SBR ok for IPSC?

A qualified yes:

USPSA (IPSC's American sanctioned organization) does not specify barrel length. BUT: The rifle cannot be 'burst' fired (re: three round burst) or 'full automatic' - so semi-auto only. As long as it is '...servicable and safe...' you're good to go.

BUT... two issues:

1) If you are shooting a major match you will have a heck of time making minimum power factor: [(Bullet weight) times (velocity) divided by 1000] must be greater than or equal to 150. Some have had a hard time making power factor with 16" barrels. That's why you see a lot of 18" and 20" barrels at big matches.

That being said ...

2) You shouldn't have any issues at local matches as they don't normally chrono. At big matches the chrono keeps the playing field level. At local, matches we're just runnin' n gunnin' with big smiles on our faces!

I have shot my 7" AR in a local rifle match, anything under 100 yards they work great, on the short fast stuff they are fast. But the muzzle flash is pretty intense. The fireball would block my view of the target when shooting.

A fullsize will shoot smoother with less muzzle jump. but it will transition slightly slower.

As Scott said, you can't make major with one

So I gather that it's really not useful at all.
Unfortunate. I like SBR's and would really like to justify building one.

i bet you could make at least minor with a SBR in 308, which would be cool also. 223 isn't the only rifle round out there.
Maybe even in a krinkov sbr with the 7.62, might make the minor power factor

A qualified yes:

USPSA (IPSC's American sanctioned organization) does not specify barrel length. BUT: The rifle cannot be 'burst' fired (re: three round burst) or 'full automatic' - so semi-auto only. As long as it is '...servicable and safe...' you're good to go.

BUT... two issues:

1) If you are shooting a major match you will have a heck of time making minimum power factor: [(Bullet weight) times (velocity) divided by 1000] must be greater than or equal to 150. Some have had a hard time making power factor with 16" barrels. That's why you see a lot of 18" and 20" barrels at big matches.

That being said ...

2) You shouldn't have any issues at local matches as they don't normally chrono. At big matches the chrono keeps the playing field level. At local, matches we're just runnin' n gunnin' with big smiles on our faces!

Are you allowed to Chrono before you compete? Also, do you know the guys using the 16" barrels using regular .223 ammo or they using 5.56N ammo? Reason I ask is that from what I can tell the 5.56N has higher pressures and the velocity is higher than the standard .223 (from what I can tell, need to get new ballistic books).

You only chrono at large matches, Nationals or Area (regional) Champs.

A rifle that doesn't make minor power factor at a local match isn't a big deal.

It is a lot easier to make minor with a heavy bullet. My 16 inch bull barreled AR has only about 14.5 inches of rifled barrel as a comp was machined into the last 1.5 inches. I have a real problem making minor with 55 gr bullets but make it easily with 69 gr heads.

BrianEnos = EXCELLENT resource

De: your bro has my cell # (or should anyways)....give me a call man. we oughta do some shooting (after watchin you guys, i realize i have a LOT of work to do lol).

(FWIW, i'm building a new upper as well. 24" bull barrel / scope only target/varmint gun)...just for fun :)

Back
Top Bottom