• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

@meh

Thank you and after a look through the Henry lineup this one looks like what I'm looking for:

Big Boy All-Weather Side Gate.44 Magnum/Special, .45 Colt, .357 Magnum/.38 Special​

and it even say's OK for leftys..

And buckhorn sights suck!
I have the all weather 44 without the loading gate. Love it

Installed a Steve's Gunz bolt-mounted sight on my Rossi 92 45C Trapper. Initially I used an ordinary dovetail blank that I had drilled and tapped to hold the sight's aperture in case I wanted to use it as a ghost ring, but that extended up far enough that it obscured more than half of the front sight post when the aperture was stowed there, which partially defeats the purpose. Made a custom blank out of some dovetail bar stock. It's not perfectly symmetrical because I just ground it by hand on a belt grinder, but it's good enough. I just used a steel shim underneath to tighten it up.

View attachment 710054

I did pretty much the same and for the same reason but I used a blank from Steves. I installed a marbles tang on a 92 in 357 and thought it would be great to have that zeroed to 100 and the buckhorn zeroed at 50 for a faster accusation. Maybe puma should think to install fold down buckhorns.

@meh

Thank you and after a look through the Henry lineup this one looks like what I'm looking for:

Big Boy All-Weather Side Gate.44 Magnum/Special, .45 Colt, .357 Magnum/.38 Special​

and it even say's OK for leftys..

And buckhorn sights suck!
I don't like buckhorns for hunting but I can shoot a peep pretty well. Skinners peep goes well on the Henry.

Any idea why Ruger has not put the 39A back into production?
My guess....it will be one of the last ones they put back in. Itll be expensive to make and its a .22.

The new 336 Classic and 1894's are due out early this year and from the video's Ive seen at shot show they are nice rifles.

The guy they interviewed at Ruger says they are ramping up production and not at max capacity yet....this is by design. They want quality first. And....I think they are
trying to keep some unobtainium in there to keep prices high. If they over produce prices go down.

I think this will be a year or two before things shake out and these really are availble.

Now one of my LGS has a 450 Marlin for sale, If they're still around next week end when I can finally get out one of those 444's or that 450 is coming home with me me thinks.
My best friend has put aside his 7mm mag , 308 and other such and is back to only using his 350 Marlin on deer He shoots it well and the deer don’t seem to go anywhere. If I didn’t already have a 45-70 I’d find a 350 Marlin

go get the 350!

My guess....it will be one of the last ones they put back in. Itll be expensive to make and its a .22.

The new 336 Classic and 1894's are due out early this year and from the video's Ive seen at shot show they are nice rifles.

The guy they interviewed at Ruger says they are ramping up production and not at max capacity yet....this is by design. They want quality first. And....I think they are
trying to keep some unobtainium in there to keep prices high. If they over produce prices go down.

I think this will be a year or two before things shake out and these really are availble.
As with all industry the name of the game will be “produce much less so that profit margins will stay high” and that applies to vehicles as well.

I have a beautiful Winchester 9422 with the Coon & Hound engraving and the fancy (fancy-ish) wood. I'd love to find the 22 mag version, but I don't think they made a high grade version.
So, I may end up getting a Henry in 22 wmr. Not a Winchester and not exactly fancy, so I won't have a matched set, but nice enough.
And as I've posted prior, incredible customer service, and made in America.

As with all industry the name of the game will be “produce much less so that profit margins will stay high” and that applies to vehicles as well.
Agree....problem is for these companies..........like Colt Python for example......... you start off small and making a bunch and get drunk on the income because its like printing money. Eventually they get greedy and make a bunch because some dipshit at the top thinks it will never end and everyone and their brother will buy a Colt Python at MSRP............. and you overproduce them down to 1200 dollars which is 20% off MSRP. Which.....they are probably still making money at. This is why I'm just now starting to look at a Colt Python.

Ruger may not be that stupid, but I have a 336 already and I'm not that stupid to pay MSRP or above either. I can wait.

I know it the world of things a 500 dollars isn't much, but if you go to trade or sell or something, its 500 more dollars your losing.

I finally found a Henry I’ve been after for a while. Picked it up yesterday.

Henry Big Boy X in 357 magnum.

Been looking for one for quite a while. Every place I’ve talked to said they haven’t seen one in close to two years.

