• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Second Amendment repealed in New Orleans?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
This really made me blink as I read it... thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! The full article is available at the link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/n...b7fc8e12c&ei=5094&partner=homepage&oref=login

New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms as Water Recedes

By ALEX BERENSON and TIMOTHY WILLIAMS
Published: September 8, 2005

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 8 - Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to hundreds of security guards hired by businesses and some wealthy individuals to protect property. The guards, employees of private security companies like Blackwater, openly carry M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said that he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.

Nearly two weeks after the floods began, New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled by thousands of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers. While armed looters roamed unchecked last week, the city is now calm. No arrests were made on Wednesday night or this morning, and the police received only 10 calls for service, a police spokesman said.

Considering that most of the local politicians are clearly Urban Democrats, just what did you expect?

I'm just glad that some you folks in Mass are smarter than all that (to give up your right to self protection that is).

They may give a few back, but I'd bet not until they record any info on it. Damned POS's ought to be given summary executions for blatent violation of the consitution.

No cold dead hands here. I give them the ammo first. That will take a while!

I read that a little earlier this afternoon.
I think it's setting a very dangerous precedent.

CD

Gun Confiscations in New Orleans

GOA has received reports that the confiscation of legally-owned firearms has commenced in New Orleans.  In addition to denouncing this in the press, GOA will also be looking to draft legislation at both the state and federal level to preclude authorities from imposing ANY firearms restrictions during emergency response activities.

Very dangerous indeed, if they try it up this way. Some of us see it as the first step to a totalarian regime change.

Nickle said:
Ross, if you are going to create a cache, you now know the general area to put it.

Yes, in my garage so I can get it in my car in a screaming hurry. I know where to head once it's loaded. [lol]

Ross

I was referring to the bigger stuff, plus multiple containers of ammo. But in reality, the important thing to get up this way is YOU. I'm sure we can find something to your liking to use.

Remember, most of my long arms were home for the weekend.

This is pretty freaky. And I don't see any good coming from this.

I hope that they know that they are talking about Bayou boys and girls that they are going to try to take these away from.

There are going to be A LOT of shoot outs I'm afraid. The people in the backwaters don't like people telling them they can't have the very things that keeps them safe from wild gators and tresspassers.

C-pher said:
There are going to be A LOT of shoot outs I'm afraid. The people in the backwaters don't like people telling them they can't have the very things that keeps them safe from wild gators and tresspassers.
This doesn't affect the the people in the backwaters does it? You know that they'd never get away with it there.

As much as it would kill me (and truely it would devestate me), I'd leave my dog and cat before I surrendered all my arms.

Nickel - Ross wouldn't be the only one joining you.

The swamps aren't that far from the city.

I don't know. Are they only talking about people in Orleans Parish proper? Or do they mean all surrounding areas as well?

Just like here. I live in North, but when people ask me, I just say Boston. I really should say Providence, being that I'm closer to that. But you get what I mean.

It happens everywhere. Ask my mom where she lives, she'll say Memphis. Really, it's Germantown. A suburb of Memphis.

I'm just saying that I was thinking that they were meaning everywhere they they were going to evacuate.

C-pher said:
Just like here. I live in North, but when people ask me, I just say Boston. I really should say Providence, being that I'm closer to that. But you get what I mean.

It happens everywhere.

Funny... I usually say "Marlboro", and then when people look blankly at me I'll specify 35 mi west of Boston, or halfway between Boston & Worcester. Maybe it's a south vs north kind of thing.

Ross

Sorry to bring this back on topic, but I wrote the following for another forum and might as well post it here too . . . [evil]

--------------------------

I have seen actual video footage and interviews/audio from two very disturbing events down there involving LE and armed citizens in their homes. Coming from MA, I am not familiar with the badges/patches from other parts of the country so I have no idea what PD these officers were from. I can say that the video/audio that I saw is VERY DISTURBING to me both as LE and a citizen who believes in the 2nd Amendment.

Incident #1 (shown on Fox News as LE/news media broke into a home):
- House was in the dry part of town, never had any water in it, streets were NOT flooded here and thus don't have the muck or other conditions that would necessitate evacuation.
- House was a small mansion compared to other homes we've seen down there. Owners were in the house and well prepared, little visible damage to home and they may have said that they still had running water (don't precisely recall).
- Homeowners had a stockpile of food, water and guns to ward off looters. As the LEOs entered (with Fox News cameras), NO weapons were shown pointing at any of the responding LEOs.
- Homeowners were shown and described as being handcuffed and forced to sit on the curb while LE took all their guns from the home.
- They tried to talk the people into leaving, they refused, claiming (rightfully so) that they wanted to defend (with nothing now) what they owned and were not in any danger from flood, pestilence, etc.
- They were interviewed and expressed dismay that LE would leave them defenseless in their own homes.
- They were then released to stay and fend for themselves, but now defenseless!

Incident #2 (shown on Fox News and some other (ABC/NBC/CBS) media:
- Frail elderly lady obviously in her 70s cornered by LE after they broke into her home. She was cornered in the kitchen beside her stove and had a revolver in her lap.
- Video showed 3 officers pouncing on her, disarming her, confiscating the gun and dragging her out of the house.
- This lady reminded me of my late Mother-in-law in the last years of her life. No way that she was any match to fight with anyone and only the gun might save her if looters had invaded her home.
- She was definitely man-handled in an inappropriate manner based on her physical condition and lack of threat to anyone else.

