Senate votes to remove FID requirement for pepper spray

they still manage to keep their hands in it one way or another

Criminal convictions for a variety of crimes, including misdemeanors with a penalty of more than two years, drug and weapon offenses, would preclude people from possessing pepper spray for a period of time based on their sentences. People who have been confined to a mental institution would also be restricted, as would people who have been treated for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness.
I for one have no problem with people who have been treated for drug addiction carrying pepper spray

and also this one:
The Wrentham Republican's amendment outlaws the unlicensed sale of pepper spray, creating a punishment of six months to two years.

unlicensed sale of pepper spray? so you still have to go to an FFL to buy it? just seems odd

I for one have no problem with people who have been treated for drug addiction carrying pepper spray

and also this one:

unlicensed sale of pepper spray? so you still have to go to an FFL to buy it? just seems odd

Giving someone convicted of a misdemeanor would cause mass chaos wouldn't it? How stupid.

I'm confused (yes, I know... not the first time)

The house and senate have both approved separate bills with pepper spray licensing as amendments, but the house and senate have not approved the same bill including pepper spray licensing? [rolleyes]

ETA

So the Senate and house have both passed it, but in different bills? Does that accomplish anything? Or do they now need to amend the house budget bill?

beat me to it...

Same question . Does this , like : mean anything ? Or is it one of those halfway there and die in committee kind of bills like a balanced budget or something else that will never happen.

and also this one:

The legislation defines self-defense spray as "chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate," and it requires retailers to be licensed under the state's ammunition sale law.

For f**ks sake.... does this mean that our fearless Attorney General will (continue to) send cease and desist letters to out of state retailers which will ship pepper spray to MA?

Remember, it is the tendency of every government agent/agency to jealously increase and hang on to any scrap of power they can.
The Wrentham Republican's amendment outlaws the unlicensed sale of pepper spray, creating a punishment of six months to two years.

they now need to issue a refund to everyone who has a restricted FID for chemical agents only. the majority of those will probably be teenagers and women. come on, democrats, don't prolong this war on women and give them a refund.

It's a step in the right direction. Crazy that the law still says that if you want to buy it you need to go to an FFL. So much for people in Boston, Brookline and every other town that you need a car to drive to an FFL in the suburbs since your town doesn't have an FFL.

It's all well and good, until some punk gang bangers get pepper spray, and use it to ASSIST in mugging defenseless women. Hope they've got the laws ready to go for "assault and battery with a spice."

My daughter is transferring from Ithaca College to BU, so this is timely. She will live off-campus year-round so will have MA resident status to get an FID card. Age 20, so no LTC yet, even if she lives in a green suburb, but she and BF will have arms at home.

Yay... sortof. A step in the right direction... but seriously can only be sold by FFLs? Really? And there isn't one in Boston? Damn clowns...

it doesn't specify FFL's, just licensed seller, which likely means hello new form of licensing for the state, the more licensed sellers the more $$$$

at least thats what I assume politicians were after with that

Process:

- Bills (almost always different) get passed in the House and Senate.
- A joint committee is appointed to work out any differences and re-present it as a final, agreed to bill for a vote.
- If that passes, it goes to Mini-Me to veto or sign.
- Only after that would it become law and usually becomes effective 90 days after signing (IIRC), unless they put an emergency preamble on it (which would make it effective as soon as it was signed).

Hmmm...... instead of a food truck, maybe a truck to sell pepper spray for the Boston community [smile]

Process:

- Bills (almost always different) get passed in the House and Senate.
- A joint committee is appointed to work out any differences and re-present it as a final, agreed to bill for a vote.
- If that passes, it goes to Mini-Me to veto or sign.
- Only after that would it become law and usually becomes effective 90 days after signing (IIRC), unless they put an emergency preamble on it (which would make it effective as soon as it was signed).

there will be no joint commitee as these are amendments to totally different bills

so what are they going to run background checks on pepper spray?

article said it would restrict it to people with mental health issues, criminal record, or drug/alcohol abuse.

Back
Top Bottom