• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger's new revolver

Finally, the answer to the question: "What do you get when you cross a Webley revolver with a sun-bloated roadkilled warthog?"

(answer: A Ruger LCR)

[puke]A plastic revolver? Is nothing sacred?

Jack

I honestly cant see this $700 gun's benifits over a 642 airweight that can be had for $375!?!?
642 list price is over $500. And S&W sells other airweights at even higher price points. I, too, don't understand the attraction over a 642.

But at the very least, this gives S&W some competition in the lightweight, small revolver market. That is a good thing.

I will buy one.

I will prefer my model 36 probably, but never know until you try.

If its recalled I will keep it and watch the collector value of the failed plastic revolver increase.

How similar is the Ruger to this S&W 317 .22 kit gun?

The S&W was my original dream gun.
*swoon*

Just picked up this S&W 317 kit gun last week. Great little revolver and light as a feather. I'll get in line to buy one of these Rugers as soon as they're available.

317a.jpg

I don't know. Something about it is repulsive and attractive at the same time. I'd like to get my mitts on one to see how it feels before I make the final decision.

Just picked up this S&W 317 kit gun last week. Great little revolver and light as a feather. I'll get in line to buy one of these Rugers as soon as they're available.

317a.jpg

I'm jealous! Thanks for knowing what I was talking about and seeing a similarity between this and the Ruger...now I don't feel so stupid for asking about them together. I am a newbie, after all.
Have you shot the S&W yet? I'm curious!

Have you shot the S&W yet? I'm curious!

I have the same gun and I've shot it a bit. It is very light. Like all J-frames, it needs a trigger job straight out of the factory. Recoil is minimal. The large front sight isn't that accurate. It is fine for plinking, but not what I'd want for defensive purposes -- .22lr is too small a caliber for that, IMHO.

1911 is right. The trigger is rather heavy, but this is one cool revolver. Easy on the wallet to shoot too. Now to find someone who can lighten the trigger pull . . . . . .

1911 is right. The trigger is rather heavy, but this is one cool revolver. Easy on the wallet to shoot too. Now to find someone who can lighten the trigger pull . . . . . .

Most any gunsmith can do it. I suspect both Santurri and Greg Derr can do it for you. I did mine myself.

my hand hurts just looking at it.

call me wuss [laugh]

maybe i'll take that snubby defense class....

Wuss...

Comparing this to the scandium J-frames isn't a fair comparison, because this is built to save weight in a .38, while the Scandium J-frames are mainly built so that they can take the .357.

BTW, Becka, I also have a 317 kit gun and it's a very nice little plinker. I may be looking to sell it though, as I have a Model 41 which gets all of my rimfire budget these days.

Ruger LCR at SHOT SHOW

Ruger did it again! 2 years in a row. Last Year was the Ruger LCP. This Year was the LCR. The Ruger LCR is a compact, small frame revolver made of Polymer., Aluminum and Steel. Capacity is 5 shots, with a sculpted cylinder and enclosed hammer for double action only use. The trigger geometry was worked for smooth, non-stacking use and the result is apparent. Rated for .38 spl +P. Weight was described as about 13 oz. Really an impressive design, with modern age construction. Remember when GLOCK came out....."A Plastic Pistol?"....Now They will say...."A Plastic Revolver?". Job Well Done.

Apparently im missing something

I honestly cant see this $700 gun's benifits over a 642 airweight that can be had for $375!?!?

My thoughts as well.

As a recent/current owner of a 642, I'm pretty happy with it. My wife also did not enjoy the recoil, I find it manageable and do enjoy shooting it. If this Ruger has significantly reduced recoil somehow it might be interesting, but as others have stated .38+P in a super light gun = noticeable recoil.

edit: all that aside I'd try one.

Last edited:
You can still find used S&W airweights around half the price of this plastic, "No honest man needs more than ten rounds." Ruger. It is solving a problem that doesn't exist. It is far too expensive. It is useless. It is a marketing stunt, period.

You can still find used S&W airweights around half the price of this plastic, "No honest man needs more than ten rounds." Ruger. It is solving a problem that doesn't exist. It is far too expensive. It is useless. It is a marketing stunt, period.

The MSRP of the LCR without crimson trace is $525. The MSRP of a S&W 442 is $600. Why do people keep saying a 442/642 is sooo much cheaper (besides being available used?). Is the LCR shipping yet, if so what is it actually selling for???

Back
Top Bottom