• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seasonal Concealed Carry Choices

My G19 has become my three season gun, owb, with a spare mag on my weak side. For really hot summer weather I'll be going aiwb with a shield and spare mag up front as well.

Of course there are exceptions as well.

Regarding round count, who here carries an extra mag? Where do you carry it?

I have to say, I kind of miss my tiny old flip phone. It left room in that pocket for all sorts of other stuff[laugh]

I carry a spare mag in a canvas knife sheath that fits my mag nicely, keeps pocket debris out of the mag and fits inconspicuously in my front, left pants pocket. I carry a P938 3:30 IWB with a 7 round mag and one spare 7 round mag.

I'm more concerned with access than concealment so I pocket-carry in the winter and IWB the rest of the year. Summer is my favorite because a t-shirt offers both concealment and easy access.

I did buy a BG last year for summer carry. I am on the small side for a guy, so printing does kind of concern me. Though from all the stuff I see on the net, no one really pays any attention to you unless you are acting really odd.

I did buy a BG last year for summer carry. I am on the small side for a guy, so printing does kind of concern me. Though from all the stuff I see on the net, no one really pays any attention to you unless you are acting really odd.

Best way to prove that no one notices, carry around your family, no one will notice.

OP - I would get whatever matches your purse. Your wife is right at laughing at you. [wink]

Best way to prove that no one notices, carry around your family, no one will notice.

OP - I would get whatever matches your purse. Your wife is right at laughing at you. [wink]
So true. I've been carrying around the house for 3 months now and my 2 teenage boys haven't noticed yet. Lots of times I'm even carrying at 3:00 because sitting at my desk all day it's the most comfortable, but it gives me a big hip on one side. I think I need to work on their situational awareness [rofl]

So true. I've been carrying around the house for 3 months now and my 2 teenage boys haven't noticed yet. Lots of times I'm even carrying at 3:00 because sitting at my desk all day it's the most comfortable, but it gives me a big hip on one side. I think I need to work on their situational awareness [rofl]
1911 iwb with shirt over (only undershirt tucked behind) and it has taken my wife half an hour to notice.

Then again one time I was at Market Basket in Haverhill and there was a 70 year old dude OCing a 1911 and she only was aware of it because I mumbled "hmm good for him" under my breath and demanded to know what I was talking about.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My wife literally laughed out loud at the idea that I had a "winter carry" EDC handgun versus my other "three season" handgun.

Just curious if anybody else changes their EDC piece due to changing seasons. I'm basically toggling between a P239 and a P229 (M11-A1). I'm more able to conceal the larger-double stack M11-A1/P229 in the winter because of more outer garments and can carry OWB. When it gets warmer out, I switch back to my P239 with an IWB rig. It's not a hard and fast rule as I do carry the M11-A1 in the summer and sometimes I carry the P239 in the cold weather months.

Just curious.

Makes Perfect Sense....

Colder months = Kimber 45ACP SS Pro-Carry Commander Length.

Warmer Months = Kahr P45 SS 4"

Very Warm Months = shorts and light shirt = Sig P238 Equinox

I'm more of the opposite. If I'm wearing a winter jacket I can pocket carry. I don't pocket carry in pants pockets so that doesn't happen in warmer weather. I've stopped carrying IWB and carry OWB. So if what I'm wearing doesn't conceal well or looks stupid I just OC. If I'm going to OC I might as well carry a full sized gun then. Ergo, I tend to carry larger guns in summer and smaller guns in winter.

Same boat here. I run a fall/winter, spring and summer carry.

The big boys come out in the colder weather and the easily concealable comes out in the heat.

Need to dress to carry. Makes complete sense that when you are wearing less clothes (summer months) that you need something more concealable. In winter (when more clothes and coats are required), your dress can support a larger carry rig.

Man! Everybody likes Sigs here, dont they. To me they're to busy. Too much stuff sticking out and around them and they look and feel like a small freight train to me. I like a clean smooth Glock meself. Glock 19 and Ruger LC9 are the top two carry guns in the nation. I have been carrying a glock 21 year round. Just wear a long button down shirt.

Man! Everybody likes Sigs here, dont they. To me they're to busy. Too much stuff sticking out and around them. I like a clean smooth Glock meself. Glock 19 and Ruger LC9 are the top two carry guns in the nation. I have been carrying a glock 21 year round. Just wear a long button down shirt.
I love my LC9s with it's "melted" curves, but I'm old school and think the PPK is the sexiest handgun around.

What do you guys do in winter when you go inside someplace and take off the winter jacket? I'm not comfortable yet carrying a bigger gun cause I rarely keep the winter coat on for the entire trip.

What do you guys do in winter when you go inside someplace and take off the winter jacket? I'm not comfortable yet carrying a bigger gun cause I rarely keep the winter coat on for the entire trip.

I never go inside and sit anywhere besides the house. When driving I keep my gun close by but not on me.
Thinking about getting a little pocket rocket launcher for summer but dang, anything under a 9 with 3" barrel and you may as well be throwing rocks.

I find myself getting simpler as I get older. I used to change from a snub .38 to a 1911 - but now find myself running an LC9s all year long, either OWB or pocket carry. I like the Ruger so much I'm thinking about dumping the 1911 for an SR45 to have a little more commonality between the two for the times I carry a larger gun.

Same here. I used to change guns seasonally too until I got my LC9s Pro. Now, I see no point when I have a gun that is a respectable caliber (at least inmo), but is comfortable in ANY season, or apparel. Every other pistol is just for range use these days, so I mainly get full sized versions for that reason. The only exception is that I carry my BG when I dress up, or otherwise need deep concealment.

Why do so many people get fixated on concealing? So your gun might show once in a while. So what? I just carry comfortably. If it's completely concealed, great. If it's not, great. I've been carrying concealed and not so concealed for about 30 years, on and off the job. So far no one's seemed to give a shiite when my weapon happened to be visible.

Good post wickedcoolname I feel the same way it's more comfortable if they see it not a big deal to me if it's a big deal for them that's their problem I live in Pennsylvania Pennsylvania is an open carry state in these times people better get used to it because it's going to be a lot more common.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Good post wickedcoolname I feel the same way it's more comfortable if they see it not a big deal to me if it's a big deal for them that's their problem I live in Pennsylvania Pennsylvania is an open carry state in these times people better get used to it because it's going to be a lot more common.

Isn't every state an open carry state?

If you Google opencarry Nationwide Firearms you will find that there is some states that prohibit the carry open carry
Some states require a permit some states require other sorts of documentation Florida Illinois, Texas just recently a year ago approved opencarry California has very strict walls district.of.columbia apparently has restrictions but if I'm wrong please correct me

Last edited:
G26 AIWB year round. Indoors I'll usually will wear t shirts year round so my ability to conceal a larger firearm doesn't change season to season.

Back
Top Bottom