S&W mp 15-22 question

Wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge of the difference between a regular s&w 15-22 and a MA compliant one ?! I read somewhere that it's just magazine capacity but I'm not sure and I want to purchase one . Any thoughts?
Thanks !

On a MA compliant version you can't move the stock, it doesn't have a flash hider/muzzle brake, and it has a 10 round magazine.
Looks soooo much better with flash hider .

- - - Updated - - -

Not allowed to have them in Massachusetts and I don't think the 15-22 is old enough to have pre-bans.
kind of sucks . I only want a larger mag so at range no need to reload it as often.

I know, I bought a used 15-22 and ended up selling it before I even shot it because I just couldn't deal with how lame it looked.

I've never bought magazines online so I'm not sure how that works or if they just ship them to any state if you where to buy them from Smith & Wesson for example but if they did I'd buy a normal sized magazine... it's not like you carry a rifle through ought the day and could get pulled over with it and there aren't "magazine checking police" at whatever range you're shooting at so If you could get ahold of them I'd buy them, but that's just me; I'm a rule bender.

not a rule bender, actually a rule breaker.

Per MGL Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Didn't the high princess declare 22lr non AW status?
I know what the law reads like...

Doesn't scare me. Likely hood of getting in trouble for a magazine in a rifle that's either being shot at the range or in your safe is slim to none.

A pistol you use as your every day carry in the other hand? I wouldn't risk because if you ever had to use it in defense you're screwed when they take it in and realize it's not a 10 round magazine.

If you use a gun in a SD situation, they almost certainly will confiscate your LTC and all guns in your house as well (required if they suspend/revoke a LTC per MGL), at which point they will find any post-ban large-cap mags anyway.

If you get one, get the short 10 rounds mags instead of the full size 10 round mags. The short ones have a button that makes loading the mags a lot easier.

I know it's stupid but I use mag couplers since loaded mags are so light.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you get one, get the short 10 rounds mags instead of the full size 10 round mags. The short ones have a button that makes loading the mags a lot easier.

I know it's stupid but I use mag couplers since loaded mags are so light.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree. I like the short mags much better, even though I modified the long ones to have follower buttons too. Kind of silly having the long ones with only 10 rounds anyway.

Technically, High Cancellor Healey, Glorious Commissar of the DPRM, said on her FAQ page that all .22 rimfire rifles are exempt from the AWB. Sooo.... What's a MA compliant M&P22?

As far as the rifle itself goes, don't worry about the MA version differences as they don't affect function anyway. If you don't like the length of pull, unpin it, adjust, then repin (or don't, depending on your personal risk tolerance). As far as the muzzle device, I agree it looks cool, but has zero effect on functionality with a .22. I have had mine for many years, and it's still one of my favorite range toys. Great for kids and new shooters too. About the only downside is the magazine issue, but that's a MA thing, no fault of the rifle itself.

Throw on of these bad larrys on the end of it... just makes it look different... not a real silencer
TC22-NTS-152_3-800x595.jpg

I thought AG Healy said that 22lr don't count - so if they aren't an 'Assault Weapon' then you can have whatever you want.

That seems to be the case now. However, there is SO much confusion about her new "guidance", "reinterpretation", etc., that I wouldn't count on any police actually having a grasp on what's legal, or not. My thought has always been that if a leo is inspecting your rifle that closely, you likely have bigger issues anyway, but given everyone's trusty pal Murphy, shit happens. Either way, the ONLY thing I would consider to be relevant IS the mag capacity, and that remains at 10, regardless of caliber, or AWB status. I guess if anyone felt the need to add a FH, or bayo lug, they'd be good to go though...[rofl]

I have owned one for a few years now. Lots of fun to shoot. I have four of the ten round mags for it too. Its about the only thing I shoot that I can get a good group with.

Doesn't scare me. Likely hood of getting in trouble for a magazine in a rifle that's either being shot at the range or in your safe is slim to none.

A pistol you use as your every day carry in the other hand? I wouldn't risk because if you ever had to use it in defense you're screwed when they take it in and realize it's not a 10 round magazine.

That's great, just please don't advocate new shooters do the same unless they know it's a felony. Use a firearm in a SD situation and they'll be found. Someone breaks into your home and they can be found. Restraining order placed on you and they can be found. Fire in the home and they can be found. Your ass on the line, but personally there are far too many ways to be caught and the punishment is far too high.

Well looks like we're fine because it seems like they're only targeting men with Islamic names......

I wouldn't assume either you or the OP with the magazine question didn't have Islamic names. Guess you did. The point is, as mentioned above, getting into a fight you didn't start, a 'surprise' 209a, someone with an axe to grind against you, or an SD shooting are all very real possibilities, and the MA AG's will have a hardon for any non-compliant post-ban mags. Possessing them is a FELONY in MA. Suggesting to a new shooter to 'just ignore the law because you're too cool for it' is....insincere

I wouldn't assume either you or the OP with the magazine question didn't have Islamic names. Guess you did. The point is, as mentioned above, getting into a fight you didn't start, a 'surprise' 209a, someone with an axe to grind against you, or an SD shooting are all very real possibilities, and the MA AG's will have a hardon for any non-compliant post-ban mags. Possessing them is a FELONY in MA. Suggesting to a new shooter to 'just ignore the law because you're too cool for it' is....insincere

[rofl] Haha, you just made my morning! All kidding aside, what you said is spot on. We all have different risk tolerances, but we certainly shouldn't encourage anyone else to break the law.

Ah, yes, the "Jam-o-Matic". Well, at least mine was. I tried every brand of ammo I could, and kept that thing as clean as a whistle. I got tired of it and sold it.

What ever happened to that guy in Methuen?

I myself do not own any magazines over 10 rounds, but then again I don't own any rifles.

I swear if more people where as willing to fight against these stupid laws as me most would would be unenforceable. It makes me sick to my stomach how weak people are, everyone is so willing to submit, submit, submit, comply, comply, comply.

Where are you peoples balls!? In your safes!? Our AG sure has big balls on her, much bigger than gun owners and gun shop owners in MA. We get rights yanked from us in a day and now we're asking politely for them back for years; It's sad and disgusting.

I definitely agree with you in principle, as I'm sure most here do. The point Jay made about encouraging others to break existing laws is just common sense though. You should never encourage anyone to break the law, even if you feel comfortable doing so, especially on a public forum where not only are we certainly monitored, but we have no idea who may be reading what we write, or what their intelligence level may be.

I swear if more people where as willing to fight against these stupid laws as me most would would be unenforceable. It makes me sick to my stomach how weak people are, everyone is so willing to submit, submit, submit, comply, comply, comply.

Where are you peoples balls? In your safes? Our AG sure has big balls on her, much bigger than gun owners and gun shop owners in MA. We get rights yanked from us in a day and now we're asking politely for them back for years; It's sad and disgusting.

[popcorn]
What do you suggest??

Have you heard of Comm2a?? Donate to them??

And most gun shops in MA don't have unlimited funds like our AG to battle it out in court...

Nah.....You'll never get pulled over for a traffic violation or get in a car accident and have an ******* cop see your rifle case and ask to search. Not in mass never. [rolleyes]

I myself do not own any magazines over 10 rounds, but then again I don't own any rifles.

Where are you peoples balls? In your safes? Our AG sure has big balls on her, much bigger than gun owners and gun shop owners in MA. We get rights yanked from us in a day and now we're asking politely for them back for years; It's sad and disgusting.

All this shit talk and Yet you don't even own a rifle?!? Are you for real?

Please enlighten us! How exactly do you fight these stupid laws? Specifics only.

Back
Top Bottom