Search for New Pocket Carry

tuna

NES Member
My S&W BG380 just suffered a broken firing pin. Once it comes back from repair - it's destiny is to finance another carry gun.

I'm looking for something to carry in my front right pocket - with holster of course, in cargo pants or relaxed fit jeans.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to Ruger LC's - either the LCR, LCP or LC9. I'm wondering if anyone carries one of these in the pocket as I described and how that works for them. Actually - I'm only interested in the LCR and LC9 - I think the LCP is pocketable without any question.

As to my reasoning for the Rugers - the other options I've looked at and discarded are:

Sig238 - not comfortable with a gun with a safety that is needed (yes, my BG380 has a safety, but I can ignore it, I can't ignore the safety on a 1911 style)
Khars - above my price point
Seecamp - slightly more common than bigfoot sightings, but not by much
Kel Tec P3AT - I lump that in with the LCP as the same gun
S&W Shield - Really getting sick of S&W lately - the firing pin was the last straw. From now on the only S&W's I'm keeping are old enough to buy their own booze - which is why I'm looking at LCRs over J-Frames

I carry an LC9 on occasion in my front pocket, but it only fits into my cargo shorts front upper pocket. Actually it does fit in the lower pocket but it's a little too heavy and flattens the shorts.

I don't even holster it, although I probably should. However, I keep it on safe when it's in pocket mode.

I contemplated the LCP, but I really don't like the .380 as a defensive round. YMMV.

I think the LCP would be your best option. Although I don't pocket carry anything ever, (in pants pockets at least. I will drop the LCP in an inside jacket pocket during winter just as a BUG) I do carry the LCP in an IWB holster made by High Noon if I'll be hiking moderate to long distances in this summer heat. This is only on the Cape mind you, where the only predators I should worry about are the two-legged kind.

It's a great little gun that eats anything I feed it without a hiccup.

My pocket carry's

Seecamp .32 (83% of the time)
NAA Gaurdian (sold for the seecamp)
Sig 238 (10% of the time)
S&W 337 (5% of the time)
NAA Mini (2% of the time, deep cover)

I'm not a fan of the current trend of cheap plastic compacts

Though almost bought a Khar

Seecamp for me is perfect. Too much junk in my pockets today, so its in a ankle holster as I type.

I have a Keltec P3AT with a crimson trace laser attachment on the front and its a good point and shoot gun. Laser really helps. The trigger is horrendous (heavy and very long pull), and I imagine that outside of Mass. a Ruger LCP trigger would be much better. The Mass. compliant LCP trigger may be no better.

Fully loaded, the thing weighs nothing. My Iphone in my pocket seems to be heavier.

All else being equal, I still carry my PPS in an IWB over the Keltec. But for a quick run out somewhere, the Keltec goes into a Desantis Super Fly holster and into the pocket quite nicely.

I bought the Keltec as an impulse buy. Shop had a new one for $239 which became mine.

Last edited:
What about a derringer?

That's what I'm carrying now. I've got a .22 Davis Derringer that I got a set of .22 Mag barrels from Cobra and carry that when I want to pocket carry in the summer. I like pocket carry, but want a little more than 2 shots.

Once fall arrives, it won't be such an issue as I'll be able to go back to OWB carry with a shirt covering it. Right now, I like something to have with me when I don't want to carry anything big.

I'm of the "a .25 in the hand is better than a .45 in the safe" mindset, and find while I can reason myself out of belting on my 4" Model 15-3 or my 1911 - I'm more likely to carry if I have something I don't notice carrying.

I (right front) pocket carry an LCP with CT laser in an RCS pocket holster during the week (need discreet for work). I don't even know its there, and is fine for any type of pants / pocket. I don't think I would go much bigger / heavier than that for pocket carry. Weekends is a Kahr PM 45 AIWB.

I (right front) pocket carry an LCP with CT laser in an RCS pocket holster during the week (need discreet for work). I don't even know its there, and is fine for any type of pants / pocket. I don't think I would go much bigger / heavier than that for pocket carry. Weekends is a Kahr PM 45 AIWB.

Do you sew that into your pocket?

I know you mentioned a reason you were not looking at J-Frames - the 642 is one of the best dam pocket carry revolvers you can buy IMO. Reconsider that as an option.

i gotta agree with skydiveguy, a friend of mine has one that i have shot many many times and walked away pleased. I even found the sights useful [laugh] in all honesty its very accurate and he carries it with some of that Buffalo Bore schtuff. had no failures of any kind to date, and that thing is slick too! he picked the one up with the equinox package...me likey!

Dom

I wouldnt hesitate on the S&W airweights, they are a proven design over many years.

Yes, In my experience the BG380 stands for "Box of Garbage you paid $380 for " Mine was sold for a Kahr PM9 which fits nicely in every pair of pants or shorts I own

I know you mentioned that the Kahr PM9 was a little above your price range but it is worth saving the extra money for it.

It easily fit in a pocket, is accurate and reliable and 9mm is a better round IMNSHO.

Can't you sell blood or a kidney to come up with the extra cash? You really only need one kidney ya know.

If you were anti s&w but would considered the sheild you could think walther pps though arguably still kind of a s&w product. Its my everyday carry however to me it is a bit heavy/big for the front pocket but is just find in the cargo pants pocket! If you really don't want a j frame, save for a little while and get the pm9 that would defintly be my choice for a pocket carry all day long!

Being a 1911 guy I prefer my Colt Mustang or my Sig P238 for pocket carry. I also had a Keltec PF9, not a bad gun but I just could'nt get used to the trigger and the slide stop sucks to release. Just sold that one today along with a LCP380 I never shot. My next one will be the Sig P938, a clone to the P238, but in 9mm. Just waiting to find the version I like on some gunshop shelf.

I carry a Kakr P380 in a Nemesis holster in my back pocket. It completely disappears. I know they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Phenomenal firearm. Very little recoil, very accurate. I got mine with night sights for $500 used (Off NES, no less). Beats the heck out of the Keltec, I liked mine but sold it because the Kahr is just so much better. I have a Colt Mustang on order, just for giggles, but have not heard boo from the dealer since January.

Been pocket carrying the LCP for almost two years now in the back pocket (more comfortable than the wallet in the other side pocket) and am currently breaking in a high noon iwb single clip holster that came today so I can carry at work.

Super comfortable, if I go any bigger I carry an sr40c which is still very comfortable, but does suffer from being twice the weight as the LCP

Love my LCP, for once , a gun that i actually forget about. i can slip it in my wait and forget it because of its size and weight

I know you mentioned that the Kahr PM9 was a little above your price range but it is worth saving the extra money for it.

It easily fit in a pocket, is accurate and reliable and 9mm is a better round IMNSHO.

Can't you sell blood or a kidney to come up with the extra cash? You really only need one kidney ya know.

+1 for the PM9. Great gun for pocket carry even during the summer months.

Another thing to consider is a G26. Some say it is too big to pocket carry and I can see why, but it works for me. Fits well in the front pocket in a desantis super fly pocket holster in both cargo shorts and loose fit jeans.

Last edited:
I have similar issues with my Bodyguard .380, it's already been to S&W twice and I'm abou to take it out this weekend to try it again. It hasn't been taken to the range ONCE without issues. I expect it'l have issues again. If it doesn't, I would never trust it for a pocket pistol/EDC which is what I bought it for.

I've heard great things about the LCP and really want to shoot one. Though they aren't MA compliant and I havn't found a dealer that'l get me it (Despite all the flame on NES about searching harder). People keep telling me to look for a Glock 26 and while it's a bit big for a pocket pistol, it's incredibly easy to carry IWB and good to go with deep pockets.

I carry my LC9 in a Blackhawk (02 or 03) holster in my right front pocket. Very comfortable. When wearing cargo pants I carry an extra mag.

I've also pocket carried my BG38 in the same holster. I just prefer the LC9.

Thanks for all the inputs. Of course, I don't know why I ask questions like this. As it stands, I'm planning to go with the LC9...naturally, when I get to the gun shop, I'll likely get distracted and wind up walking out with something entirely different - like the time I had my heart set on an AK and left the shop with a Marlin 336 (CAR now means Cowboy Assault Rifle).

I'd ruled out the Glocks mainly because they've always seemed too thick for pocket carry.

My non-hot weather carry is either a S&W Model 15, Model 60 snub, Makarov or 1911 Compact Comp. I usually carry OWB, but occasionally use IWB for the Mak. I just find pocket carry so much easier when weather dictates lighter clothes.

Back
Top Bottom