School me on AK47's

You smoking crack mang?
No offense but what shops won't convert a saiga or a vepr?
Shops that used to offer converted saigas can't buy them any more. Since there banned for import. Or a retarded monkey would turn away work for omg the government is tracking me internet rumors.
I just helped out at a build party and a lot of the guys used shops to get barrels populated etc.
**** give me a 30rack or good tequila and I'll teach some one how to covert one.

I'll buy the crack for YOU if you can point me to a good reliable person to convert a Saiga in the Boston area. And you'd be surprised how many "retarded monkeys" there are out there! Nobody - nobody - wants to do it. (conversions)

true but most do, they pay 2k and are scared to shoot it more than once.

Someone was telling me a while back that even Jim Fuller said he'd take a Polytech built AK over any of his any day. There is definitely a difference in having a safe queen and having a quality but collectable AK variant. The quality AK will stand up to several thousand rounds and hundreds of range trips and even if parts are ever worn or damaged they can easily be replaced with the same arsenal parts.

Another problem is 2K might not be enough to land a Polytech, the only one I saw had a $2499 price tag on it. No idea what the market value is btw but I will take an arsenal and have just as much fun shooting it for a grand

They need to be like throatpunched or something. Somewhere in my top 10 list of things to do if I win powerball is to buy as many of these guns as I can and fire them, then sell them again. Just so we can end this unfired gun insanity, particularly when it comes to stuff that is what I would call a "working gun". Not shooting an AK is like not shooting a Glock. I don't care if its serial number 1 it should be fired, dammit. Otherwise what good is it...

-Mike

Buy a Chinese AK,

From cost least to most

Mak90
Nhm91 this is the long barreled version
Nhm90
56s
Anything polytech people scream over..

Get cheap ak then get lots of ammo and mags.

I agree. I've had a POS WASR(the single stack version that I drunk "gunsmithed" into a double stack) and an Arsenal. The Arsenal was certainly prettier, but the WASR was every bit as reliable and accurate.

I'll buy the crack for YOU if you can point me to a good reliable person to convert a Saiga in the Boston area. And you'd be surprised how many "retarded monkeys" there are out there! Nobody - nobody - wants to do it. (conversions)

What smiths told you no?
Do they even do conversions in the first place ?

For anyone new to AKs and reading through this thread, here is what I leaden end about 2 years ago when I knew nothing about AKs...
When considering the differences in quality, the most significant difference is in regards to in what factory the rifle was made. For example, the most highly regarded rifles are Russian (saiga and vepr) and are made in the molot factory. The yugo rifles are made in the zastava factory and are on the lower end of the price range, but have a great reputation for build quality. Many others are made in various eastern bloc countries with varying reputations for design and quality control.
Many others are assembled in the u.s from surplus or new parts kits using u.s. Made barrels and receivers. Do your research on these as quality control varies.
Finally their are some high end builders on the states that start with good guns like the saiga, and convert then and add new furniture. These are typically on the expensive end, but have excellence quality.
Other things to think about are the difference between milled and stamped receivers, crime barrels, maybe even the design of how the furniture attaches (it's not all interchangeble). And like others mentioned, decide if you want 7.62x39 or 5.45x39

Love my MAC90

If I had 2k to spend I would get a MAC90 and the remaining in ammo and a few mags.
The drums are fun but not to practical for range blasting IMHO 20 rounders are fine.

Mine has the side rail for optics and I had a gen1 Kobra red dot. that was a very good set up.
I was offered a silly amount for the red dot

i tooooooold you it was easy to do on your own. i'll PM you my address, send the rock anyway. i want to get weird.

sH9Xhpr.gif

i tooooooold you it was easy to do on your own. i'll PM you my address, send the rock anyway. i want to get weird.
OK PM me your mailing address also and I'll FedEx some good rock out to you . (like Zeppelin, Tesla, early Stones, Skynyrd etc... [wink]

PS: having done the recent frustrating pain in the ass search trying to find someone to do it, I spoke from personal experience (above). When I got the Saiga IZ132 (cuz I just wanted a cheaper, first time entry into the AK world), I was told by many that I can "easily get it converted" to accept AK mags. Many people sent recommendations as to who might do it...
First call : "Nope, sorry, no way. We're not touching those anymore!"... Second call: " Not taking any more eork. Moving to Florida, out of this MA hellhole".. Third call: "Nah, I don't wanna do those anymore. Too much bullsh*t from the state (etc)"... Next call, to a shop in NH that was recommended to me:" Nah, sorry. Please understand it's just not worth it anymore, the risk etc".

I'm NOT exaggerating. This was my recent experience. And I WAS gonna try to do it myself, even though I don't have the time, knowledge, tools, place to do it etc. Then two NESers mentioned in PMs how they f*cked theirs up and had to end up taking it somewhere... And one of those "somewhere's" was a guy who now stopped doing them. So I took it to the other, who REGRETS accepting it cuz it's "a pain in the balls" (his direct quote), finding the right bullet guide kit, etc. etc..

If I had it to do over again I'd just pay the extra and get a fully converted AK and be done with it. Instead, the rifle sits in the shop as I wait for Danzig to send me the Kit that I ordered, and have to take to the gunsmith who's now (grudgingly!) doing it...

So, to the OP, don't make the (admitted) mistake that I made.

Last edited:
I've got the 74's already, definitely want the classic look, wood, would like something with some history on it if possible but not necessary (*This used to belong to Alexander Cherneyko who killed seven russian bears with it.) But also reliable and will bang every time.
Thanks for all the input so far.

i'll sell you the Maadi i built..... $1200..... SE Mass

A milled Poly for under $1300 is probably a converted Mak90..I know someone who got duped this way,but he paid full Poly Legend price.

