Shear pins locally Troy Bilt

mitch28

NES Member
Got a new to me Troy Bilt 2620 Storm, looking to get extra shear pins for it locally.
Lowe's has them but mailorder only. I'm in Burlington, MA. TIA !!

Your local ACE hardware store should have them in the nut and bolt aisle. In a pinch you can use a 1/4-20 bolt.

I'd try Lowes. They sell Troy Bilt and should have parts.

Troy Bilt is made by MTD, so you can also look for those.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Should have been more pro-active. Are the ACE ones OEM or..?
And yes, that small lawnmower/engine place is still there, Pinehurst I think. I'll check with them too. Thanks!

You can also try Sears, as MTD makes a lot of the Craftsman snow blowers.

Thanks for all the replies! Should have been more pro-active. Are the ACE ones OEM or..?
And yes, that small lawnmower/engine place is still there, Pinehurst I think. I'll check with them too. Thanks!

Craftsman = Troy Bilt = MTD, at least as shear pins go.

The MTD ones from Home Depot were cheap and in stock, whereas Sears had none.

Doesn't really matter if the pins are OEM as long as the diameter is the same and the break away notches are cut in the same place relative to each other and the head of the bolt.

Be careful about generalizations as to what brands are the "same", as it can vary my model year. My Troy Bilt is 20 years old and uses different pins that the current models (but, fortunately, uses the same pins as some recent year Airens).

Here's the info you need, from Troybilt's website.

P/N 714-04040 - Bowtie Cotter Pin - $1.00
P/N 738-04124A - Shear Pin 1/4"x1-1/2" - $1.09

Yes these are MTD parts as that is who makes Troybilt machines. Everyone sells MTD, oftentimes under numerous brand names. So if you look for these P/Ns or a listing that it is a substitute, you are GTG.

It never hurts to bring along a sample shear pin if there is any doubt.

Doesn't really matter if the pins are OEM as long as the diameter is the same and the break away notches are cut in the same place relative to each other and the head of the bolt.

Be careful about generalizations as to what brands are the "same", as it can vary my model year. My Troy Bilt is 20 years old and uses different pins that the current models (but, fortunately, uses the same pins as some recent year Airens).

When I bought my Troybilt 2690XP last year, I bought 2 packages of them before I left the store.

The point is that damn near everyplace sells them. I'd bet even WalMart has them if the store sells real snowblowers.

If you can't find em, pm me tonight/tomorrow. I work nights in Burlington and I'll bring you a few tomorrow. Won't do you any good tonight but I'm already at work. IDGAF if they fit or not, I have extra and my blower shit the bed so I bought a jeep. Haven't shoveled more than a walkway this year, don't plan to either:)

Today's update is no where. Apparently a lot of people ran over stuff yesterday.

My neighbor ran over one of those blue tarps and did a number on his Troybilt 26". I brought it over to my garage to take a look and spent about two hours getting it squared away. Not only did he shear off two pins, but before they gave up the ghost the auger shaft torqued around enough to bend the hood out of shape. I had to take all of that apart to get the tarp out, then reattach the augur to the hood. Then I had to whack the hood with a hammer to get it back into something resembling shape.

He was working while I did this, so I went off to Home Depot, Lowes, then Sears, looking for the shear pins. No one had any. Had them Thursday, sold them all yesterday and early today.

Fortunately, my neighbor called me and said he had two, so I was able to get him up and running. If not, I'd have had to loan him mine, and given his history with them, I wasn't eager to do that.

I told him to order more spares, because he's likely going to need them.

Today's update is no where. Apparently a lot of people ran over stuff yesterday.

My neighbor ran over one of those blue tarps and did a number on his Troybilt 26". I brought it over to my garage to take a look and spent about two hours getting it squared away. Not only did he shear off two pins, but before they gave up the ghost the auger shaft torqued around enough to bend the hood out of shape. I had to take all of that apart to get the tarp out, then reattach the augur to the hood. Then I had to whack the hood with a hammer to get it back into something resembling shape.

He was working while I did this, so I went off to Home Depot, Lowes, then Sears, looking for the shear pins. No one had any. Had them Thursday, sold them all yesterday and early today.

Fortunately, my neighbor called me and said he had two, so I was able to get him up and running. If not, I'd have had to loan him mine, and given his history with them, I wasn't eager to do that.

I told him to order more spares, because he's likely going to need them.

Plenty of shear pins at the H.D. in Wareham today.

i replaced my sheer pins in a pinch with 1/4x20's a couple years ago, haven't gone back because new sheer pins are worth more than my snow blower.

Back
Top Bottom