• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking advice on LTC-A renewal

I currently have a restricted LTC-A and it's time to apply for renewal. The clerk who handles this said to write a letter consisting of no more
than 3-4 sentences stating why I want my license renewed. Does anyone have general advice on wording (especially what NOT to say)?

For example, I've been the victim of property crimes twice in the last year (car break-ins and robbery in my driveway at night) but no one
has yet attempted to break into my house. Is this a legitimate thing to mention in the letter?

What wording should I use to request a change to an unrestricted license?

I doubt the car break-in angle would help you.

Being an attorney, physician, business owner, NRA instructor, victim of violent crime, having been credibly threatened, can help in some towns.

If you have none of those cards, you're left with requesting unrestricted in order to protect your life. It's a great reason, but it may not get you what you want.

Do they typically issue unrestricted for renewals in your town?

I doubt the car break-in angle would help you.

Being an attorney, physician, business owner, NRA instructor, victim of violent crime, having been credibly threatened, can help in some towns.

If you have none of those cards, you're left with requesting unrestricted in order to protect your life. It's a great reason, but it may not get you what you want.

Do they typically issue unrestricted for renewals in your town?

Thanks. That's what I was thinking about the property crime issue. And I live in a red town so I think the ALP licenses are rare.

If you live in a Red town, then I suggest that you hire an attorney like Scrivener or Jesse Cohen. They can help you craft your letter, prepare for your interview, and understand what you should and should not do if offered a restricted LTC. No, hiring an attorney is no guarantee of success, but it might improve the odds.

Thanks. My current LTC does allow me to carry for "protection of life." I mainly want to avoid saying anything in my letter that would cause my chief to downgrade my license. Has anyone ever heard of getting a more restricted license upon renewal if the reasons for issue of the less restricted license haven't changed?

Thanks. My current LTC does allow me to carry for "protection of life." I mainly want to avoid saying anything in my letter that would cause my chief to downgrade my license. Has anyone ever heard of getting a more restricted license upon renewal if the reasons for issue of the less restricted license haven't changed?
It sounds like you have an older version of the license that lists "reason for issuance". The new ones no longer have this field but instead have a field titled "restrictions". You want it to say NONE in that field.

Good luck.

It sounds like you have an older version of the license that lists "reason for issuance". The new ones no longer have this field but instead have a field titled "restrictions". You want it to say NONE in that field.

Good luck.

Although, if they wont give "none", then "personal protection" is the next best thing, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom