• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice for heavy recoiling bolt actions?

rogersmithiii

NES Member
I've shot Garands before, and find the recoil not horribly bad. I acquired a Ruger M77 bolt in 30.06, and after six slow shots, my shoulder was in agony.
Is there a pad or jacket that high power people use that can make the recoil tolerable? Or am I not holding the butt in the right place?

thanks

grand is a gas gun, inherently a bit less felt recoil than the more static bolt gun.

there are literally dozens of slip on pads that claim to decelerate and tame recoil on amazon.

"Reduced" or "Managed" recoil ammo is available. Well.....as available as anything else these days I guess.

My t53 I added a screw on pad. Really takes the funk out of it.

A brake would be better, but then the bayonet couldn't be used.

Pad up. Sling up and know how to USE it, and watch where you tuck.

I have to be careful and full pressure on sling, but once done, I can run 30-60 rounds through in a session.

I've shot Garands before, and find the recoil not horribly bad. I acquired a Ruger M77 bolt in 30.06, and after six slow shots, my shoulder was in agony.
Is there a pad or jacket that high power people use that can make the recoil tolerable? Or am I not holding the butt in the right place?

thanks
If a 30-06 is hurting you that much you're holding it wrong or you're a pre menopausal woman with bone density issues. I can put several boxes of 30-06 through an 03a3 without an issue in a t shirt and it has a steel butt plate.

The metal butt plate on my mosin is a great recoil absorber.🤣 I just make sure its set against some front deltoid muscle and not on bone. Does get sore after a while(20-30 rounds) but not too bad
Nothing like an m44 mosin carbine and some yugo m30 ball to teach someone the consequences of shouldering a rifle incorrectly lol

thanks
If you'd have said after 20 or 30 shots, I'd have just said a recoil pad. Plenty of choices. It does add to the length of pull. I got a Recoil Eraser for my Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag, and I shoot about 30 rounds off-hand without a problem. I usually stop then for other reasons than comfort. The rifle is a little bit less comfortable from the bench because I'm seated and leaning forward. However, if you're hurting after only 6 shots, I'd make sure the recoil energy is transferred to the upper part of the pec muscle by the whole surface area of the buttstock. You don't want to put like just one square inch of the lower corner of the buttstock on your shoulder.

thanks
For a while I used a "Keeper" buttplate pad I got on amazon that helped on my K98, I'm on blood thinners and the 8mm kick was leaving me looking like I got shot with a rubber 37mm while "peacefully protesting". I try not to shoot the k98 too much these days since i'm probably destroying a nice piece of history, so you're welcome to the pad if you want it.

thanks
I have a few of these on my rifles - Garand, 1903A3, K31, and Marlin 30-30.
Amazon product ASIN B00081Q7E4View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081Q7E4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I call them pussy pads [laugh]
They work though! and make shooting them WAY more enjoyable.

Find a recoil pad that fits YOUR shoulder well. In addition to the elastic absorption qualities, you want the recoil pad to have the max surface area match to your shoulder contours to distribute the force, and also provide the right length of pull so the pad is snug against your shoulder and not banging into it like a hammer from the recoil. A sling helps to snug everything up properly.

thanks
are you shooting from the bench?
I think shooting from the bench just puts all the recoil into your shoulder.

The M77 stock/pad is not a great fit for me. Actually the pitch of the pad is all wrong and the toe of the recoil pad can dig into me.

I have one of these from the days before I picked up a shooting jacket. Now it will not really reduce recoil but it will to some degree keep the rifle in place.

Sometimes some rifle stocks just do not fit

I have this one but I think its made by Allen ? all the same stuff. It does not reduce recoil but I can often bruise through out my shoulder even though the recoil "does not bother me" This will reduce the bruises

Now depending on what your doing sometimes the old USMC light shooting coats come up for sale.

Last edited:
I think that the massive recoil from that 30-06 may have killed Roger
I noticed most 30-06 rifles have no muzzle brakes on them - is it a matter of a general principle, or are they all used in some competitions that prohibit brakes?
Or is it just considered sporty to be kicked by them?

I noticed most 30-06 rifles have no muzzle brakes on them - is it a matter of a general principle, or are they all used in some competitions that prohibit brakes?
Or is it just considered sporty to be kicked by them?
30-06 used in competition is very rare these days. In specific M1 or Springfield matches; yes. But in any match where you are not required to use a special rifle or caliber, 30-06 just isn't seen anymore.
Not because it's not capable, it's probably just not a good trade-off between ballistics, recoil, amount of powder needed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom