• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling an AR in this climate.

IMG_20190916_221352.jpg
Rule 12:
This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of guns owned that would result in separation from your partner.
That is part of my equation.

Because my house is very old, I cannot add an extremely heavy safe, so had to settle for medium security cabinetry, however, I have filled my wife mandated limit, so need to make room for a new acquisition, and this is a good way to make funds happen to clear the project.

Truth be told, I haven't looked at the thing in so long, I forgot it was Rainer Arms for the rail, barrel, and brake, and Bushmaster for the stock, and some cheapo red dot the guy had on it when I bought it. It works well enough, but this is also the point where I can only shoot so many, can only house so many, and can only care for so many, helping another person be better prepared, when it does not impact my preparedness, or that of my family, seems like a good plan.

This ^...
I am already divvying up my collection amongst my relatives, while I still can do 4 E-FA-10s a year. Followed by four more in very early January...
With each transfer comes a warning. "Learn how to shoot and maintain this rifle."
Followed by "Start buying ammo... much ammo."

They already know about the Failure of Politics in America...
What a crazy coincidence--I was actually going to PM you to tell you that I found out we're distantly related...

When can I stop by to pick out what pieces from your collection I'd like?

Tough call. I've got a AWB-era Bushy that I just will never shoot again. It's got a 20" target bbl on it. I can't really do anything "fun" with it. Fixed stock. Boring.

Yet I keep it. I still keep it. If the MA-AWB ended tomorrow, I'd take a hacksaw to the stock and probably sell it anyhow. But as it stands, I'm reluctant to do so even though it's taking up safe space. Thankfully, I can afford it taking up space.

I had THREE AK's. A SAR-1 with scope mounts, a Norinco under folder and a Poly side-folder. I'm left with the Poly side-folder. There are days that I wish I held onto all 3 because rulez. I'll have to check the safe to see if I still have EITHER of my SKS's. I had a Russian and a. . . . . . . . .something. Old. Got it C&R maybe 20 years ago. Whatever was the "hot" SKS back then. Probably paid $120. No idea if I even have it anymore. I hope so b/c I've got about a billion AK stripper clips. ROFL!!!

My friend sold one of his AR-15s just so he could reliably close the safe door. Yeah, he needs a bigger safe.

Tough call. I've got a AWB-era Bushy that I just will never shoot again. It's got a 20" target bbl on it. I can't really do anything "fun" with it. Fixed stock. Boring.

Yet I keep it. I still keep it. If the MA-AWB ended tomorrow, I'd take a hacksaw to the stock and probably sell it anyhow. But as it stands, I'm reluctant to do so even though it's taking up safe space. Thankfully, I can afford it taking up space.

I had THREE AK's. A SAR-1 with scope mounts, a Norinco under folder and a Poly side-folder. I'm left with the Poly side-folder. There are days that I wish I held onto all 3 because rulez. I'll have to check the safe to see if I still have EITHER of my SKS's. I had a Russian and a. . . . . . . . .something. Old. Got it C&R maybe 20 years ago. Whatever was the "hot" SKS back then. Probably paid $120. No idea if I even have it anymore. I hope so b/c I've got about a billion AK stripper clips. ROFL!!!

Wait...so even if you own a post-94 after the sunset provision, you can’t add all the fun stuff? Like replace the solid triangular stock with a collapsible stock as long as it was pre-Maura?

Wait...so even if you own a post-94 after the sunset provision, you can’t add all the fun stuff? Like replace the solid triangular stock with a collapsible stock as long as it was pre-Maura?
Nope, because Massachusetts enacted an "Assault Weapons Ban" which mirrored the Federal one, without the sunset clause, while the Federal Ban was in effect.

Nope, because Massachusetts enacted an "Assault Weapons Ban" which mirrored the Federal one, without the sunset clause, while the Federal Ban was in effect.

Thanks. I thought there was a gap between the two, and didn’t realize the MA bill was a direct continuation of the Fed AWB.

The AR market is like the stock market.

.Gov makes a comment and the value rises and falls.

Oh crap Obama/Hillary +
Phew Trump -

Hold for the long term.

Thanks. I thought there was a gap between the two, and didn’t realize the MA bill was a direct continuation of the Fed AWB.
No gap.

Fed Ban from 1994 to 2004. In 1998, MGL incorporated a reference to the Fed Ban by including the citation. In 2004 they replaced the citation with the actual wording from the Fed Ban with no sunset clause. So MA has been stuck with the AWB/mag ban since 1994 and I never see it ending in MA.

No gap.

Fed Ban from 1994 to 2004. In 1998, MGL incorporated a reference to the Fed Ban by including the citation. In 2004 they replaced the citation with the actual wording from the Fed Ban with no sunset clause. So MA has been stuck with the AWB/mag ban since 1994 and I never see it ending in MA.

Gotcha - that was very helpful. Thank you.

By inference then, if the Healy ban was struck down by a Federal court (not necessarily SCOTUS), then it would still require a legislative act to overturn the MA AWB, barring a ruling from a superior court that went so far as eliminating the Healy edict, and through to the state law. Would that be correct?

Last edited:
My friend sold one of his AR-15s just so he could reliably close the safe door. Yeah, he needs a bigger safe.
I'm in that position. If I were to assemble all 4 (pre-Healey) lowers, I wouldn't be able to fit them in the safe. And I have no room to install another safe. I do expect to sell off a few of my C&R rifles to make some space.

MA has been stuck with the AWB/mag ban since 1994 and I never see it ending in MA.

Well SCotUS could issue a ruling that AWBs aren't constitutional. Then after 5 years we could get another SCotUS case to tell the SJC that, "Yes we the SCotUS believe the Constitution does apply in the Commonwealth regardless of what you paste eating pretenders insist". Then after another 5-10 years maybe we get yet another SCotUS case telling the SCJ, "Yes we meant the other two rulings already".....and so on.

No gap.

There are two resolutions to the problem of the mAss AWB:

Collapse of the Republic.
Reversal by the USSC.

The first might actually happen before the second. :(

There is a Pre 1994 lower for sale in the classifieds for $850, money makes all problems go away. And before anyone starts with a "not assembled by Sept 1994" crap, suck a pickle, you worry too much

Back
Top Bottom