Judging by the front end I'd say it is a Mak 90. Still a better rifle than anything out there from distributors today and the price isn't too bad.

I say poly if you want it to sit in the safe.

Anyone who lets a Polytech sit in the safe might as well have a gorgeous girlfriend that they don't touch.

I've got a Polytech Mak 90 that shoots 100x better than any build I've ever done.

I do not own any safe queens, everything is used and abused appropriately. I don't plan on ever selling any of it so I'm not worried about normal wear and tear on anything. It's a freaking tool, just like my Air Gun, I use it abuse it, fix it and take care of it. Everything gets at least 200 rounds a month through them. (more on the really fun ones!)

OK PM me your mailing address also and I'll FedEx some good rock out to you . (like Zeppelin, Tesla, early Stones, Skynyrd etc... [wink]

PS: having done the recent frustrating pain in the ass search trying to find someone to do it, I spoke from personal experience (above). When I got the Saiga IZ132 (cuz I just wanted a cheaper, first time entry into the AK world), I was told by many that I can "easily get it converted" to accept AK mags. Many people sent recommendations as to who might do it...
First call : "Nope, sorry, no way. We're not touching those anymore!"... Second call: " Not taking any more eork. Moving to Florida, out of this MA hellhole".. Third call: "Nah, I don't wanna do those anymore. Too much bullsh*t from the state (etc)"... Next call, to a shop in NH that was recommended to me:" Nah, sorry. Please understand it's just not worth it anymore, the risk etc".

I'm NOT exaggerating. This was my recent experience. And I WAS gonna try to do it myself, even though I don't have the time, knowledge, tools, place to do it etc. Then two NESers mentioned in PMs how they f*cked theirs up and had to end up taking it somewhere... And one of those "somewhere's" was a guy who now stopped doing them. So I took it to the other, who REGRETS accepting it cuz it's "a pain in the balls" (his direct quote), finding the right bullet guide kit, etc. etc..

If I had it to do over again I'd just pay the extra and get a fully converted AK and be done with it. Instead, the rifle sits in the shop as I wait for Danzig to send me the Kit that I ordered, and have to take to the gunsmith who's now (grudgingly!) doing it...

So, to the OP, don't make the (admitted) mistake that I made.

Watch the Fred Hart saiga conversion videos on YouTube.
Its not rocket science. Drilling, filing and some tapping on the bullet guide. If Fred can do it then a caveman can do it.

If if you want the break on it you might want to have a smith deal with threading. Left mine as is.
Converted Saigas were the same price as Iz132 plus conversion parts but availability with the import ban may have changed that.

Watch the Fred Hart saiga conversion videos on YouTube.
Its not rocket science. Drilling, filing and some tapping on the bullet guide. If Fred can do it then a caveman can do it.

If if you want the break on it you might want to have a smith deal with threading. Left mine as is.
Converted Saigas were the same price as Iz132 plus conversion parts but availability with the import ban may have changed that.

I agree completely, and even though I'm not familiar with those particular videos, there are many really good ones on there, and I watched several just to familiarize myself with the process long before I even owned a Saiga. Even the brake is easy to do now since a few vendors supply a pilot that fits into the muzzle end, which keeps the die perfectly aligned and concentric to the bore. I see absolutely no need for a gunsmith to do one of these rifles. Even your investment in tools is money well spent because they aren't "gun specific" tools (with the exception of the die for the barrel and thread alignment tool). Every adult should have a power drill and bits, a Dremel, and basic hand tools. Just remember, 10 year old kids are assembling these rifles and working on them in caves overseas!

Speaking of AKs I ended up with a real Maadi over the weekend. I think the butt stock and grip are Romanian so now I'm looking to buy originals.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433157866943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433157866943.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 54
I haven't been in the market for an AK in a while and I know the prices went way up since I bought one ($250.00, WASR-10 with 2-30 round mags and accessory kit) but wow, $2,000 on an AKM. I know, you get what you pay for but still. As usual, in hindsight, wish I bought 9 more. Not to re-sell but just to have as an in case, damn-it.

WASR's are/were a crap shoot. Most issues have easy cures. About the worst to do are canted front sights, which aren't that difficult, just a pain, but you can see those. Mine was suspended from the gun shops ceiling with bare steel wire. Didn't help an already lousy finish. It also had a mag wobble but no trigger slap (range tested after), standard too short stocks, and the sights were fine so I bought it.

It looked like this one (not mine, I've no before image) if not a bit worse:

I had some free time on a rainy day so I spent some time in the garage on it. First thing I did was sand down the wood and started staining it with a China red stain I had on the shelf from Home Depot (if interested). In between coats I took the charging handle, bolt carrier and used blueing/rust remover to strip it and started buffing it out on a buffing wheel with some mothers billet polish. By the way, this is all stuff I had on the shelfs. I finished the stocks with multi coats of orange shellac, sanding with 1500 in between. I built the internal dimples with some computer parts and JB weld (good bye mag wobble) and then redid the rest of the metal. Lastly, as I knew at some point I was going to redo it so I already had a new grip (hated the black) and a 1"AK rubber butt plate extension (can still access the storage port, hence AK). All in all I spent $20.00 on the refurb. and a rainy day. Later I got an AK leather sling (also hated the bright green one that came with it).

It doesn't really show in the image but the charging handle/bolt carrier looks chromed. It's just reflecting the surroundings. It gets a 4MOA using wolf black (which is pretty good for an AK) and tightens up to about a 2 with federal.

Back
Top Bottom