RUN-N-GUN Event! The "Hora Dolor". Townsend Fish and Gun club. Sept 30th.

Most fun I've had in a while! Team Thunderballs rocked (& walked some) to 7th place!
Challenging enough for all levels to participate and everyone was great.

It was great to put some faces with the NES names. Thanks Joe & Morgan!

I'm definitely in on the next event!

I'd suggest exploding targets & fire. Some others suggestions of various non-firearm range weapons (throwing knives, spears, bow and arrow) were good too.

Maybe some "must complete" challenges, like must hit steel gong at 150yds before proceeding.

Can't wait to do it again.

Logistically this went really well from where I was sitting. There were good places to put the guns. What I needed to do was made very clear. The volunteers all knew their stages and were happy and fun to interact with. Hot food was available before and after. I saw no safety problems (well, related to guns...those Spidermonkey team costumes were a little mentally disturbing [wink]). The course was long enough and complex enough to be fun but not so long as to keep everyone late. More of the same please!

Looking forward - the winter event sounded great. I love the stage suggestions that involved things a little off the wall like spears, crew-served weapons (you have to link your ammo first!), or throwing knives/hatchets. Everyone seemed to take this with a healthy dose of humor and I think it would be fun to throw things in that most people don't do every weekend. For challenges, I think it could be fun to add in simple ropes course-style obstacles that require teamwork. (e.g. http://www.copecourse.com/lowropescourse.htm stuff like some of those, scaled for pairs). You can still make it plenty physical but it adds another element that appeals at least to me.

Shooting-wise - Steel. I love steel. Also, I have been wanting to do a pole chop for years. Put longish piece of wood upright in ground. Team takes aim. Team must shoot the wood in half. What's not to love? Shotguns supposedly help with this. [smile]

Just a note - while I can see where some are coming from in asking for this to be longer and harder, I really enjoyed the format. Team Spontoons is dealing with physical limitations and we were thrilled that we could participate and have fun with everyone else. If we have to bail on hero challenges, that's one thing, but having a course that couch potatoes, hesitant newbies, or just plain gimps like us can make it around is very much appreciated. Just our take on things.

Dadamine requests a dog stage. He'd like some competition next time. [wink] Fetch the magazine? [laugh]

Thanks again to everyone who came out. Please feel free to speak up about what you liked and thought we f*up on. And we absolutely f*ed up a lot of stuff.

If I am not mistaken there were a couple of walk ons or adhoc teams.. I didn't quite catch the story of where Atmay's partner came from.

There are no pictures yet because.. well.. shit you guys were an unattractive group!

[wave] He came from Rhode Island. [laugh]

This was a great event, and I had a blast, I just wish I could have stuck around for the final scoring process. You guys did a great job keeping everything together and run in an orderly fashion. It was also great that everybody was so laid back about everything. Really took the pressure off for us out of shape folks (who still wanted to compete).

Any chance we can get some rankings/times/details?

Can't wait for the winter edition. I'm going to start shopping for a chest rig now, because my turkey vest just wasn't cutting it (I spent the whole race holding my mags up so they would stop hitting me in the junk).

Sorry you couldn't make it Atillia, but I was glad to take your place.

I want to thank everyone who made this event possible, Team spray and pray (Mike and I) had TONS of fun. At first we were kind of intimidated about a run and gun but it turned out GREAT! Looking forward to the next one and hopefully see some new faces and old ones too!

Great pics, that looks like a total blast. I hope there are more similar events in the future! Awesome!

Looks awesome. Boris, I love that AK. I don't really know what I am doing 3 weeks in advance, but I will try like hell to make the next one.

I'll post up the full rankings with details as soon as I can. They got a little wet and are drying at the moment.

By all means, keep the complaints coming and complements are nice too. If you don't know the old saying.. "tell me when I suck, tell my boss when I do good".
I promise you, there is nothing that would make me happier than if you (all/any of you) would send a note to Jim Gasper (he was floating around the shoot) or any of the other board members and mention a note of thanks.

There were some folks in the club who were VERY hesitant about letting us go and play (and shutting down the entire club except for the trap range). But Jim and several other board members were very much open to helping us and making it happen.

Early word is that it was a financially rewarding day for the club and that was wildly important. And everyone who came out to play was really great and that was hugely appreciated.

You can find contact info for the club here:
http://www.townsend-rod-and-gun-club.org/contacts.htm

I am choosing not to post it here, just the link to their information.

Really though, a quick note will go a very long ways for continued events. :)

Thanks everyone!

284238_596444693950_1017118053_n.jpg

That's the tally at the end. Not sure how the scoring went though as I didn't take a look at the score sheet.

Question... How does the Adjusted BP and Pin work? I also did not see a second pin column...

That aside, I had a lot of fun! So thanks to everyone who set it up, supported it and ran it!

Thanks Mr_Hao.

Chris - Adjusted BP/pin is a delay that you inured due to gun failure or backups. So you were credited for that time.

The shooting score sheet is a nightmare to look at. But I'll see what I can do.

BP and Pin adj is when if you had to wait for the range to clear ie if you caught up to the team before you then the time was adjusted for however long you had to wait. All the numbers are minutes off your time so if you knocked off ALL 16 pins per team it was 30 seconds per pin hence the -8 min off your total time and if you were a crack shot and had left over ammo from the pin shoot then that was worth I think 5 seconds per round you had left. As for rifles I don't remember how that was scored.

All adjusted times are as mr_hao says. And the reason you don't see two columns for pins is because pins had their own, separate sheet. We combined the columns (there were actually 7 columns for pins) and came to a "final pin adjustment".

Yes, scoring was a beech, but the math worked the same for everybody.

Taking some criticism a step further for the entire run, the next one will be:
Longer. Yes, this one was a bit short, and for that I applogize.
Tougher. First round ideas, gang, some slack please [wink]
Tougher scoring. For who? Your or Us? [laugh]

Now for the answer.

We will make it tougher. That's plenty easy enough. To also include those who aren't as tough as BeastlyAdams and Boris, we'll probably be able to incorporate a side-by-side version to accomodate any "destroyed knees/hips/etc" so that almost everybody can partake. Scoring would reflect the different paths.

Longer is also relatively easy to do. This being the first one, at the end of Fall, it was easier to use existing areas to move thru. For a Winter (and subsequent runs), there will be use of our internal trail system (think, over the river and thru the woods). Effectively, you all traversed about 1.5 miles....well, BrianK and Son did a wee bit more [wink]. We can absolutely push that out to 3 - 5 miles...depending on the trails.

As far as events and side-stuff, there can be heaver/longer ones involved. remember, this was essentially a trial run for us. A learning curve for us to see what worked and what didn't. As it turns out, everything seemed to work, but it wasn't "enough", so to speak. And so, there will be plenty in the next ones.

After going over it tonight, sweetjeep and I figure we can do 3 a year, maybe a fourth. But 3 seems to work per the calendar. Sept, Feb, June. So, keep your ears and eyes open. [smile]

remember, like sweetjeep said, keep the commentary coming, keep the critique coming. It'll only help to make the next ones bigger, better, faster, more......[thumbsup]

i just hope that it still maintains a firearms C.O.F. I think its hard to practice archery or knife throwing if you don't do it. Running or a little cardio can benefit everyone and it really benefits everyone to see how they perform when their bodies are not in that perfect state.

Last edited:
I think we need to do something about the pins being unfairly heavy for the teams who went at the tail end of the race. I remembering directly hitting a pin once to knock it down and 2 more times to roll it off. Or maybe instead of pins we can have a resettable steel plates a little further out that way we can fix the pile up that happens at the pistol portion of the race.

I think we need to do something about the pins being unfairly heavy for the teams who went at the tail end of the race. I remembering directly hitting a pin once to knock it down and 2 more times to roll it off. Or maybe instead of pins we can have a resettable steel plates a little further out that way we can fix the pile up that happens at the pistol portion of the race.

Pins are like that sometimes. Shot placement and bullet grain weight are important factors. I was shooting 230 gr., .45 ACP and did pretty good acording to some comments I recieved.

I dont think you need to make it a 5k/harder then its all about physical endurance and not having fun shooting stuff. the suggestions I was hearing was to just change up with the fun stuff, Archery, Shotgun, Knife/hatchet throwing, stuff like that. If you make it any more physical then all those funny looking bicycle riders with their shiny shorts are gonna show up instead of the redneck camo clad shooters we all know and love....just say'n

Yeah, agree. Not up for a 5K. I struggled running due in no small part to smoking and being a desk driver during the day.

I'd hate to have a similar running experience the next time. Not to mention having WillyHank yelling keep up again!

Also, I like the challenges as mentioned. Shotgun, Bow, knife or?

So no camo spandex on the next run???

Yeah, agree. Not up for a 5K. I struggled running due in no small part to smoking and being a desk driver during the day.

I'd hate to have a similar running experience the next time. Not to mention having WillyHank yelling keep up again!

Also, I like the challenges as mentioned. Shotgun, Bow, knife or?

So no camo spandex on the next run???

I'm tentatively with Chris and WillyHank. Team Spontoons skipped Alex's original event because we weren't certain that if we showed up we would be able to complete the course. And with the 2 hour drive each way, that would totally suck. I do think making it harder and longer is good, but please don't take it too far. I like seeing all my fellow desk drivers and non-aerobic rednecks show up.

Pins are like that sometimes. Shot placement and bullet grain weight are important factors. I was shooting 230 gr., .45 ACP and did pretty good acording to some comments I recieved.

I was shooting .45 as well, and didn't have any issues (we were the third to last team I think). I had 1 or 2 pins that need to get rolled off the table with an extra shot.

the excrutiathon was just hard enough to really beat your ass if you rode a desk (trust me, i know!) and from what everyone here has said it sounds like this event was perfect for both those who play life on hardcore mode, or those who just want to show up and have fun. i want in on the next one for sure and hopefully my body will cooperate.

i'm glad that things went well and the club was happy with it, i'd pitched it at my club and got a "nope" unless we wanted to use only the rifle and pistol section, MAYBE part of the woods. weak.

i was sad unloading my mags and putting my gear away even if i was there in banana spirit. also to address the guns issue--anyone (yeah you, incivtus, you were cool) can request a rifle from me and as long as you feed it you can use one of my rifles during one of these events. if it's an AR you have to clean it, AK cleaning is optional.

Back
Top Bottom