Came with the optic mount,
Vortex Crossfire II, (lowest tier garbage scope but it works),
Cheap scope rings,
Henry/ Carlsons ambi hammer extender.
Has a few handling marks and a minor scratch as expected but otherwise looks pretty clean. Previous owner said it was a hunting gun.

Paid $1200 for the setup. I think I did ok in todays market. Most I’ve seen for sale go for $1500+ on armslist. EBAFA98F-C04C-4F0B-B66C-E7F9DB81EF97.jpeg 760A2A1C-077A-4A51-BCE6-D0DD490C4D6E.jpeg 35F2F6F6-1CF0-4D09-A5FE-CFC06E3819D6.jpeg D2207FB1-08DF-4A2C-B4CD-BCE7787A0504.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree, a big reason I wanted a big boy x model was because of the threaded barrel and the fiber optic sights. It will be a great hunting rifle.
I would love one, but not $1,700 worth without even a threaded muzzle.

Agree, staring to see some nice levers come in certain places.....but the prices are retardville.

For the Marlin Trapper.....your gonna shoot it a few times with full boat loads, say ouch and wow...... and put it in the safe, and maybe hunt with it a few times. No thanks for 1700.

I ll take my 500 dollar Rossi 92 PCC and shoot it all day long........

Agree, staring to see some nice levers come in certain places.....but the prices are retardville.

For the Marlin Trapper.....your gonna shoot it a few times with full boat loads, say ouch and wow...... and put it in the safe, and maybe hunt with it a few times. No thanks for 1700.
Agreed. Everyone is eager to buy them but I doubt they'll shoot them regularly once they have to pay $3 per round (average gun owner not being a reloader) and the recoil is substantial.
It's like a noob gun owner buying a S&W 500 magnum. Recoil and ammo prices are full retard. Back in the safe it goes.... [laugh]
I suppose if a 500 magnum revolver cost like $500, maybe I'd buy one but not spending well over a grand to shoot it once or twice a year

Honestly, I would think the 357 and 44 mag models (which haven't shipped yet from Marlin/Ruger?) would be more desirable since the recoil is less and ammo is cheaper/more plentiful.
I mean, I'm sure once they start shipping them, they'll sell like hot cakes too

Honestly, I would think the 357 and 44 mag models (which haven't shipped yet from Marlin/Ruger?) would be more desirable since the recoil is less and ammo is cheaper/more plentiful.
I mean, I'm sure once they start shipping them, they'll sell like hot cakes too
They would have sold way more of those than the 1895's......but Ruger probably made a marketing decision and figured anything they came out with would sell, so why not sell the least popular rifles first. Then move on to the best sellers.

Agreed. Everyone is eager to buy them but I doubt they'll shoot them regularly once they have to pay $3 per round (average gun owner not being a reloader) and the recoil is substantial.
It's like a noob gun owner buying a S&W 500 magnum. Recoil and ammo prices are full retard. Back in the safe it goes.... [laugh]
I suppose if a 500 magnum revolver cost like $500, maybe I'd buy one but not spending well over a grand to shoot it once or twice a year
Shit I reload mouse fart loads for 45-70 plinking and I don't shoot my 45-70 that much.

Pistol calibers are just more fun, and quicker to cycle thru and shoot.

I finally found a Henry I’ve been after for a while. Picked it up yesterday.

Henry Big Boy X in 357 magnum.

Been looking for one for quite a while. Every place I’ve talked to said they haven’t seen one in close to two years.

Came with the optic mount,
Vortex Crossfire II, (lowest tier garbage scope but it works),
Cheap scope rings,
Henry/ Carlsons ambi hammer extender.
Has a few handling marks and a minor scratch as expected but otherwise looks pretty clean. Previous owner said it was a hunting gun.

Paid $1200 for the setup. I think I did ok in todays market. Most I’ve seen for sale go for $1500+ on armslist.View attachment 715637View attachment 715639View attachment 715640View attachment 715641
Great pictures. It is awesome that your have room on your counter for a KitchenAid Mixture. My wife wont let me keep ours there. Nice Rifle too!

Just got back from the Harrisburg show and checked out Rugers new levers in 336 and 1894

I have both of them in Remlins and quality in wood, metal and finish are way nicer in the Ruger made guns. As was expected. I would say nicer than the original JMs as well.

Ruger has slimmed the forends down as well.

These guns are nice!

Back
Top Bottom