• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RustBlue Gunsmith Natick- 👎

Bro, I noticed it a day later, when I called him on it he told me it was perfect when I picked it up..everyone has their own likes and dislikes, if I like something I buy it..that’s just your opinion..happy now?
lol Ok. Well, that’s 100% on you then. Good luck.

NO.
And when I say "NO",
I mean imagine @drgrant has posted the video of the Intarweb's loudest ear rape NO.
e2f6ef5b-bbab-48c1-8873-ff45ba5ece38-png.421943

b602a4b2-5b0b-4167-9ed3-bbf94abaa2a3-jpeg.422038

What am I looking at here? Can we zoom out a bit?

Just to change the focus for a moment from the gunsmith to the gunsmithing....

My bubba experience hasn't included that much semi-auto pistol sight work. Just one time I bought a sight pusher to make a minor adjustment to one pistol, and that's it. I've fitted many dovetail sights on rifles, front and rear. When I look at the ramp on the side of the dovetail here, I wonder how people deal with this generally, because it looks to me like whoever installed this tried to tap it in. There's not much room over the dovetail for a pusher to push on, either. I suppose you could push on the flat, but that's offset from the dovetail. My inclination in this case would be to take my 3-sided file with the one side ground smooth and fit the back edge of the sight until it was snug but could be slid in with finger pressure and then locked down with the set screw. What's the right way? How would you do it if it didn't have a set screw?

As an aside, I tend to want to black out the white dots they like to put on rear pistol sights, so fiber optics back there would not be my choice.

He said it was perfect when I picked it up..my fault for not inspecting it. Was checking out the extended safety and mag release and didn’t notice rear sight..
Tell him your brother-in-law the FBI metallurgist has already taken
micro-scrapings from the sight damage,
and will be swinging by his shop tomorrow to take swabs and impressions of all his tools
to send down to his buddies at the lab in Quantico for cross-matching.

P. S. And while they're at it, they'll check his tool wear patterns
against the NCIC evidence photomicrograph gallery,
in case he worked on any ghost guns found at crime scenes.

Was recommended from NES and figured I give it a shot..
Where was the recommendation?
So we can post cross-links to this thread
and the double-bungled stock thread.
Because if there's an unalloyed recommendation,
we can at least warn the next victim... [angry]

And you really think I didn’t try to resolve it? 😂
a591c21d89b1215f87f9c8db58a8dc62.jpg

What am I looking at here? Can we zoom out a bit?
Dig Teh Original Thread.

When I'm whiffscrolling my photos, I can always spot the start of a destination vacation
from the 8-12 photos I take of the rental car before we load stick #1 of luggage into it.
That way, if they try to ding us upon return for pre-existing damage
I can prove they rented it to us that way.

Conclusion: if I ever get a gun serviced, I'm going to photo the hell out of it before sending it,
and as soon as I pick it up - even if I do give it a good squint in the shop.
#ProTip

to be clear; was this the same shop? I remember that thread.
The real shocker is that I didn't remember that other thread's offending shop name.
I merely intended to reply to @76Too's (perfectly innocent)
"he specializes in fitting shotgun stocks"
with a variant of the old joke about how
in heaven the police are British and the cooks are French (etc),
but in hell vice versa.

You can't imagine how gobsmacked I was to discover that
the shop that butchered that shotgun stock is the same one
that apparently butchered OP's rear sight.

Thank you. Standard Citori shotgun stock modified (butchered) to make it adjustable. Sadly, I wasn't going to figure that out on my own.
De nada.
I threw you a loop by tinting my NO's a deep angry red,
thus obscuring the fact that it's a hyperlink to that thread's base post.

ETA: Props to the other thread's OP/victim @Adaboy,
who has surfaced in this thread,
despite the fact that I didn't summon him with the Bat Signal.

Did the smith fail to remove the set screw prior to attempting to drift out the sight???

It will lock-up a dovetail pretty well...

1651016844584.png

Did the smith fail to remove the set screw prior to attempting to drift out the sight???

The original sight looks like plastic to me, no set screw. The replacement sight looks to be metallic, with set screw. Sights are usually slightly oversize and require fitting. I did buy a front rifle XS sight once that wasn't oversized, but that one came with a tube of what looked like red loctite. I didn't use it. Just used a brass shim to get it tight. Didn't like the sight, anyway.

The original sight looks like plastic to me, no set screw. The replacement sight looks to be metallic, with set screw. Sights are usually slightly oversize and require fitting. I did buy a front rifle XS sight once that wasn't oversized, but that one came with a tube of what looked like red loctite. I didn't use it. Just used a brass shim to get it tight. Didn't like the sight, anyway.
Ah. I see. Was the damaged replacement sight an AirSoft part?

I try to keep my platforms separate...

I had the original sites on there..I should of had my reading glasses but that’s what you get when you hurry..
It is hard to tell from the photos, but was the slide damaged at all? If only the sight, it sucks but is a better outcome than the alternative...

Back
Top Bottom