• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starter .22 for practical rimfire

Akkurat

NES Member
I’d like to hear recommendations for what kind of .22 rifle for practical rimfire competitions like the Green Mountain one. The event description says targets from 75 to 300 yards. Is this kind of competition mostly for bolt action or do people also shoot 10/22 style rifles? What power scope is recommended? Are there restrictions? I have a nice .17 hmr rifle but don’t have a .22 rifle yet.

The Green Mountain matches are part of the PRS Rimfire series. Both bolt action and semi-autos are allowed but the vast majority of competitors shoot bolt guns. The matches are PRS style, shooting off of barricades at small steel targets at varying distances off of props and with a par time, usually 90 or 120 seconds. Google/YouTube will give you a better idea if have not witnessed these types of matches before.

As for caliber, it 100% needs to be .22lr. No other calibers are allowed and neither are hand loaded .22lr solids.

There are really only 5 rifles that are contenders. CZ 457, Tikka T1x, Bergara B14r are the less expensive options. Vudoo and RimX are the top of the line choices.

For scope, you will want FFP reticle with a magnification range that goes up to or above 20x. A 3-18x will work fine if it's something you already have. Most shooting will be done at 12x-16x. I'd strongly suggest a Christmas tree reticle of some kind and to get a scope with MIL turrets and MIL reticle. Christmas tree reticle will help with wind holds when you're also holding elevation, and also can help to measure misses and get back on target. MIL vs MOA is largely preference, but almost nobody in PRS uses MOA. If you're gonna shoot PRS and currently use MOA, I'd strongly suggest switching to MIL, it will make your life much easier. Whatever you decide, make sure that your turrets and reticle match, mil/mil or moa/moa.

Once you have a rifle setup, don't buy anything else, just go shoot a match. Everyone will help you out and it's a ton of fun.

Holy crap, out to 300 yards with a .22lr???
I have a hard enough time hitting an 8 inch steel plate at 30 ft.
PRS will definitely never be a game for me. But it does sound like fun to watch someone else hit something 300 yards away with a .22

@MC56
I'm thinking about going to a match at New Bedford.
I'll probably be like a noob at USPSA with a stock G17 and an uncle mikes holster, but I dont care

This is what I have to start
Savage mk2 with a boyds stock. I'm working on bedding it for a better / more consistent fit, it currently does not maintain action screw torque.
My scope is a Mueller 4.5-14.
My ammo is wolf match target
It has a bipod and I have one small bag that I have used for under the stock while shooting off a bench
I have watched some PRS videos about bag use, I'm not buying any of that stuff yet, I assume someone would let me borrow stuff at a match

What distance do you recommend to zero at? What distances for dope notes?

After my first match I'll probably go full retard. Shortly after @BostonBullit will too

The Green Mountain matches are part of the PRS Rimfire series. Both bolt action and semi-autos are allowed but the vast majority of competitors shoot bolt guns. The matches are PRS style, shooting off of barricades at small steel targets at varying distances off of props and with a par time, usually 90 or 120 seconds. Google/YouTube will give you a better idea if have not witnessed these types of matches before.

As for caliber, it 100% needs to be .22lr. No other calibers are allowed and neither are hand loaded .22lr solids.

There are really only 5 rifles that are contenders. CZ 457, Tikka T1x, Bergara B14r are the less expensive options. Vudoo and RimX are the top of the line choices.

For scope, you will want FFP reticle with a magnification range that goes up to or above 20x. A 3-18x will work fine if it's something you already have. Most shooting will be done at 12x-16x. I'd strongly suggest a Christmas tree reticle of some kind and to get a scope with MIL turrets and MIL reticle. Christmas tree reticle will help with wind holds when you're also holding elevation, and also can help to measure misses and get back on target. MIL vs MOA is largely preference, but almost nobody in PRS uses MOA. If you're gonna shoot PRS and currently use MOA, I'd strongly suggest switching to MIL, it will make your life much easier. Whatever you decide, make sure that your turrets and reticle match, mil/mil or moa/moa.

