School Grounds, Airsoft = Pellet?

mdc

Are Airsoft (plastic pellet) guns illegal on school grounds in MA? The law is below for reference. I am leaning towards yes, but does anyone know? Are paintball guns illegal on school grounds? What about nerf guns? :)

I assume that most schools have their own rules, but I am primarily asking about a university campus. I need something to shoot in my office, but not necessarily at the students :)

(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, "firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

For the purpose of this paragraph, "firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

It doesn't look good for Airsoft. Though you could always ask the President or whoever is considered "in charge" to sign off on it and then you're ok.

Are Airsoft (plastic pellet) guns illegal on school grounds in MA?
Like everything in this benighted state, it probably depends on who you piss off. Shoot some student (even with an Airsoft!) who wails to the press (or his mommy & daddy) and you're probably going away. [rolleyes]

carries on his person a firearm

Most police don't know it, but the ban is 10j is much more restrictive than the other sections of the law, which creates clear evidence that this statute is intended to be different that the more encompassing carry bans. Prosecutors have repeately found that cases involving guns not on the subject's person are without foundation.

(j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. For the purpose of this paragraph, "firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged by whatever means.

So I can keep my firearms properly locked in my vehicle while at work (Vocational teacher) and go to the range after school without having to first go back home to get my guns? Excellent seeing as my club is only about a mile from the school...

Chris

So I can keep my firearms properly locked in my vehicle while at work (Vocational teacher) and go to the range after school without having to first go back home to get my guns? Excellent seeing as my club is only about a mile from the school...
Didn't we go through this about a month ago? [rolleyes] IIRC, JonJ asked his local prosector about this and the answer was "arrest him anyway".

Ross

Chris
Sure, as long as you understand it is very likely you will have to hire an attorney to make it clear you are one of the subjects who knows this subtle difference and will go to trial rather than take the plea bargain, and that you may have to hire an attorney every 6 years to deal with the firearms arrest on your record which will remain even after beating the rap.

Also, there is nothing prohibiting your employer from using "gun in car" as justification for "discharge for cause."

That time I was asking about keeping firearms in your trunk on school grounds. Different question, same answer.

If there are any lawyers in the crowd, some pointers to caselaw would be useful. I looked, but I didn't turn much up.

Didn't we go through this about a month ago? [rolleyes] IIRC, JonJ asked his local prosector about this and the answer was "arrest him anyway".

Ross

It doesn't really matter what case law there might be on this point. The reality is that the typical police officer who will respond doesn't know the subtlties of the law and most certainly will arrest you. The prosecutor will almost certainly charge you and probably offer you the choice of a deal or a court date. Assuming that you turn down the deal and beat the bogus charge in court, you're still out several thousand dollars, with additional installments due every 6 years when you go to renew your LTC. The question you should be asking yourself isn't what the case law might be, but rather, is it really worth it.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom