• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RUN-N-GUN Event! The "Hora Dolor". Townsend Fish and Gun club. Sept 30th.

Hora Dolor

Are you ready to prove your mediocrity is less mediocre than those around you?

Do you like to shoot at stuff?

Are you able and willing to race by running (walking, crawling, hopping, cussing, fist waggling) about a couple hundred yards in between shooting events to prove you're more awesome than your friends, prospective friends or people actively laughing at your tears?

"Sweetjeep, I DO like to shoot things. I LOVE to shoot at things! I AM willing to race with my friends (and chumps who wish they knew me) to prove to them how much less mediocre I am compared to them! But what are you talking about?!"

I am talking about a Tough Mudder/Spartan Race style event... with guns. And less mud. And guns. Earlier this year, beloved NEShooters member Atmay hosted The Excruiathalon. The most appropriately named team (Knives at a Gunfight) VERY SUCCESSFULLY finished with the FEWEST possible points (last place) had so much fun we decided to put on another event!

The plan:
Meet at Townsend Rod and Gun good and early as the first racers will depart the start line at 9:30. There will be a safety brief at 9:15. Then run a little, shoot a little and have a damn good time.

Series of events:
1. Short trail stumble to the rifle range.
2. Shoot standing at targets 50 yards away.
3. Short run around the beautiful pond, with a modest trial event at the water’s edge, ending the run at the pistol range.
4. Bowling pin shoot!
5. Grab a couple tires and run to the black powder range.
6. Shoot a BP gun. Depending on your current lung capacity and ability for blood to still power your eyes you'll have a choice of targets (superman or average Joe). Different values of course!
7. Bring the extra light weight tires back to the range and shoot rifles (non standing, not prone) at 100 yards.
8. Go for a brisk “trail run” back to the pistols, hopefully your knees are ready to get banged up a bit.
9. Second pin shoot!
10. Fortunately you have caught your breath, and the warning signs of the heart attack have hopefully faded so you can sprint to the finish!
11. Declare your moral and physical superiority to your friends and competitors as you enjoy some tender vittles and beverages from Townsend's kitchen.
12. Spend the afternoon displaying your shooting prowess at the club's rifle, black powder, trap, and pistol ranges.

"Why Sweetjeep! That sounds like a BRILLIANT way to spend my September 30th! What do I need?!" Great question!

What you need:
• A pistol that can knock over a bowling pin, hopefully off a table: 9mm or larger is suggested.
24 (twenty four) rounds of ammo for that pistol. 6rnds per mag, as is a standard pin shoot setup.
4 (four) magazines. If you wish to use a revolver, more power to you!

• A rifle (non black powder).
45 (forty five) rounds of whatever it shoots, centerfire only.
4 (four) magazines, 10rnds per mag.
This must be a "defensive" caliber. 9mm, .223, .308, 300 Whisper, 7.62. Something along these lines. I suppose if you can shoot 40 rounds through your .50 BMG you can run it. NO you cannot shoot a .22, .17HMR or similar. We envision mostly AR variants, AKs etc. Bolt actions are welcome and encouraged. Scoring for the rifles is accuracy dependent.
We will be using 40 round (10 per mag). If all goes well, you will have to carry 5 rounds spare on your person, reload a magazine and shoot the bonus target. The bonus target is not required. But, as stated, if all goes well you -will- want to shoot the bonus.

• Gear to carry your ammo and magazines. You will be required to carry all ammo and magazines (this is partly why you cannot shoot a .22). If you have molle pouches or vests, fantastic, you’re a step ahead of the curve. If not, get some, or have your friends and family make your clothes look like a vagabond clown that just got kicked out of the circus. Or a backpack, I don't care.

• You are NOT ALLOWED to carry the firearm during the run stages: they will be racked and waiting for you. This is non-negotiable. This will be a highly spectated event, and having folks carrying their rifles/pistols is just asking for issues. You will both be required to show clear and safe before being allowed to move on to the next run/event.

• $50 That's your entry fee per team. Teams will consist of 2 members. Not 3, not 1, not none, but two. Holy hand grenade wielders need not apply…

• You do NOT need a black powder gun. It, ammo, powder, etc, will be provided for both teammates, and yes, you both will need to shoot. It will be loaded for you, as well (this is a safety issue, we don’t need shaky hands messing with BP at those moments, especially when this is for fun). You will just need to point, pull the trigger, thank the gentlemen who are helping you and be on your sweaty way.

FAQ

How much running will there be?
About 1.5 miles total. The surface is generally level and hard packed. However there will be some light challenges to do.
They will remain a secret for now. If you were in a wheelchair you would be welcomed and could likely "run" the event. And if you are and you
show up, we'll find a way to make it work for you.

I don't have a blackpowder gun!
It will be provided.

I don't have a suitable rifle/pistol
!
I suspect that if you are vocal here on the forum, you can find someone willing to share. As the guns will remain static at the range
the organizers will do our best to space you out so there is likely to be minimal overlap at stations.
I don't have a teammate!
Really?! C'mon make a friend. :) post up on the board here and I bet we can all find someone willing to be your friend for an hour.

Will I get dirty?
Maybe a little. We understand that sometimes equipment can be FREAKING EXPENSIVE. I do want you to bring your $38,000 H&H rifle. I do NOT want you to ruin the $1500 magazine it requires. There are 2 sections where you stand a chance to get cruddy. They are both "Hero" sections. Neither is required.

Are there prizes?
Proving to your friends that they suck and you rock isn't enough?! FINE... yes, we have some prizes. But seriously, you should be doing this for fun. And to watch your buddy suffer a little.

Is there food/drink at the club?

Yup. And, seriously, we expect you to partake. Yeah, you can pack a lunch or head out to McD's afterward. But The Club is taking a risk on this event. They set aside -2- ranges for us. They are providing "volunteers" to help out. I don't think it's too much to ask for you to buy a little grub to fill your starving belly. Besides, the folks in the kitchen are super friendly and won't make fun of you for smelling like an armpit that was just washed off with vomit. They probably won't.

What are the rules?

If I'm honest, we're going to kind of wing it. There will be a rules briefing at the event. But the basics are all common sense. Don't cut the trails. Follow the paths as best you can. Don't be a jackass.
There are only a couple actual rules:
1) Joe Endris is the final say. You cannot dispute his ruling.
2) If a Range Officer decides you have committed a safety violation that is worth your departure, you leave. Period. No refund, no exceptions, no discussions. All our range officers are intelligent adults and understand what's what. They have been appointed to help keep everyone safe and help keep everyone from springing a leak. If you run in a "walk only" zone, you'll probably just get yelled at. If you muzzle someone there may be a problem in your immediate future.
3) See Rule #1

If the club can make a couple $ on the event, and we all have fun, guess what? Yeah, we'll get to do it again. I promise you 2 things: Joe Endris is not a pretty man and you WILL have fun!

Any other questions? Post up and myself (Morgan "sweetjeep") and Joe (Joeendris) will do our best to answer.

We are working on a video simulation of the event and will post it up as soon as possible. But we're doing this all out of pocket on our own time... so... you know.

HOW DO I RESERVE MY SPOT?!

The Mighty JoeEndris will be holding the money. send a paypal payment to [email protected]

Spots are limited to 12 teams.

Quick summary:

September 30th at 9:00, be at the Townsend Fish and Gun club (will insert address ASAP).

The event is open to anyone. No memberships, no clubs affaliations required.

As of 7/29 we have 2 teams paid up.
Knives at a Gunfight
Partyboy and (TBDL)

Last edited:
Oh joy. [smile]

I'll list teams here, as they sign up. While there are two months before we "play", it'll go quick. Don't dally too long [wink]

Confirmed
  1. Adam and Nicole. Team Spontoons in a Knife Fight
  2. Paul S. and Josh K. Team Thunderballs
  3. Morgan and Seth Team Knives in a Gun Fight
  4. Peter A. and James H. Team David and Goliath
  5. Martin W. and Boris Team Soft Target
  6. Larry C. and Andy L. Team 3UP 3Down
  7. Chris D. and Bill K. Team Full Metal Jackass
  8. Tony K. and Cortland G. Team
  9. Hao N. and Mike P. Team Spray and Pray
  10. Justin M. and Bruce M.
  11. Andrew K. and Brian K.
  12. Alex M. and Mark B. Team Bananas in Pajamas

Unconfirmed (though still placeholders)

For those wondering, I haven't entered the NES names, as some are NES folks, and some aren't NES folks. If our NES family would like to show up with name tags, that would help some of us [wink]

For the family and friends wondering, yes, we will be posting pics of this [STRIKE=undefined]glorious[/STRIKE] proof-most-of-us-can't-run-more-than-to-the-fridge event. [smile]

Because we're "full", we've created an on-deck listing. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ub-Sept-30th?p=2514732&viewfull=1#post2514732
On Deck
Eric Chang
Boris

Last edited:
Oh this looks fun. Will you guys keep us updated as the slots get filled? I can not commit this early, work doesn't let me have much of a social life.

Oh this looks fun. Will you guys keep us updated as the slots get filled? I can not commit this early, work doesn't let me have much of a social life.

We gave it two months to fill up. There's some work that needs to be done, areas we need to build. I locked the 3rd post up to allow for "other", including notices of teams who are set to "play" [smile]

A few of us walked the course a couple of weeks ago....it promises to be a damn fun time.

Just sent in my $50 (as a gift to avoid fees) Haven't started bugging friends to team up yet or picked a name. Sounds like a blast though.

Partyboy: Thank you for doing it as a gift. We do appreciate that! If others follow suit, much appreciated. Also - just to double check, that $50 is for a TEAM.

To be frank, we aren't "making" money on this event. ;) Definitely appreciate the early support!

Atmay: Hope you make it! I have no doubt laughing at us was good fun, but running was more fun!

We have had people inquire about bolt action rifles as well. The answer is rock and roll. This is part of the reason we made the rifle scoring multi stage. There are those who believe that their bolt action is more accurate than your AR/AK/SKS/FAL/Whatever. So to help them prove it we are working on scoring the targets in a multi value hit range. Outer/mid/inner. Whatever the setup will end up being. I think we'll end up with either 2 or 3 stages. Depends on the target we settle on.

So bring your bolt action. Bring your SKS. We don't really care what your lead delivery unit is (so long as it's center fire and not a .22 Mag.. has to be a full size cartridge). I give the examples I give as being the most likely we'll see. At the last event it was 90% ARs and 10% AKs.

I may be out of the country, hopefully not, if yes, I'd love to run in it.

What's the deal with "mudlesslines" If you got a hyperexpensive H&K/AR, then may be it's time you buy a real rifle that you can shoot it independently of weather.

Can I suggest a mudpit to crawl through or an alt-mud route (stream fording) so that comrades who are not afraid to get muddy and shoot can earn extra manly points?

Hahahaha so Boris,

There are 2 "hero" sections. Failure on one will cause you to get regretfully muddy and wet.

The second one is optional. But highly encouraged. You will get dirty though we will provide a table for your gear should you choose to take it off. Mud is optional depending on circumstances.

For the moment we are trying to have as much fun as possible and get an audience. If we are successful and the club can be convinced that this is brilliant... The difficulty will increase.

Acme: I'd love to see a 50bmg, but if your serious, please let me know ahead of time so we can make sure it's ok and we'll have to figure out how to score you. Of course 80 rounds of 50cal really at, what, $4 a round helps keep it a fun joke. :)

Last edited:
Speaking of extra points for manliness.....any scoring bonuses for full battle-rattle? I'm thinking I may do this in plates.

Acme: I'd love to see a 50bmg, but if your serious, please let me know ahead of time so we can make sure it's ok and we'll have to figure out how to score you. Of course 80 rounds of 50cal really at, what, $4 a round helps keep it a fun joke. :)

80 rounds? I don't have a 50 BMG handgun yet.
Won't have time to build the AR by then, maybe for next year.

Speaking of extra points for manliness.....any scoring bonuses for full battle-rattle? I'm thinking I may do this in plates.

Trying to get extra credit to make up for a lack of shooting ability on your team?

If extra points are going to be given out for load-out-awesomness, then The Beard will get more points then any load-out-contraption you bring. [wink]

Acme.Armament said:
80 rounds? I don't have a 50 BMG handgun yet.
Won't have time to build the AR by then, maybe for next year

Maybe he thought both of us were going to shoot the hypothetical 50?

No worries, my gun is already a fun joke even without being a large caliber. [grin]

Trying to get extra credit to make up for a lack of shooting ability on your team?

If extra points are going to be given out for load-out-awesomness, then The Beard will get more points then any load-out-contraption you bring. [wink]

Yes. We will need as much help as we can get to stay out of last place.

And marks beard is nearly as awesome as yours, plus whatever facial hair I can grow, and that's a wash.

hehehehehehehe

I like where this is going. However, FOR NOW, there is no bonussing for showing up prepared for the apocalypse. If there is enough call for it and we can get a contingent willing to suit up, I am certain I can make something happen.

Now seems like a good a time as any to mention scoring.

All scoring is time based and there are no penalties. Only bonuses. In theory you could sprint the course in.. maybe.. 20 minutes. If you fired not a shot and didn't do the hero sections. But then you'd be an a**h*** and I would disqualify you out of pure spite. Plus, you could still lose as there are enough shooting bonuses that you could end up a "time traveler" and have a negative time score when the event is over, assuming that you actually shoot.

So, if you show up dressed for the apocalypse you are pretty likely to be slower than if you showed up nude with just a belt to carry your magazines/ammo. So I think we could offer a time bonus because.. well gosh I like to see people gear up and have fun.

Speaking of which, if you nuded up and went all Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the course (sock on your wang)... you know what.. we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :)

sweetjeep said:
Speaking of which, if you nuded up and went all Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the course (sock on your wang)... you know what.. we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. :)

And what if a competitor does not have a wang on which to put a sock?? Way to welcome women into the sport...no extra points available for us?! [wink]

On a marginally less absurd note...do we get extra points if we get the dog to run the course in his load out too? He can carry spare mags...hero challenge! Obtain mag from the GSD and then go shoot a target. (use of bacon bribes is cheating).

Yes. We will need as much help as we can get to stay out of last place.

And marks beard is nearly as awesome as yours, plus whatever facial hair I can grow, and that's a wash.

That's what I've heard over at Facebook. [thinking]

Mark doesn't have a beard anymore. Even if you two try and grow a full beard by 09/30/2012 it won't be enough. My beard is at Viking length now and could be at wizard length by the 30th. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom