• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

I like Marlin rifles, but the current pricing seems too high. For those prices, the rifles need to be really, really good. Because at around $1500, they are competing with the new Winchesters made in Japan by Miroku. And those rifles are really nice. In fact, the only complaints I have ever heard about the Miroku Winchesters are about price, which really says a lot about the quality.

Has anyone really had the chance to compare the quality of the new Marlins to the Japanese made lever actions? Or to the better quality Italian guns, which are also very nice?

I am hoping that when I get the chance to handle a new Marlin, that I am going to be seriously impressed.
I have both a new Marlin 336 Ruger made and a new Miroku Winchester short rifle (not high grade) The Marlin is nicer overall for the same money as the Winchester is more basic. Fit and finish and blue on both are really good. Id give the wood quality to the Marlin. Both were around 1K. No way are they worth 1600 because then your into high grade Winchester territory. And those guns are top notch above the Ruger Marlin.

The higher grade WInchester Sporters which run about 1700-2K are just fxcking beautiful. I've seen some Grade 4 or 5 wood on those with fantastic color case finishes, and they are really quality guns for the extra money. Hard to justify if your just gonna want a hunting gun or a shooter. But Ive handled a few model high grade 92's and 1873's that have been hard not to buy.

The italian guns are nice but the color case is not as nicely done as Winchester, and the wood, is not the quality either, and not really american walnut like on the American guns.

Last edited:

DARK SERIES LEVER-ACTION RIFLES​

Featuring a nylon-reinforced polymer stock with M-LOK® attachment slots, Dark Series rifles bring a modern look to the classic Marlin rifle.

stock.jpg

Nylon-reinforced polymer stock with M-LOK® attachment slots for mounting of accessories.
handguard.jpg

Anodized aluminum handguard features M-LOK® attachment slots for mounting of accessories.
barrel.jpg

Threaded barrel, with factory-installed match polished radial muzzle break has a 11/16"-24 pattern to accommodate other barrel accessories. Thread protector also included.
sight.jpg

Fiber optic front sight with a tritium ring for improved visibility in low light conditions.

Picatinny rail provides a stable mounting surface for scope rings and a variety of optics.
cheekRiser.jpg

Generous recoil pad that effectively absorbs recoil. Cheek riser included for an optimum sight picture when using an optic.

I prefer old school lever actions. I like the way they look. I realize they're not as efficient, but if I want the utmost in efficiency, I don't use a lever action.

It's an interesting concept. A technological advancement of an "assault weapon" from the past. I would consider one of these, preferably the .44 Magnum model, but with a longer barrel, at least 18.5"

I prefer old school lever actions. I like the way they look. I realize they're not as efficient, but if I want the utmost in efficiency, I don't use a lever action.

My buddy with his late Dad's old school Winchester .32 Win Special on NH opening day yesterday.

Attachment.JPG

Last edited:

Nylon-reinforced polymer stock with M-LOK® attachment slots for mounting of accessories.
handguard.jpg

Anodized aluminum handguard features M-LOK® attachment slots for mounting of accessories.
barrel.jpg

Threaded barrel, with factory-installed match polished radial muzzle break has a 11/16"-24 pattern to accommodate other barrel accessories. Thread protector also included.
sight.jpg

Fiber optic front sight with a tritium ring for improved visibility in low light conditions.

Picatinny rail provides a stable mounting surface for scope rings and a variety of optics.
cheekRiser.jpg

Generous recoil pad that effectively absorbs recoil. Cheek riser included for an optimum sight picture when using an optic.

That’s definitely one of the better “tactical” lever guns I’ve seen. The stock would be better if it was solid though.

But I do like how the handguard is fairly unobtrusive and I like that the picatinny rail extends forward a bit, but not all the way. It should allow for mounting clip-on IR devices.

My local gun store has a Marlin 1895G in 45/70 for sale with a Burris Mil Dot scope, rings and offset hammer for $1,500. Way overpriced. I told the owner if he came down around $300 I might be interested. Not at that price though.

That’s definitely one of the better “tactical” lever guns I’ve seen. The stock would be better if it was solid though.

But I do like how the handguard is fairly unobtrusive and I like that the picatinny rail extends forward a bit, but not all the way. It should allow for mounting clip-on IR devices.
They would have been better off making a regular (not grey laminate) walnut 1895, Making an 1895 in .444 Marlin, or finally making an 1894 in .357 IMHO.......but I'm not a marketing genius, however I'll never buy a plastic stocked AR-15 lever, they are gross.

It does seem practical and present options, but 30-30 and 45-70 seem less than ideal for HD. I get wanting rifle energy, but not many of those fit in tubular magazines.

It seems like it may be time to post this video about Tactical Levergun Training again for those who may have missed it before.

Just a quick note on what you feed your lever gun(s). I picked up a box of Hornady lever revolution ammo ( pointed soft tip ammo) for the 45-70 to try in my Marlin 1895 at deer camp. Rifle sighted in well and sped and accuracy was good. However the last round out of the magazine tube would jam and lock up action every time. A little research shows it is a known problem and older rifles require a new magazine follower to eliminate the problem. For now I’m just putting a snap cap dummy in first. I’ll decide later if I will change follower or stay with non pointed bullets

Might as well mention it here. My 2016 Rossi 92 Trapper in 357M (out of which I mainly shoot 125 grain coated bullets at 38+P pressure) is not making my happy lately. Hadn't used it in over a year, not long after I replaced the firing pin and satisfied myself that it was healed. That's a normal enough thing to do. I've done it a couple of times on Henry rifles, the main difference being that I didn't have to pay for the replacement with Henry. Well, I had it out on Tuesday, and this time the ejector broke where it's thinnest. So I ordered another of those plus a replacement collar (because it fell out at the range and I couldn't find it). Probably should resist extrapolating from N=1, but I'm kind of thinking you get what you pay for.

Nice. I have a Remlin that is too nice to trade or sell in .357, and its a very handy 16 inch barrel model.

I nearly bought a new Ruger Marlin Stainless 45-70 Trapper at Cabelas as they had it for 1100 with 10% off Tday week special. So it would have been around $980, with the skinner already on it I didn't think that was bad deal.

Nice gun, just don't feel I'll use it that much. If it was a 44 mag I might have gotten it.

I just placed an ad for my Marlin 1895 .45-70 if anyone is still looking or hasn't found what they want. I'm not giving it away, but it's tuned and has about everything already added that most people would want. It's very close to new condition. Sorry if this is unabashed, but with so many on this forum looking, it made sense to add mine to the fray.

Nice rifle. To bad you’re having to sell it.

Ya, it is kinda ugly for a lever. I've enough levers and that doesn't inspire me to get another, seems a bit chincy reflecting the many things made today. I'da preferred traditional buckhorns with predrilled holes on the receiver for options. I don't get the gap space behind the levers nor the levers themselves and only the one rear swivel stud with no front option. That's going by a quick glance.

Back
Top Bottom