Seasonal Concealed Carry Choices

My wife literally laughed out loud at the idea that I had a "winter carry" EDC handgun versus my other "three season" handgun.

Just curious if anybody else changes their EDC piece due to changing seasons. I'm basically toggling between a P239 and a P229 (M11-A1). I'm more able to conceal the larger-double stack M11-A1/P229 in the winter because of more outer garments and can carry OWB. When it gets warmer out, I switch back to my P239 with an IWB rig. It's not a hard and fast rule as I do carry the M11-A1 in the summer and sometimes I carry the P239 in the cold weather months.

Just curious.

Same boat here. I run a fall/winter, spring and summer carry.

The big boys come out in the colder weather and the easily concealable comes out in the heat.

for some guns the holster defines whether or not I change from a "summer" gun to a "winter" gun OWB vs IWB

Same boat here. I run a fall/winter, spring and summer carry.

The big boys come out in the colder weather and the easily concealable comes out in the heat.

Yup, this right here. I am able to conceal my VP9 when I'm wearing shorts, but I always feel like it's obviously printing. So that's where pocket carry comes in.

what I am wearing really dictates what comes out of the safe. Winter time , my XDM 3.8C .45 comes out a lot more as does my M&P 9C
Summer time====Shield time :)

I find myself getting simpler as I get older. I used to change from a snub .38 to a 1911 - but now find myself running an LC9s all year long, either OWB or pocket carry. I like the Ruger so much I'm thinking about dumping the 1911 for an SR45 to have a little more commonality between the two for the times I carry a larger gun.

Nope. I prefer consistency, CW380 AIWB year round with the occasional pocket carry when needed.

You only have a winter vs other 3 seasons? [rofl]

I find myself switching based on what type of clothing I am wearing that day. Looser sweaters/sweatshirts and it is easy for a full size gun either IWB or OWB. Tighter fitting or just a tshirt and smaller gun pocket, IWB or even AIWB makes it easy to disappear. I am not ashamed to say gun/holster selection has become my equivalent to my wife and shoes/purse having to go together. Not sure who is worse! [grin]

I am not ashamed to say gun/holster selection has become my equivalent to my wife and shoes/purse having to go together. Not sure who is worse! [grin]
I just started carrying (LC9s) and was warned that holsters for guys are like shoes for gals and I'll wind up with a closet full[rofl]. I tried the LC9s in my jeans pocket and thought it's a bit big for pocket carry, but because of this thread I just tried it again without the mag's pinky extension. That actually makes a big difference(gun doesn't want to turn sideways as much. So, I'm off to Amazon to get a pocket holster[rolleyes][laugh]. It's my first little single-stack and a bit of a challenge to my marksmanship. Now I get to practice without the pinky extension too.[smile]

I carry the 238 year round. That may change as I am looking at wanting more round count. I really would like to carry my 9mm 1911 but I think it is just to big.

Regarding round count, who here carries an extra mag? Where do you carry it?

I have to say, I kind of miss my tiny old flip phone. It left room in that pocket for all sorts of other stuff[laugh]

G43 in tee shirt weather, easy to conceal and it comfortable. G19 when I can wear a sweatshirt to help conceal. I'll carry a mag in a mag holster sometimes as well.

I used to pocket carry a G33 in the winter, then switch to a 442 in the summer. This winter I just stayed with the 442. Being the tinfoil guy I am, I carried a G23 the entire month of December, especially in malls, etc.

I have to say, I kind of miss my tiny old flip phone. It left room in that pocket for all sorts of other stuff[laugh]
I do usually if I have a spare pocket. it is easier in the colder months as I keep it in my coat pocket

Shield 9 with an additional 8 rd mag everyday, all year for me. Kinetic IWB holster. I'm extremely comfortable with it.

2 Kytex mag carriers OWB on weak side. If you can carry a gun you can (and should) carry spare mags in my opinion.

I find myself getting simpler as I get older. I used to change from a snub .38 to a 1911 - but now find myself running an LC9s all year long, either OWB or pocket carry. I like the Ruger so much I'm thinking about dumping the 1911 for an SR45 to have a little more commonality between the two for the times I carry a larger gun.

^That

It's a matter of convenience and comfort and what you feel comfortable with for your self defense. The way I see it - regardless of concealment, those who change them based on the season because of concealment believe that in the summer they are OK with a compact/sub-compact, 7-8 rounds for self defense and in the winter the 7-8 rounds won't be enough for them so they go with the 15-17 rounds full size. Just in the name of concealment.
Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. If sub-compact and its few rounds is not enough for you in the winter, it sure isn't enough for you in the summer and you will do whatever it takes to conceal your full size year round.

When I lived up there I pretty much just changed how I carried more often than what I carried. I never GAF about printing and frequently OCd. So it was pretty much the 92FS all year. Down here it isn't an OC state so printing is a little more of an issue. Though you would have to try pretty hard to find anyone who would complain, harder still to find a LEO who would GAF. If it actually gets cold enough to warrant the winter coat (3/4 length P-coat). Then It's the 92FS in a shoulder rig and a snub in my puckett. Getting to my hip or back w/ that coat on is a process. Otherwise I carry my PT111 and/or the .38 snub. Lately I have been thinking of picking up a G26 for easier cargo pocket carry, w/ some G19 mags in the other pocket, for when I wear shorts.

Yeah I used to carry a different everyday carry for different seasons to a certain extent never really got into it too much I live in Pennsylvania we are open carry state I mostly carry outside the waistband if I have a shirt that covers it fine if I don't that's fine too if people don't like it that's fine I have a sky Industries cpx-1 outside the waistband in
a Serpa I have a sd9 Smith & Wesson carry outside the waistband in a Serpa holster I have an XD 45 service model the only holster I have for that so far is a Uncle Mike's tactical inside the waistband but looking to get a Serpa holster gotta love that Serpa holster just gotta use it the way it's supposed to be used and it'll be safe I have inside the waistband holsters but I don't know outside the waistband is more comfortable public just needs to be educated more on caring outside the waistband nothing more than just a cell phone case if someone inquires about your mag pouch if I print that's fine nobody really seems to get excited in my part of the Pennsylvania we have other people that opencarry ,a lot more comfortable lot more convenient but you must have some kind of a retention holster because there are some idiots out there they don't actually know that if they do grab your gun it is a felony if nothing more protects them, in the Northwest part of Pennsylvania isn't a really big issue if you see people opencarry.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I carry a 1911. Its usually carry an Officer sized all year. Once in awhile I will wear my full size w/ light in a owb holster under a jacket in the winter/fall/spring.

I am big on at least keeping the manual of arms the same.

The whole "if you think it's not enough, it's not enough" thing is a specious argument. At the day it's better to have a little 22 derringer than nothing at all. Sometimes it's better to have pepper spray or a durable metal pen, if that's all you're legally able to have. When circumstance allows you to carry to your preference, that's great - if you're stuck with something smaller because you're not in a free state and can't hide a howitzer in your person on a 95* day, you train on it (hard) and be thankful you have it if you need it.

I'd love to have everything, but I'd rather be stuck with something than stuck with nothing.

This is what I use for single stacks.

http://www.snagmag.com/

It's actually pretty nice to have when summer carrying in cargo shorts. Cargo shorts offer a million places to fit a mag.

Back
Top Bottom