Once you have a rifle setup, don't buy anything else, just go shoot a match. Everyone will help you out and it's a ton of fun.
Great info here.

@MC56
I'll probably be like a noob at USPSA with a stock G17 and an uncle mikes holster, but I dont care

Savage mk2 with a boyds stock. I'm working on bedding it for a better / more consistent fit, it currently does not maintain action screw torque.
It has a bipod and I have one small bag that I have used for under the stock while shooting off a bench
I have watched some PRS videos about bag use, I'm not buying any of that stuff yet, I assume someone would let me borrow stuff at a match

After my first match I'll probably go full retard. Shortly after @BostonBullit will too

Everything you have will work. Run what you have and we'll all help you out. You can definitely borrow bags.

Zero at either 25 or 50, doesn't really matter. If you can, get some chrono data beforehand and download Strelok Pro phone app. Enter your muzzle velocity and rifle data and that will put you in the ballpark for dope.

Targets for the New Bedford match only go out to 100yds, but there's usually lots of movement, target transitions, and challenging positions. It's a fun match. Also, the whole match is shot from a covered area so we stay dry if it rains.

Everything you have will work. Run what you have and we'll all help you out. You can definitely borrow bags.

Zero at either 25 or 50, doesn't really matter. If you can, get some chrono data beforehand and download Strelok Pro phone app. Enter your muzzle velocity and rifle data and that will put you in the ballpark for dope.

Targets for the New Bedford match only go out to 100yds, but there's usually lots of movement, target transitions, and challenging positions. It's a fun match. Also, the whole match is shot from a covered area so we stay dry if it rains.
what he says and you will need to lock into specific sort of ammo, so your drop would be predictable. aguila se is actually shooting quite fine from cz 457.
this fine - at 100yds:
1647129751299.png

the voodoo could have been better, but, well. cz 457 mtr also works. i zeroed mine at 50yds.

Why, is this because of accuracy, reliability, weight, or some other design limitations?

Why, is this because of accuracy, reliability, weight, or some other design limitations?
All things considered, CZ, Tikka and Bergara make a consistently accurate and reliable .22 repeater. All 3 have good aftermarket support in chassis/stock options, scope bases, and either aftermarket triggers or spring upgrades. Savages are accurate but generally not as smooth or reliable when balancing on a barricade and trying to stay on target. It will work to get someone into the game, but nobody serious about the game is shooting a savage. Other high-end benchrest .22 vendors just haven't put out any repeaters that would work well for this style of shooting.

The Vudoo and RimX fixed a lot of the little PITA things about thr former 3 options...AICS pattern mags, aftermarket trigger pack options, reliable feeding/extraction, control round feed, etc. They are also super smooth for a .22 and the RimX accepts prefits.

@MC56

Find ammo your rifle likes and buy a good amount of the same lot#
Get some crony data. You might be surprised at how slow/fast your ammo is
I have been wanting to do PRS 22lr for a while but just never have the time so I play my own games.

As far as zero? I think that is highly dependent of how much adjustment your scope has , reticle subtensions and such.
When I finally find the time to do a PRS I will be running a unconventional set up
A 80 year old 513t with a SIII 8x32x54
Big honking beast or maybe my Tacsol AR ?

Last edited:
I looked into this. Did a lot of reading and watched a lot of videos.

CZ 457 is by far the best factory option not crazy expensive. I found videos comparing it to other rifles similarly priced but with $600+ in after market parts, and the 457 still kicks a**.

The 457 is to CZ what the 10/22 is to Ruger, it is the rifle keeping their rifle line alive.

The only reason I didn't get into this is because of the ammo. The competition ammo people seem to use is pretty hard to find and seems to sometimes vary quite a bit from one production lot to another.

CZ 457 with a Tract TORIC 34mm scope = ✊💦

CZ 457 is by far the best factory option not crazy expensive. I found videos comparing it to other rifles similarly priced but with $600+ in after market parts, and the 457 still kicks a**.

