• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheered off my Dan Wesson scope base screws today

is all the shear force on the screws?
is there a way the mount could be installed to take the force and not the screws?
Good question. I think one issue is that the screws aren’t long enough. This is all that is grabbing in the threaded holes in the shroud! They aren’t even close to reaching the end of the threads!
834C2922-6867-490B-BA28-F476EBCC6DF7.jpeg 9CCC6460-526E-42C7-9BF0-C14CAF5E341A.jpeg

Good question. I think one issue is that the screws aren’t long enough. This is all that is grabbing in the threaded holes in the shroud! They aren’t even close to reaching the end of the threads!
View attachment 356183View attachment 356184
If it pulled the threads out I would agree but they sheared off above the threads so that's not the issue. You could go longer of course regardless.

If you don't have a left hand bit that's a great method but they are cheap and any shop that does repairs should have a set.
My only concern with the LH bits was the loctite, if it's too tough or gummed up on the threads it won't work very well. I use the LH bits at work quite a bit but I know for a fact things aren't loctite.
Doesn't look like I had any loctite that I can see. Threads in the holes and on the screws look relatively clean.

And check out the remaining screw! It’s on its last leg before breaking!
B01F6320-81BD-4606-A0C8-D0F803DBC47B.jpeg 8B2BDA95-BE70-46B6-BF0A-51D22C0F16D3.jpeg 48E55AB0-3637-4392-B078-7589B7301913.jpeg

If it pulled the threads out I would agree but they sheared off above the threads so that's not the issue. You could go longer of course regardless.
Ahh okay.
Ray suggested grade 8 screws? What’s the best quality screw I could get? Any idea what the size/type of these screws? I don’t even know what to search for without knowing that info lol.

Is that a Warne scope mount? Looks like a Warne to me. I found a spec sheet for the DW 445 supermag, this kit uses a T15 (torx) screw. .128in or 3.27mm.

Here's the link

You could always do one of those rib vent mounts instead made by leopold, those are rock-solid, and rare af.

Those screws were loose - the clamping force should keep the mount from moving.
Look up the proper torque for the screw size (lubricated) and use removable thread locker.

Grade 8 is the highest you’ll find at a Home Depot but not the highest. Hard screws are not always the answer anyway since if they are from a crappy supplier that plates them, they become brittle if not baked out afterwards. A good supplier won’t have this problem.

They look like a 8 or 10-32 screw. Measure them with calipers to be sure. Grade 8 has the highest shear resistance.
But those screws shouldn't have been in shear - they should have been torqued tight enough for clamping force to stop movement.

The scope mounts wasn't clamped well enough allowing it to work the screws in shear. The screws don't like that and surrendered. Install tubular dowels (around the screw holes) to take the shear perhaps.

Those screws were loose - the clamping force should keep the mount from moving.
Look up the proper torque for the screw size (lubricated) and use removable thread locker.
Since I think there was little to no loctite I really think they became loose and the recoil killed them. If they were kept snug, I don’t think they would sheer like that?

Agreed, they had to have been loose. I think the lack of thread locker is to blame.
Once these screws are out, I’m dumping as much blue loctite in as I can lol. As much as I want to use red loctite that seems to risky if I ever want to remove the scope base lol.

Is that a Warne scope mount? Looks like a Warne to me. I found a spec sheet for the DW 445 supermag, this kit uses a T15 (torx) screw. .128in or 3.27mm.

Here's the link

You could always do one of those rib vent mounts instead made by leopold, those are rock-solid, and rare af.
No it’s a factory Dan Wesson mount.
I’ve tried the clamp on mounts on my DW 357 and they sucked. Kept breaking loose and marred the shit out of the shroud. No way they would handle 44 mag.

Another trick is to get someone who is REAL GOOD with a TIG welder (AND ONLY TIG !!!) to build up the screws until you have something to grab onto

You said you didn't use any Locktite on those screws.
That will make it easier and is a good thing in there removal.
They should spin freely or with a little ease to remove them.
The threads on the revolver should be fine as the screw heads just snapped off.
You didn't strip out or cross thread them.
So it's just a matter of turning what's left out.
Buy better quality screws and use a little blue Locktite.
Don't over do it. You don't need a lot of Locktite to hold them.
Just clean the screw holes and use a little alcohol to degrease the threads before you apply the Locktite to the new screws.

I've snapped bolt heads off and just spun the threaded part left over out with ease.

I still wouldn't risk it on such a nice revolver and would just wait and have it done right.

Last edited:
6 or 8 -32, but someone already mentioned that.

Look for a stainless alternative to anything thats available at lowes or h.d. I've snapped their "grade 8" stuff with little effort.
They look like a 8 or 10-32 screw. Measure them with calipers to be sure. Grade 8 has the highest shear resistance.
It appears they’re 6-48 screws. DW used Weigand scope mounts initially and in the product description it says you need to drill and tap 3 6-48 holes.

I found the exact screws. Flat Head Type D Screw 5/16 in. 6-48.
Amazon product ASIN B07J9HL4MMView: https://www.amazon.com/Numrich-Flat-Head-Screw-Thread/dp/B07J9HL4MM

Now just need to find them in a higher grade. Could also use a torx head as someone else suggested.

Definitely a pandemic of shitty screws being sent out with mounts and scopes these days. Shouldn’t be too hard to get that sorted.

There is a place called Boltdepot in Hingham that we use at work a lot. You could give them a try.

Hopefully I can find some longer and better quality screws lol.
i bought this kit years ago to replace the straight slotted and phillips screws on alot of my stuff.

You said you didn't use any Locktite on those screws.
That will make it easier and is a good thing in there removal.
They should spin freely or with a little ease to remove them.
The threads on the revolver should be fine as the screw heads just snapped off.
You didn't strip out or cross thread them.
So it's just a matter of turning what left out.
Buy better quality screws and use a little green or blue Locktite.
Don't over do it. You don't need a lot of Locktite to hold them.
Just clean the screw holes and use a little alcohol to degrease the threads before you apply the Locktite to the new screws.

I've snapped bolt heads off and just spun the threaded part left over out with ease.

I still wouldn't risk it on such a nice revolver and would just wait and have it done right.
Dont use green.

Loctite 222 is a good choice for small screws.
sometimes you need to use the primer on inactive metals.

Back
Top Bottom