• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

If the production models look that good and run as good as they look, just wow!
2.jpg

3.jpg

stock.jpg

Figured I'd resurrect this since I made a purchase.

Got a new Ruger made Marlin 336C. Paid just south of 1K. KTP had one a non rapey pricing below MSRP. I had retained 1k dollars on a gift card and lots of cash back from trading a bunch of guns on a safe cleanout. Plus they gave me a new gift card for more than the sales tax on top of that.

Anyway, really beautiful new guns.....quality of wood, fit, finish in bluing and wood is better than old Marlins, and way better than Remlins. They did these right. Not quite sure they are worth a grand......but the quality is there.

First off got rid of the safety with a safety delete, that installed no problem. Then installed a Skinner Express peep. This model sits the lowest on the reciever, and gives you the best chance LeverRevolution ammo might work without a front sight change. I screwed it down to it's lowest setting. It shot good point of aim elevation and windage, with my LeverRevolution reloads at 50-60 yards and its all good....I suspect if you use 170 grain softies, you'd probably not have any problems with elevation and may be able to move the rear peep upward. I didn't try them yet. I have a boatload of LeverRev reloads and want to make sure it prints right with those.

The factory rear sight can be left in and the elevator put down low and wings folded down and it pretty much is out of the sight picture......at some point I may drift it out and out a skinner blank in there for a cleaner look, but it doesn't get in the way, and not needed for using the peep.

I had to give my .35 Rem Marlin to my nephew at Dad's request, so once they come out with that caliber, the turdy turdy will likely have a bigger brother.

Got a new Ruger made Marlin 336C. Paid just south of 1K. KTP had one a non rapey pricing below MSRP. I had retained 1k dollars on a gift card and lots of cash back from trading a bunch of guns on a safe cleanout. Plus they gave me a new gift card for more than the sales tax on top of that.

Anyway, really beautiful new guns.....quality of wood, fit, finish in bluing and wood is better than old Marlins, and way better than Remlins. They did these right. Not quite sure they are worth a grand......but the quality is there.

First off got rid of the safety with a safety delete, that installed no problem. Then installed a Skinner Express peep. This model sits the lowest on the reciever, and gives you the best chance LeverRevolution ammo might work without a front sight change. I screwed it down to it's lowest setting. It shot good point of aim elevation and windage, with my LeverRevolution reloads at 50-60 yards and its all good....I suspect if you use 170 grain softies, you'd probably not have any problems with elevation and may be able to move the rear peep upward. I didn't try them yet. I have a boatload of LeverRev reloads and want to make sure it prints right with those.

The factory rear sight can be left in and the elevator put down low and wings folded down and it pretty much is out of the sight picture......at some point I may drift it out and out a skinner blank in there for a cleaner look, but it doesn't get in the way, and not needed for using the peep.

I had to give my .35 Rem Marlin to my nephew at Dad's request, so once they come out with that caliber, the turdy turdy will likely have a bigger brother.

My local FFL, a new mom and pop operation, has one of those. It is beautiful and looks/handles well. IF I needed a .30-30, I would get it.

Like a 1911....everyone needs a 30-30....

Unfortunately, a .30-30 won't do anyhting for me that one of my existing collection won't already do.

However this could change if I find myself in the dire straits of having to burn more money on more guns/more ammo.

;)

Unfortunately, a .30-30 won't do anyhting for me that one of my existing collection won't already do.

However this could change if I find myself in the dire straits of having to burn more money on more guns/more ammo.

;)
Yeah.....if you think that way....really all you need is one rifle. Thats fairly boring! LOL!

1894’s are hitting the shelves. Whose got one?

Im holding off for now unless I see a nice one in person below msrp.

The way they seem to be selling, I highly doubt below msrp will be seen for a while.
I got my Ruger made 336, 200 dollars, below MSRP.

Grabagun has them slightly below, but I want to see it, not get it in a box Edit....they are gone now. 200 above MSRP ones not selling that much.
Some people probably want low serial numbers...I could care less. Not gonna overpay.....I could buy a lot nicer case hardened Winchester at 1500 plus.

The way the gun market is right now.....I think below MSRP will be definately something we'll see. Even lever guns are around in big amounts now.

Plus there is competition with Henry at 900 dollars and Rossi has a 44 mag even cheaper.

People do like 44 mag, but I can hold off....Im in no rush.....the only thing is they do tend to come out in batches. So once this batch is gone, your waiting til the next one.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what exactly is the purpose of the metal insert in the stock that is located just in front of the buttstock sling swivel mount ?
If your talking the white and red thing. That's the Marlin bullseye. Typically black and white.

But its red in the center because its a Ruger made Marlin.

It has no functional purpose.

I've been looking for one if anyone finds one...but not for north of $1200

I got my Ruger made 336, 200 dollars, below MSRP.

Grabagun has them slightly below, but I want to see it, not get it in a box Edit....they are gone now. 200 above MSRP ones not selling that much.
Some people probably want low serial numbers...I could care less. Not gonna overpay.....I could buy a lot nicer case hardened Winchester at 1500 plus.

The way the gun market is right now.....I think below MSRP will be definately something we'll see. Even lever guns are around in big amounts now.

Plus there is competition with Henry at 900 dollars and Rossi has a 44 mag even cheaper.

People do like 44 mag, but I can hold off....Im in no rush.....the only thing is they do tend to come out in batches. So once this batch is gone, your waiting til the next one.
They are now on Grabagun for $1599 and out of stock 1 hour later

Yes I figured that...Yet Mark above got one for $1,000 a month and a half ago...
KTP had several at that price. Not sure why they weren't raping....all of them went pretty quick. I had my choice of three and they were all gone in a week back then.

I think they are making 1894's now...probably have to wait for the second batch of 336's. They probably make them on the same production line as the 1895 and 1894's in batches.

Odds are they don't want to pump them out to fast either the market for levers is softening heavily like everything else in the gun world. 336's may be a little hotter because of deer season is right around the corner. If your paying 1600 for one though, that's nuts.

Like the guys that paid 2500 for the 1895s when the hit the shelves and I just saw them selling for 1600. Which is still high IMH0.

I like Marlin rifles, but the current pricing seems too high. For those prices, the rifles need to be really, really good. Because at around $1500, they are competing with the new Winchesters made in Japan by Miroku. And those rifles are really nice. In fact, the only complaints I have ever heard about the Miroku Winchesters are about price, which really says a lot about the quality.

Has anyone really had the chance to compare the quality of the new Marlins to the Japanese made lever actions? Or to the better quality Italian guns, which are also very nice?

I am hoping that when I get the chance to handle a new Marlin, that I am going to be seriously impressed.

Back
Top Bottom