The 457 is to CZ what the 10/22 is to Ruger, it is the rifle keeping their rifle line alive.

The only reason I didn't get into this is because of the ammo. The competition ammo people seem to use is pretty hard to find and seems to sometimes vary quite a bit from one production lot to another.

Unless you’re a lefty, that changes the equation as CZ doesn’t make their chassis models for lefty’s yet. I plan to shoot the cheap ammo until I get good enough for it to matter.
Then, it will be like the primer shortage where you have to scramble to find the right ammo. But, now is a good time, as ammo is starting to come back.

Unless you’re a lefty, that changes the equation as CZ doesn’t make their chassis models for lefty’s yet. I plan to shoot the cheap ammo until I get good enough for it to matter.
Then, it will be like the primer shortage where you have to scramble to find the right ammo. But, now is a good time, as ammo is starting to come back.
I am right handed but left eye dominant. So I shoot handguns right handed, but for some weird reason I feel better shooting rifles lefty.

I had to get used to shooting bolt actions right handed unless I am standing up, then I naturally go to my left shoulder.

I am weird like that.

You could always get an after market chassis that is lefty. I didn't look too much into this, so I don't know if that makes sense.

As long as the cheapest ammo you plan to shoot is CCI, you will be perfectly fine. CCI Target is kind of the baseline ammo I use for any of my .22 rifles, even my plinkers. Quick story, I was at an Appleseed event where one student was consistently having issues with his rifle. Scores on the AQT were south of 190 for every attempt. Failure to feed, failure to eject, Misfires, etc. Everything short of a squib. If he had kept shooting the ammo he brought it was probably going end with a squib. We handed him a box of CCI target and he scored Distinguished by the end of the day, multiple times.

Not saying that it was the CCI ammo that allowed him to score higher, but I am saying that it was the cheap bulk ammo that prevented him from scoring higher.

Shooters deep into this will go/send rifle to Tenex or lapua find the best lot to perform in their rifle and buy a shit ton of the same lot.
Good ammo is not hard to find.
Yeah, your not picking up 5-10k rounds of the same lot # from most shops or any 22 rim fire over .10 round generally.
I dont have a platform or skills to really bother with anything better than SK Standard Plus, CCI SV does well also.
NOTE 22lr velocity testing is done with a 26” barrel
CCI , Lapua , Tenex all test from 26” barrel.

Last edited:
Shooters deep into this will go/send rifle to Tenex or lapua find the best lot to perform in their rifle and buy a shit ton of the same lot.
Good ammo is not hard to find.
Yeah, your not picking up 5-10k rounds of the same lot # from most shops or any 22 rim fire over .10 round generally.
I dont have a platform or skills to really bother with anything better than SK Standard Plus, CCI SV does well also.
NOTE 22lr velocity testing is done with a 26” barrel
CCI , Lapua , Tenex all test from 26” barrel.
Will they sell you the ammo it performs best with?

If ammo is the only thing holding you back, SK std plus is readily available and consistent/accurate enough for this game. Yea...some lots will shoot better than others and velocity may vary a bit between lots, but you'll miss way more shots trying to stabilize your reticle wobble and calling wind, especially when you're first starting out, than from lot to lot accuracy variance of quality ammo. Tuner helps, especially with factory barrel profile options.

After rereading my last post, I want to add that I do recommend shooting each match with the same lot for POI and velocity consistency throughout the match.

Eley Club is my go-to for my Kidd 10/22 right now. Shoots marginally better than the CCI, but enough for me to use it when I'm at an event.
Sk Rifle Match is what I use for CZ457

I have a CZ457 VPT with the manners carbon stock plus a Burris 6x24 scope of anyone is interested in trading. Not really looking to sell, just trade for revolvers. 9DDCBD16-3B13-4EA2-B53D-7A8F0629CEDE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom