• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

safe wont open WTF!!!

Funny i just read this. A locksmith is comming today to replace my combo, and get it open. Mind you it is brand new and has all my firearms in it. Hope all goes well for you
Jay

Several safe companies have told me that electronic locks are prone to more failures compared to dials.
Also, when mechanical locks fail they often give some indication something is not quite right before total failure; electronic locks give no such indication.

I had an S&G salesman at the Shot Show tell me lockouts were unheard of. I asked if they were prepared to back that with lifetime on-site safe entry and repair if there was a lock based lockout, and the answer was No.

Eastern Security Safe is great, but I know from a friend's experience that they will NOT provide any service, except at their standard hourly rate, on an electronic lock failure of one of the units they sold after the warantee period has expired.

Bottom line: You on your own when the lock fails.

WRITE THAT NUMBER ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SAFE
If your code is just "shift by N digits", "reverse the numbers" or "reverse the digits" you might as well put the combo on the safe. My spare combo copy is in plaintext in my safe deposit box.

I actually add a number to the front and put it in my phone as an alternate phone number for one of my contacts.

The safe deposit box is still the best idea - but I don't have one :p.

Pick a number, any number between say 1 and 9

Pick an operator - addition or subtraction

Take your safe combo - for example 27 - 51 - 36

Now the tuff part! Lets use minus 3 for our example.

Your new combination is now: 24 - 48 - 33 (your original number less three from each digit)

WRITE THAT NUMBER ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SAFE

Now all you need to remember is PLUS THREE

Back to our regularly scheduled thread, and yes I agree, make sure there is no pressure on the door and handle, clear the lock and try again. If it does'nt work, call me! I love breaking into things! [smile]

I was going to have it fixed,the locksmith I called is authorized to repair S&G locks. I was told the problem is fairly commomn and it would most likely take another 5plus years to happen again. I will get it fixed, but probably not until after I get my taxes back.

This happens with brand new S&G locks as well. So often, it's one of the first things many safe companies ask you to try when a relatively NEW safe fails to open. Add/subtract 1 or 2, usually from the second number. With a new safe, it's just the rough bits wearing. It really isn't a big deal.

Yes it happened to me locksmith fixed it in about 10 tens.One of the gears has a ber on it he change the comb and toke the ber off and it has been no problem for over 5 years.He said it can if you move it a lot
My 2 cents
Howie

Yes it happened to me locksmith fixed it in about 10 tens.One of the gears has a ber on it he change the comb and toke the ber off and it has been no problem for over 5 years.He said it can if you move it a lot
My 2 cents
Howie

WHAT?

Today I went to open my safe and it will not open. I have tried till I am blue in the face but it just will not open. My safe is a Browning pro series with and S&G lock. This sucks, guess I will be calling the locksmith. WHen I turn the dial its like its not catching. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

the same thing

I think that he meant "Yes, it also happened to me. A locksmith fixed it in about 10 minutes. One of the gears had a burr on it. He changed the comb and deburred the gear. I have not had another problem in the 5 years since." No idea what he meant next.

Please be aware that I have to read and understand what my supervisor writes. I recently took a refresher course in hieroglyphics for this very reason.

Last edited:
Today I went to open my safe and it will not open. I have tried till I am blue in the face but it just will not open. My safe is a Browning pro series with and S&G lock. This sucks, guess I will be calling the locksmith. WHen I turn the dial its like its not catching. Has this ever happened to anybody else?
[shocked]
All I can say is
Man that's gotta suck!

I use to have a floor safe that wouldn't open after the right combo and I "applied" some heat with a heat gun on the dial for a min. and it opened. Figure?

Last edited:
I think that he meant "Yes, it also happened to me. A locksmith fixed it in about 10 minutes. One of the gears had a burr on it. He changed the comb and deburred the gear. I have not had another problem in the 5 years since." No idea what he meant next.

Please be aware that I have to read and understand what my supervisor writes. I recently took a refresher course in hieroglyphics for this very reason.

[laugh2][rofl][laugh][laugh][laugh2][rofl]

I had issues with mine 1 month ago.I have a sentry and the cure was this. Spin the dial 10-15 times to the left.I know it should reset the tumblers after 5 but that didnt work.After I took the advise from my father-in-law,it worked on the very first try.I too anted to call a locksmth but after my tantrem and listening to some advise I soon was shooting again

Back
Top Bottom