SCOTUS hears Chicago Case Megathread

They didn't define reasonable in Heller and they won't here. Ball-less wonders all of them.

You're right, they didn't, and you're also right where as I doubt they will here.

They're going to leave that up to the states to decided "reasonable", and I'm sure many of those laws will be challenged as well.

I believe the idea is to allow the states at first, and then the judicial system to define reasonable over time.

Amazing that Breyer is still harping on "the militia clause"... [sad2]

A clear sign of mental illness - obviously not suitable...

Here's one you'll love

JUSTICE SCALIA: That doesn't trouble you.
MR. GURA: No it does not and it shouldn't trouble the Court because the Court addresses due process cases all the time without saying

Who is this in response to? Lacking context.

this...
Doubtful. CA has no handgun ownership bans, unless the one in SF went through somehow. Anyone with a clean record can own a gun by default. If the court rules narrowly (which it probably will) there's no sword to wield in CA, unless another city tries to come up with a gun ban.

-Mike

Interesting. Feldman never seemed to get a good point across. He really didn't have much to work with.

I have a lot of admiration for Mr. Gura. He didn't take the easy way through this and subjected himself to much more scrutiny from the court than had he argued due process.

Interesting. Feldman never seemed to get a good point across. He really didn't have much to work with.

I have a lot of admiration for Mr. Gura. He didn't take the easy way through this and subjected himself to much more scrutiny from the court than had he argued due process.

But he didn't do the one thing he should have. When asked why the court should use PoI when it was easier to use DP, he just stammered he would be happy either way. If he had said, "Because it is the right thing to do to right the wrongs of the past" he would have gotten more respect from me. Had he said that most every activity as technology has developed has slid from right to privilege (walking v. driving, etc) as we have moved away in time from 1788 and that reinstating PoI would allow the courts to prevent the slide from continuing. He made no such pleas. To be respectful to the court for sure... [rolleyes]

What to bet Gura has clients who have been denied carry rights in the wings waiting to take the 'bear arms" part to SCOTUS?

The cases have already been filed:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Palmer_v._District_of_Columbia

Sykes has been continued pending resolution of Nordyke, which is pending resolution of McDonald. I'm not sure the exact status of Palmer; the calguns wiki isn't up to date.

Funny, that's exactly the advice Gura got from the Harvard Law faculty during the moot there.

And he didn't take it... But I also see why he hedged. Scalia's ivory tower bit probably scared him. He shouldn't have allowed himself to be bullied. Plus, maybe that statement was what the court needed to justify a harder look.

In order, the AG "list", EEOPS list, B-Ramming, "Target & Hunting" with the AGs bull shit the most likely due to the lack of due process. You left off suitability which would be above all of those. The T&H restrictions are least likely to be effected.

Straw Poll:

Who thinks that a positive ruling on this case would help strike down our EEOPS list, the AG "list", B-Ramming, "Target & Hunting" restrictions?

The one important thing for MA that will come out of this is the overturning of Comm v Davies i.e. "An individual has no federal or state constitutiaonal or sttuotry right to possess or carry a firearm". This case is the underlying bedrock of MA firearms law. The state could avoid having this tested by just giving in to anyone that was not statutory disqualified.

Heller seems to imply that the "lists" might not pass muster. The Pena case in CA is asking this exact question. If it is successful, we may have a great precedent to access here.

Straw Poll:

Who thinks that a positive ruling on this case would help strike down our EEOPS list, the AG "list", B-Ramming, "Target & Hunting" restrictions?

None of the above. The only thing it will do in the long run is either make LTC-B's "shall issue" or bring back the provision that allows you to purchase a handgun on an FID card and keep it at home.

-Mike

Straw Poll:

Er, none of the above. A positive decision, after litigation, might force Class B issuing to be shall issue. The rest? That would be argued as "reasonable regulations."

Er, none of the above. A positive decision, after litigation, might force Class B issuing to be shall issue. The rest? That would be argued as "reasonable regulations."

I'd say shall issue restricted-As, assuming they incorporate under the same standard in Heller. High capacity handguns are most definitely 'in common use'.

Pena and Sykes are when it gets really interesting.

And he didn't take it... But I also see why he hedged. Scalia's ivory tower bit probably scared him. He shouldn't have allowed himself to be bullied. Plus, maybe that statement was what the court needed to justify a harder look.
Sometimes the court beats the hell out of the guy they are going to agree with on a 5:4 basis too... They want to shake out all the bugs before they go behind closed doors and brow beat the swing vote...

This seemed like more than that to me, but I am far from an expert - just a fan...

I'd say shall issue restricted-As, assuming they incorporate under the same standard in Heller. High capacity handguns are most definitely 'in common use'.

Pena and Sykes are when it gets really interesting.
That "in common use" nonsense really gets me... There are 100's of thousands of full-auto M16/M4's a pantload of 240's, a good number of M2's, etc... Then there is the police - they have patrol rifles, MP5's grenade launchers...

When you get right down to it - most CCW'd guns aren't getting "used" as "weapons" either. They are just guns until that unlucky day...

So, should we look to the gang world and stick with the variety of guns they are using?

Liberal anti-logic non-sense trying to pussy-foot around the whole reason for 2A which was to provide the final check to government abuse in the same manner that the founders had just checked their own (prior) government. Any other explanation is either ignorant of history or delusional.

Back
Top Bottom