"... shall not be infringed.", say what?

I'm going to pass on the discussion of the conditions under which an indigenous force of irregulars could overcome a more advanced force, leaving it to those with far more actual combat experience than I. OTOH, I'm one of those "rabid" individuals who was extremely disappointed to hear Gura articulate a novel theory as to why machine guns should not be included under the protection on the Second Amendment. I didn't send him any nasty E-mails because I try to be a polite person and because I accept that others may have better knowledge of a particular area than I. I'm willing to believe that this may have been a tactical argument, constructed in an attempt to defuse the fear of those justices who might be terrified that their affirmation of an individual right and subjecting any law or regulation that might infringe upon it appropriate scrutiny.

One problem that I have with many of me fellows who have served for long periods in the military is that they tend to accept the way the military operates as a norm that should be applied to the entire population. As as result, many of them espouse all sorts of restrictions on personal possession and use of firearms that would cause even the Joyce Foundation and their lackeys in the VPC and other fronts to drool with envy. Those rules might be necessary and proper in the military, but that doesn't translate to civilian life. I've been a civilian for many, many years now, with an Honorable Discharge tucked away somewhere. I take long showers, sleep late whenever I can, and do all sorts of other things that I never would have dreamed of while in the Corps. Tough shit! I'm entitled. Same goes for my guns. I answer to my personal beliefs and my family's safety, not the Commandant or Commander-in-Chief. As a civilian, they answer to me. No disrespect intended, but simply remembering the words of my oath of enlistment.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom