Sad Story - What would you have done?

Sorry to hear of your friend's woes. I hope he recovers swiftly.

After reading every thread these things pop to my mind.

I'm of the mindset that you're safest when you expect the worse and respond accordingly. Had that been me,and if I had my CCW (I usually do), I would have drawn and shot once the first perp made it within 5 feet of me, 20 feet if he had a weapon.

I would never fire a warning shot. It wastes a bullet. If you're in great enough danger to draw and aim a lethal weapon at someone, a warning shot is not needed and tactically puts you at a disadvantage.

I'd encourage your friend to contact the PD. If he sits on it for an extended period and reports it down the road (if more problems with the goons resurface) the LEOs might not believe him. I understand he doesn't want to stir the waters after what's happened but he needs encouragement to find the courage to report a crime by a gang of thugs that will likely do this to someone else down the road, possibly with much worse consequences. I wouldn't want that on my conscience because I was scared of repercussions.

I hope it all works out.

What was the name of the guy that shot up the group of thugs that were surrounding him on a subway car? I think he had a tough time defending his using Deadly force before they had a chance to start the attack. That situation just sucks no matter what you choose do.

I would have gotten the poop kicked out of me because MA doesn't give out Class A permits to non residents, I would then file suit against the state of MA to pay for my medical expenses, hookers, and blow.

A. You would have had to fund that suit with your own cash, and no contingency fee attorney would be likely to take it.

B. Once it went to trial, you would loose.

If he has some quaint notion of payback, it's playing with fire. What he does have in a red town is serious justification for an unrestricted LTC if the event was very recent. Yes, like previously stated, obvious disparity of force.

He has an enemy out there who could kill him next time. Time to get the police involved before he does something stupid because in street justice scenarios all too often the good guys end up in jail because they are good guys and don't know how to game the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound advice.

Throw a hard block. That should have diffused the situation.

Seriously. If he doesn't want to carry a firearm maybe he should get a fid and carry pepper spray.

IMO he would have been justified in pulling a cow and putting holes in them until the threat was neutralized.

While legally I would not recommend doing this, you do understand the physics of a falling object? Terminal velocity and whatnot... I bullet fired at a large vertical angle will lose most/all it's energy before it falls to earth

A bullet fired at a small horizontal angle (a missed shot) will continue its path with full force until it strikes an object

Long story short... 6 v 1 and I would stop the threat...red tape of civil court be damned! The only reason the OPs friend lived is because of LUCK. Just don't miss!

I wouldn't want to get hit. JoeT is spot on! Celebratory gunfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6 versus 1? Been there done that. Even drew down on them. Guy tried to kick me in the nuts while I had him at gun point. I blocked the kick and holstered. The gun didn't phase them, but they ran when I wanted to go hand to hand. Go figure.

What was the name of the guy that shot up the group of thugs that were surrounding him on a subway car? I think he had a tough time defending his using Deadly force before they had a chance to start the attack. That situation just sucks no matter what you choose do.

If you are talking the Getz shooting 1993 in New York, I'd have to look again but I think he put a couple rounds into people already down is where he got into trouble. Besides being in New York with a gun.

He got convicted of illegal weapon possession, spent less than a year in jail.

in post edit: Just read a wiki on it and it seems that at least one version of it has Getz shooting a guy who was down already.

6 versus 1? Been there done that. Even drew down on them. Guy tried to kick me in the nuts while I had him at gun point. I blocked the kick and holstered. The gun didn't phase them, but they ran when I wanted to go hand to hand. Go figure.

My martial arts instructor has told me that tends to happen as a natural reaction to the sound of the first one's bones breaking and screaming.

That said, I'd still prefer to ventilate the lot at a proper distance.

My martial arts instructor has told me that tends to happen as a natural reaction to the sound of the first one's bones breaking and screaming.

That said, I'd still prefer to ventilate the lot at a proper distance.

That's what made me wonder. The one unarmed guy tried to kick me. The guys with weapons (ball bat, at least one lug wrench and a 2x4) dropped them after I holstered and wanted to dance.

Instructive to read rules for Boston Police. If your friend is going to stay in the business, he might want to think about carrying pepper spray.

