S&W Introduces the new SHIELD EZ 30 SUPER CARRY in the new 30 SUPER CARRY Caliber

Also to everyone who is musing that .30 Sup would be decent in an LCP sized pistol... how you gonna fit a cartridge that's as long as 9mm in magazine meant for .380?

The .30 Super is not meant to compete with or replace .380 pocket pistols, it's basically "New look, same great taste!" 9mm.
The physical length of 380 doesn’t really have too much of an effect on the physical size of the pocket pistol compared to 9mm. Look at the 365. That has a tiny grip.

It’s the lower pressure that allows the 380 to have the smaller size pistol. However, the physical diameter of the 30 SC would allow a pistol to shave nearly .1” in width and height from the slide compared to a 9mm while being capable of withstanding the same pressures. It won’t be as small as a 380 or .32 pocket pistol, but may be small enough to actually be a pocket pistol still. We’ll see.

I suppose the barrel length would still be a factor.

Last edited:
The physical length of 380 doesn’t really have too much of an effect on the physical size of the pocket pistol compared to 9mm. Look at the 365. That has a tiny grip.

It’s the lower pressure that allows the 380 to have the smaller size pistol. However, the physical diameter of the 30 SC would allow a pistol to shave nearly .1” in width and height from the slide compared to a 9mm while being capable of withstanding the same pressures. It won’t be as small as a 380 or .32 pocket pistol, but may be small enough to actually be a pocket pistol still. We’ll see.
I don't see a company making a small pistol built from the ground up to be a .30 Super. If a gun maker is going to make a .30 Super all they're gonna do is adapt 9mm frames they currently make and stuff .30 into it and say, "Hey, we're hip, we're still with it, we got a .30 Super now too!"

I mean, they did the same with .40 pistols and still now there are very few pistols that were built specifically to be 40

I don't see a company making a small pistol built from the ground up to be a .30 Super. If a gun maker is going to make a .30 Super all they're gonna do is adapt 9mm frames they currently make and stuff .30 into it and say, "Hey, we're hip, we're still with it, we got a .30 Super now too!"

In order for the pistol to withstand 50,000 psi, I think they are going to have to do a lot more modification than they did to go from 9mm to .40.

I mean, they did the same with .40 pistols and still now there are very few pistols that were built specifically to be 40
You’re probably right. That’s why I said, I would wait and see before.

Based on dimensions, its a .32 acp magnum round.

I spent way too much time researching if this is possible.

According to Wikipedia the world record sling shot was 135 joules. No mention of the mass of the projectile or it's speed.

Back to your 230g.... at 718fps is 165pf, and 355 joules. Way more than any slingshot

Tell me the air speed velocity of an unladen african swallow

The idea of lowering major for open division started with a well known gun builder, who sometimes has to warranty broken guns. The builder claims his reasoning is based on safety.
Atlas?
Is it just their 9mm open guns or the 38 super* as well?
Is this what Lee was referring to at the open meeting at Nationals?

.30sc is solving a problem that never existed. I'll stick with .380 and 9mm. This basically screams to me, "hey let's market a round to concealed carriers that's not quite as good as what the cops carry." There's a point where guns become too small to fight effectively with, I really don't want a gun smaller than a p365 and having 12 rounds of some .30 cal specialty ammo vs 10rds of readily available 9mm+p doesn't really appeal to me. If I really need to pocket carry or something .380 is fine and hard enough to get right now as it is. .30sc is gonna end up like .357 sig, hard to find and too expensive to shoot and train with. Unless it becomes available in 500rd cases for same $$ as 9mm, I'm out.

Last edited:
.30sc is solving a problem that never existed. I'll stick with .380 and 9mm. This basically screams to me, "hey let's market a round to concealed carriers that's not quite as good as what the cops carry." There's a point where guns become too small to fight effectively with, I really don't want a gun smaller than a p365 and having 12 rounds of some .30 cal specialty ammo vs 10rds of readily available 9mm+p doesn't really appeal to me. If I really need to pocket carry or something .380 is fine and hard enough to get right now as it is. .30sc is gonna end up like .357 sig, hard to find and too expensive to shoot and train with. Unless it becomes available in 500rd cases for same $$ as 9mm, I'm out.
It almost feels like somebody in marketing said "in case they try to ban 'military calibers,' how do we get in front of that?"

Back
Top Bottom