• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

safe wont open WTF!!!

stinx

NES Member
Today I went to open my safe and it will not open. I have tried till I am blue in the face but it just will not open. My safe is a Browning pro series with and S&G lock. This sucks, guess I will be calling the locksmith. WHen I turn the dial its like its not catching. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

The battery died in my electronic lock. I had that moment of panic when I was sweating not being able to get back into my safe. One battery swap and I was breathing easier.

Today I went to open my safe and it will not open. I have tried till I am blue in the face but it just will not open. My safe is a Browning pro series with and S&G lock. This sucks, guess I will be calling the locksmith. WHen I turn the dial its like its not catching. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

This may sound insane, but there are times when I transpose or confuse numbers in my head and do not consider that I could possibly be mistaken. Do you have the combination written down somewhere, just double check it.

I had some issues with my safe a few days ago. It wouldn't close properly.
Currently, to allow the dial to spin properly, I hold pressure on the handle.

Have you tried giving some pressure to the handle while turning the dial?

I have tried everything, when I spin the dial i can feel it grinding. I have never heard of a safe breaking,I guess anything is possible

I have tried everything, when I spin the dial i can feel it grinding. I have never heard of a safe breaking,I guess anything is possible

That's what mine was doing a few days ago.

If I put pressure on the lever it stops grinding and allows the dial to be turned.

It's basically an adjustment surrounding the dial on the inside of the safe.

I adjusted mine because my bolts were at a slight angle.

I did some research on this a couple of weeks ago, and the safe pros have it happen to a few people every week.

They are mechanical devices, more or less cheaply built, they will eventually break.

Several safe companies have told me that electronic locks are prone to more failures compared to dials.

Most people don't realize that dial locks, including the S&Gs, need to have maintenance service performed - S&G recommends every 5 years.

Im sure a good lock smith can get it open

I hope the guy breaking into your house has the decency to give you a minute to figure out how to get the safe open. Maybe he could give you a hand?

Is the door bowed out in the middle, even a tad? Try putting some pressure across the front of the door to make sure that the door is lined up with the lock. I had a similar issue with my safe and found that to be the cause.
Good Luck.
Best Regards.

This may sound insane, but there are times when I transpose or confuse numbers in my head and do not consider that I could possibly be mistaken. Do you have the combination written down somewhere, just double check it.

I have no advice for the OP, but on Waynewongs point this is a good idea and something I do because I know that eventually I will forget the number.

When you get a new safe be sure to leave the safe numbers somewhere in the house and in plain sight. You do this so that someone else can open the safe if you happen to keep papers or certs in it. Just make an entry into your telephone book or your cell phone, telephone pad is better since you can lose your cell phone.

For this example I'll use an area code and safe combo number. 781 and 37,81,17. The dummy telephone entry for that would be:

Bill Smith 781-378-1177. The last digit is just a repeat of the last digit of the combination.

Hope that helps someone.

Kick it.

Try this, (if you haven't already). Clear your dial, (spin it). Then, put pressure on the bolt lever and turn the dial - see if it catches. Worked for me, then I called a locksmith who echoed a previous post: "Nobody takes the time to have their tumblers maintained things get loose and then problems - call me now or call me later". If you get it open, check your tumblers - they're held on with a bolt and it may be loose.

I have no advice for the OP, but on Waynewongs point this is a good idea and something I do because I know that eventually I will forget the number.

When you get a new safe be sure to leave the safe numbers somewhere in the house and in plain sight. You do this so that someone else can open the safe if you happen to keep papers or certs in it. Just make an entry into your telephone book or your cell phone, telephone pad is better since you can lose your cell phone.

For this example I'll use an area code and safe combo number. 781 and 37,81,17. The dummy telephone entry for that would be:

Bill Smith 781-378-1177. The last digit is just a repeat of the last digit of the combination.

Hope that helps someone.

Pick a number, any number between say 1 and 9

Pick an operator - addition or subtraction

Take your safe combo - for example 27 - 51 - 36

Now the tuff part! Lets use minus 3 for our example.

Your new combination is now: 24 - 48 - 33 (your original number less three from each digit)

WRITE THAT NUMBER ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SAFE

Now all you need to remember is PLUS THREE

Back to our regularly scheduled thread, and yes I agree, make sure there is no pressure on the door and handle, clear the lock and try again. If it does'nt work, call me! I love breaking into things! [smile]

called the locksmith this morning, before coming out he told me to try using my comination adding one to each number. If that did not work try subtractiong one number. SUbtracting worked. THe locksmith told me inside the lock its brass on brass and the parts have worn . My options were use the new comination and probably get another six plus years or out of it or pay to have the parts replaced. I went with the new combination I figure in 6 years ill need a new safe anyways,

I have a 1500 pound Liberty safe that I moved with the help of friends when I moved to save money (famous last words). As we were lowering it into the bulk head a strap broke and a 1500 pound safe bounced through the bulk head door. I could not get it open. After calling a bunch of locksmiths all quoting $500+ to drill my safe I tried the plus and minus trick and after many many attempts I got my safe open.

After open I called a bunch of locksmiths anf they still wanted $500 to fix/replace my locking mechanism. On a hunch I called liberty and told them my detailed story and they sent me a new dial and lock assembly free of charge. I installed it myself, tested it 100 times with the door open and ten years later the safe works perfectly (with a few scratches for personality).

Might want to call your safe manufacturer? Good luck.

called the locksmith this morning, before coming out he told me to try using my comination adding one to each number. If that did not work try subtractiong one number. SUbtracting worked. THe locksmith told me inside the lock its brass on brass and the parts have worn . My options were use the new comination and probably get another six plus years or out of it or pay to have the parts replaced. I went with the new combination I figure in 6 years ill need a new safe anyways,

S&G is a respected company. If your safe is relatively new, I'd call them, explain the problem and what solved it, and I'll bet they'll come up with something.

I would not recommending just living with the "new" combination. If the brass shaft has lost the sharpness of its flat, it will keep happening.

I was going to have it fixed,the locksmith I called is authorized to repair S&G locks. I was told the problem is fairly commomn and it would most likely take another 5plus years to happen again. I will get it fixed, but probably not until after I get my taxes back.

Back
Top Bottom