BPD Rule 303:

The discharge of a firearm by a member of the Department is permissible only when:
A. There is no less drastic means available to defend oneself or another from unlawful attack which an officer has reasonable cause to believe could result in death or great bodily injury

Great bodily injury means bodily injury which creates a substantial risk of death or which is likely to cause serious injury, permanent disfigurement or loss, or extended impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.

Reasonableness is moderate and/or fair action within reason, suitable to the confrontation.

Warning Shots and Signals: Firearms shall not be used as a signaling device. A firearm shall not be used to summon assistance or to give signals or to warn a fleeing felon to stop. This does not mean that officers may not discharge their firearm without the intent to kill or disable if in their best judgment there is no alternate method of convincing a would-be attacker that they are ready and able to defend themselves or others if the potential threat is not discontinued.

I believe that the police will now be involved because you posted to a forum that includes many LEO's. Better get him to the local PD to file a report as soon as possible.

Oh, and because I am old and really can't run very far or fast, at least one of the thugs would have been sufficiently ventilated and the others would probably be suffering from high velocity lead poisoning.

Warning Shots and Signals: Firearms shall not be used as a signaling device. A firearm shall not be used to summon assistance or to give signals or to warn a fleeing felon to stop. This does not mean that officers may not discharge their firearm without the intent to kill or disable if in their best judgment there is no alternate method of convincing a would-be attacker that they are ready and able to defend themselves or others if the potential threat is not discontinued.

Yeah, that's pretty clear. Not the least bit ambiguous.

Last edited:
I believe that the police will now be involved because you posted to a forum that includes many LEO's. Better get him to the local PD to file a report as soon as possible.

Oh, and because I am old and really can't run very far or fast, at least one of the thugs would have been sufficiently ventilated and the others would probably be suffering from high velocity lead poisoning.

Any cop who is a member of this forum and who reads these posts in his/her off duty time has enough to do without trying to track down the OP and his friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess all it really says is don't shoot him in the back. Front is better, so if he turns around, kneecap or other non-vital area is appropriate. That is, if for some strange reason you don't want to kill him. Note to fleeing felons: Don't turn around! In all seriousness, this has been SOP for a hundred and fifty years. (not always followed to the letter)

He thinks he knows who they are. He doesn't want the police involved. Says "I want to be left alone".

I feel for you buddy and what he is thinking is not an uncommon feeling, actually very prevalent especially when people believe the turds can find them again.

Now here's the "I still have my molars" (i.e. not in his shoes) but also the "I've decided to not be a victim" opinion.....
His lack of follow up (legal that is.....) causes 1) the turds to get away with beating the snot out of your friend (felony if weapon or shod foot is used) scott free, 2) your friend to now live in fear of seeing these turds again and they know where he works 3) the turds WILL do it again cuz they are now empowered therefore future victims (unless they pick wrong target) and 4) you buddy feels like s**t for the rest of his life knowing he never did anything but could have (meaning afterwards, 6 on 1 is a losing situation except for Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal).

Every day that passes makes an investigation more difficult (First 48 anyone?). Videos get recorded over, etc. Yeah, the legal system has it's faults but it's what we have to work. Assuming he's not living in the same "hood" as the turds....... Hem up all the turds with felony charges and legal fees, send a few of them to the klink (bet some have prior offenses) and hold them accountable for their actions. That will TOTALLY screw with their lives (jobs, loans, family). Might not stop my chronic pain from facial surgery but I would sleep better at night.

Your buddy has to take the first step and make the report to police in area that it occurred. As another poster pointed out, no LEO is going to search him out, but they will investigate once reported.

BTW - Hope your buddy is doing OK, sucky situation.....

This is a sticky situation, for two reasons. 1.) Not doing anything about it, like previous users have said, empowers them, gets away with it, etc. However, 2.) What most people don't seem to be thinking about is being labelled a snitch by these guys, their friends, etc, and dealing with much worse consequences depending. The law doesn't always work in your favor, as we all know. The situation is over, and hopefully those douche bags got it out of their system and it's just a story for some bros to tell at a party. The situation is over, be grateful everyone is alive and relatively okay (except the scumbags, they can die for all I care.) In my personal experience from similar situations I would leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom