• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice for heavy recoiling bolt actions?

30-06 used in competition is very rare these days. In specific M1 or Springfield matches; yes. But in any match where you are not required to use a special rifle or caliber, 30-06 just isn't seen anymore.
Not because it's not capable, it's probably just not a good trade-off between ballistics, recoil, amount of powder needed, etc.
On top of all that the pitch on most rifles or lack of correct pitch can really hammer some people.
BUT out side competitions hunting rifles are built to a average
If the pitch or toe in or out is off for your build you wont really notice inside 10 rounds or so.
This is why shotgun competition type shooters have 4-6 way adjustable butt plates and adjustable combs.

Shooting from a bench puts you in a odd position and all the recoil goes to your shoulder and your generally tense from leaning over.
Shooting prone you put more mass behind the shoulder.
Shooting sitting or standing you will flex a bit better , recoil is pushing you vs “hitting” when at the bench.

Even my pellet guns are modified to fit me.
I must have a short cheek to pupil distance as 99% of all my rifles I could use a higher comb.
Even on Iron sighted rifles like
AR , Garand , M1a
Since I shoot those in rules regulated matches I have to do more of a slight chin weld.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 8
i just got a new brake set on the bergara. folks on forums say it works very well, will see. was a $99 while PA had its aero sale.

A4C61E03-21F0-4C78-94E8-675018B6CFEF.jpeg

I hear a lot of recommendations for the VG6 too, but I’ve never used one. Looking forward to any feedback.
so, results are quite positive :), but not ideal. the gun stopped jumping up from the bench like it did before - bipod legs do not lose contact with the wood anymore, but there is still a decent amount of the vertical jolt/whip - but much, much less than it was. still, it is a far cry from the complete absence of it like on a 6 dasher where you shoot and it stands still.
but, that dasher rig is at 18.2lbs, and this one is barely at 12.
with some practice at 300 i was able to see the point of impact spot aiming at the steel - with old one it was not possible at all as scope would fly off completely. so, it will do.
i do not want to reduce the load as the accuracy is great, so, it will stay - a definite improvement over what it was.

It’s not for keeping warm on those chilly Camp Perry afternoons?
LOL- chilly? Some poor SOB dropped due to heat exhaustion at last year's Nationals. Think I heard, "Better be dead if he's gonna slow down the relay like that..." Shoulda had the vented shooting jacket like mine (doesn't make much of a difference LOL). I drank tons of lemon flavor electrolyte mix and still never had to pee.

Shooting jackets do have a recoil pad, at least my Creedmoor does and that's probably the most popular make.

When sighting in and/or load developing for high power hunting rifles like my 7mm Mag I will wear a Boyt D30 shoulder pad harness. It has some sort of material that does a great job of absorbing the recoil. Yeah go ahead and make fun NES, but full boat loads in 7mm Mag shot from a light rifle will turn your shoulder black and blue after a box or so of bullets. You can tough it out, but why?

I think length-of-pull on the stock has a lot do with it also. Most stocks are 14" from what I can tell. I'm 5'9" with long arms and find the 14" LOP too short

My Brothers 300 Weatherby Magnum had pretty intense recoil, barrel was non threaded so we installed a clamp on muzzle break. Gun still kicks but the break helped to take the edge off. Been on for a few years and has had no issues. Only downside is the extra length added meant loosing a shelf in the safe.

What position are you shooting from? The proper use of a proper sling will mitigate a lot of felt recoil.
A shooting coat isn't made for absorbing recoil, it's for absorbing pulse.

Shooting from a bench? I have no help for you.
Shooting from a bench puts you in poor position and all the recoil goes to your shoulder.
Standing is much better or go prone.

I've shot Garands before, and find the recoil not horribly bad. I acquired a Ruger M77 bolt in 30.06, and after six slow shots, my shoulder was in agony.
Is there a pad or jacket that high power people use that can make the recoil tolerable? Or am I not holding the butt in the right place?

thanks
Have a piece of rug from the hardware store sewn on the inside of your shooting jacket in the shoulder area. You are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom