to clean that98 and i hope to shoot it this weekend, i have commitments
in boston every day this week so Saterday i get to blast!!
Take Care S.D.

Back
Top Bottom