• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone now where I can find old police night stick locally?

Another thing - In the really old days, a cop on the beat would summon help from other officers by hitting the sidewalk repeaatedly with his nightstick. The distinctive sound could be clearly heard a block away.
You can see this in some of the old silent movie comedies.
Another detail - cops didn't wear gunbelts but carried their revolvers in leather-lined coat pockets.
The part about the nightstick on the curb is true, my father told me about it as a kid.

In the 1940's lots of cops did wear gun belts, with a nightstick ring, a cuff holster, a gun holster, and a claw holster.
My father had his made by a saddle maker in Waltham, circa 1941. He usually walked the Main St. and Moody St. beat, shaking doors and as a fire watch. They'd call in to the dispatch on the police telephone boxes that were mounted on various poles throughout the city.

If they had a car available, they were open touring cars and they used to drive over to the Waltham Watch factory and fill up 2 dairy milk cans with boiling hot water from the building's boiler. They'd put that between their legs in the car as a source of heat throughout the winter nights.

Back
Top Bottom