• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone now where I can find old police night stick locally?

We made these in wood shop in the 70's when learning how to use a lathe. I drilled out the top an inch or two and poured molten lead from the metal shop, the shop teacher told us to say these were for hitting fish when we caught them. Every guy took wood and metal shop in the 70's as the girls took cooking and sewing. I was no shop kid, I was on the math team, but every guy took shop and every girl took home economics.

Now no one knows what end of a screw driver to use or how to bleeping cook, progress I guess.

....sorry old man yelling at clouds...
Still got a couple I made in shop class.

Back in the late 70s my grandfather and myself churned out a lot of those on the lathe. Quick project and some had been drilled down 2 inches or so into the end to allow melted lead to be poured into them for added weight.
Those were the best! Then the PR-24 came along. Not sure if anyone still uses them anymore. Still have mine in a closet from '90-91

Thanks for all the replies. They used to be all in a pile in a bucket for cheap at the army navy stores and old gunshops but I guess not so much now.

I guess I will just see if the antique stores will have them. Looking for the old wood not synthetic tonfa style.

Now no one knows what end of a screw driver to use or how to bleeping cook, progress I guess.

....sorry old man yelling at clouds...

I agree with this though I would make it mandatory for all students to take both a simple shop class and a basic home economics course. When I was in middle school I took part of the year in a home economics class. I can't remember if it was required or I had chosen it for activity block that quarter. Anyway, I learned to sew, and use a sewing machine. My daughters think it's weird that I darn my socks rather than buy new ones on amazon or whatever.

I agree with this though I would make it mandatory for all students to take both a simple shop class and a basic home economics course. When I was in middle school I took part of the year in a home economics class. I can't remember if it was required or I had chosen it for activity block that quarter. Anyway, I learned to sew, and use a sewing machine. My daughters think it's weird that I darn my socks rather than buy new ones on amazon or whatever.
I took home economics, sewing and carpentry in junior high.
But if a kid can’t figure out what screwdriver to grab that’s on the parents

Got pulled over by Mass State Police in my city when I was about 20 years old. Had a bat laying in back. Trooper asks what the bat was for. I told him me and my friend play in a pickup softball league. The other Trooper asks my friend who's sitting right next to me what position he plays. He says he doesn't play, he hates baseball. Work with me Dave!! Anyway, they run everything, comes back clean and before they send us on our way he asks " Honestly, is the bat for baseball or for cracking heads?" I was like, "Well, we are in Worcester" He laughed and off we went.
I always keep a glove and ball in the truck as a compliment to the bat

I have a carbon fiber softball bat that's FAST, the fastest stick I own. Moves like a rapier. I keep it in the car with some tennis balls and skateboard helmet.

Have a look at trucker tire thumpers. The japanese also have a weapon called the tanbo.

A 2' stick is a fierce weapon in close quarters. A knuckle rap is probably the best way to get a perp to drop a knife without getting too close (besides the tazer). Mix in some cop judo and you have a fighting style that worked very well for a long time.

Damn. All I got from my grandfather was his blackjack. LOL. It always seemed like a one-hit wonder (pun intended) to me. Maybe you could backhand a guy on the jaw or something. But overhand to the head was pretty much 99% of what you could use it for. No twirling either. :(

Another thing - In the really old days, a cop on the beat would summon help from other officers by hitting the sidewalk repeaatedly with his nightstick. The distinctive sound could be clearly heard a block away.
You can see this in some of the old silent movie comedies.
Another detail - cops didn't wear gunbelts but carried their revolvers in leather-lined coat pockets.

Another thing - In the really old days, a cop on the beat would summon help from other officers by hitting the sidewalk repeaatedly with his nightstick. The distinctive sound could be clearly heard a block away.
You can see this in some of the old silent movie comedies.
That's funny in Boston they would do it on a guy's noggin.

Back
Top Bottom