This was a case where "you had to see it to believe it" and the video/audio tells a tale that is not complimentary to LE, at least those that actually participated in these events. Hopefully this only happened a few times, but that was still a few times too many.

Making life more interesting:

- The Gov stated (broadcast on Fox News) unequivocally that there is NO STATE OF MARTIAL LAW and that ONLY she can declare it as such!
- The Gov also stated that there were NO mandatory evacuations and again only she could call for that.
- The Police Chief claims that there is Martial Law and nobody but LE (and private security) can keep any guns!
- The Mayor and Police Chief either stated or implied that there was Martial Law (they declared it) and mandatory evacuations!

To those of us "on the outside", watching these interviews of officials, it is massively confusing and shows that NOBODY is in charge, they aren't all on the same page. God knows what the "boots on the ground" have been told to do or not do. I have no idea who has the legal authority to declare what down there. It is apparent that the US Constitution has been thrown out the window for good down there. Personally I have absolutely NO confidence that any confiscated guns will ever be returned to their rightful owners once everything settles down - nothing I saw indicated that they were inventorying anything or giving receipts and the mass confusion tells me that even if they did do that, nothing would be recorded at the PD for later accountability. At the top it looks like a lot of egotistical "leadership" that are into "power plays" to "show their stuff". It certainly doesn't play well, even on mass media.

Bottom line is that there are at least some LEOs that should be ashamed of themselves for disarming genteel people who are only armed in their homes to protect what little they have. That nobody should be dragged out of their homes unless they really, truly are in a life-threatening situation (property high and dry with food and water doesn't fit this description).

All of us have to realize a few things:

- If your home is looted, the police take your property, etc. your homeowners insurance company will NOT PAY! There is an exclusion in every policy for such actions.

- So if you survived the storm (e.g. wealthy family noted above), then are forced out by LE, looters come in and destroy everything, you are SOL and uninsured!

- The folks being told that they had to leave their pets to die if evacuated also led to understandable belligerence from residents. I haven't had a pet dog since I was a small child but I fully understand that they are "family" and not to be left behind to die!

NO has shown us a very ugly side of life, that is likely to be repeated in almost any true state of emergency . . . leaving people defenseless (no matter how well armed/prepared we started out) and in a lot worse circumstances than if we were left to our own resources!

The more I see and hear of whats going on down there and eventually elsewhere, reminds me of Germany in the 1930's...and you all know what that was about! :x

I've seen some very disturbing precedences being set during this disaster by government "protection". This had better come to light and be addressed.

Here's the video of the elderly lady being disarmed and man-handled by CHPs (CA Highway Patrol) in NO. [This is the incident I described above.]

"NEW ORLEANS: Ken Wayne Reports On Dramatic Forced Evacuations"

http://www.ktvu.com/video/4946889/detail.html

If that isn't over the top, I don't know what is. Just love the reporter with his justification that although she's elderly and no threat, "a gun is a gun"! Notice how she holds the gun and knife. Not safety-minded, but nowhere near a threatening pose.

It does figure that CA LEOs would do something like this . . . they certainly aren't used to the idea that common citizens have any right to protect themselves!

I'm going to quit now before my blood boils over.

LenS said:
Here's the video of the elderly lady being disarmed and man-handled by CHPs (CA Highway Patrol) in NO. [This is the incident I described above.]

\

I'm speechless [shock]

LenS said:
Here's the video of the elderly lady being disarmed and man-handled by CHPs (CA Highway Patrol) in NO.

I believe the phrase "jack-booted thugs" is appropriate here. "we're trying to help you ma'am" as that fat guy, who must have weighed at least 230 lbs is on top of a 90 lb elderly woman.

If there aren't a lot of lawsuits filed, and a lot of LEO's busted for this, and the NOLA police chief fired, ya'll should start burying your guns now... it's the end of the Republic.

Ross

A friend emailed me today with a comment on how people are realizing (albeit a bit slow) what it means to be unarmed in a hostile city (i.e. NO after the looters began their search and seizure with firearms). I'm including what he wrote here - did anyone see the article he's talking about?

---------email-----------

I think people are starting to get the picture. One of the beatitudes proclaims that the meek shall inherit the earth--probably the most realistic, graphic and inevitable event to befall kindly members of mankind. I suspect that the numbers of people killed in the name of some religion or other are closely rivaled by the mass of humanity that waited for someone to protect them from something or other.
In last Sunday's Boston Herald, one of their staff writers, Margery Eagan ( a once virulent anti-gun advocate) describes how she was struck by the blinding light of reality after reading the accounts of New Orleans predators and their victims. There was a photo of her breaking in her newly acquired .357 mag on the target range.
Well that's great, but one at a time may be too slow a progress.

C-pher said:
I do have to say, that's a good way to ruin a good Friday Morning.

That video really pissed me off. There was no need for that...She wasn't threating the LEOs, she just wanted to stay in thier homes.

Trying to run that post count up, C-ph? :)

Back
Top Bottom