• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Super Wrangler

Retired-LEO

NES Member

RugerSuperWrangler.jpeg

https://ruger.com/products/superWrangler/models.html

RUGER has just announced The Ruger Super Wrangler.
Basically a Wrangler version of the Single Six Convertible.
(2) Cylinders: A .22LR & .22WMR.,
5.5" Barrel with Adjustable Sights
The list price is
$329 (not too bad for having two cylinders and upgraded sights)

Last edited:
What is the difference between this and the Single Six? Will one hurt the sales of the other?
Not much; my first thought was that it would cannibalize SS sales. But guys that can afford Single Sixes will still buy Single Sixes. Guys paying alimony and child support can now swing a .22 LR/WRM single action. Good move on Ruger's part. Nice of Heritage to push them over the line.

Now if Ruger offered a .22 magnum Bearcat my life would be complete. (Am tempted to ream a cylinder but more afraid of screwing it up. Fear trumps temptation in this case. Life goes on.)

Wait a sec....does this mean the Wrangler barrel is .224?!

I'm going to pick one up. I bought a Wrangler when they first came out and quickly sold it because the sights were horrendous. These improved sights look much better. And the addition of a .22 WMR cylinder is a deal clincher.

It's my understanding that the wranglers have an aluminum frame and more mim parts than the original single 6 which are either all stainless steel or blued steel.
I got the wrangler, I wish I'd known about them coming out with a 22 mag version.

I did my own surgery on the gun to lighten the trigger pull and especially to lighten the spring on the loading gate, which was really way too stiff.

It was pretty easy, for the trigger spring, you just unhook one end in the handle. The loading gate spring was kind of a bear to get to
, you need to disassemble essentially every part of the whole gun, watch your fingers with the hammer spring. But now it has a delightful trigger pull and the stupid loading gate is nice and easy to operate.

Not much; my first thought was that it would cannibalize SS sales. But guys that can afford Single Sixes will still buy Single Sixes. Guys paying alimony and child support can now swing a .22 LR/WRM single action. Good move on Ruger's part. Nice of Heritage to push them over the line.

Now if Ruger offered a .22 magnum Bearcat my life would be complete. (Am tempted to ream a cylinder but more afraid of screwing it up. Fear trumps temptation in this case. Life goes on.)

A .22Mag Bearcat would be cool. I'm not seeing the point in the Wrangler line over the Single Six.

What is the difference between this and the Single Six? Will one hurt the sales of the other?
They are nearly identical in size and function.
The Single Six with the 5.5" barrel is far more refined and and offered in Blue @33oz & S.S. @39oz (BLUE LINK) (S.S. LINK)
The Wrangler (original) with the 4.62" barrel is a zinc alloy frame, lighter @30oz and less refined. (ORG. WRANGLER LINK)
The Super Wrangler has a 5.5" barrel and weighs 37.7oz (SUPER WRANGLER LINK)

I don't think they would completely share the same market.
The original Single Six is 2-3 times the cost of either Wrangler version (it's a "plinker).
With the higher price and refinement the Single Six is worthy of being a future "Hand-me-down"

I hope this helps

Last edited:
They are nearly identical in size and function.
The Single Six with the 5.5" barrel is far more refined and and offered in Blue @33oz & S.S. @39oz (BLUE LINK) (S.S. LINK)
The Wrangler (original) with the 4.62" barrel is a zinc alloy frame, lighter @30oz and less refined. (ORG. WRANGLER LINK)
The Super Wrangler has a 5.5" barrel and weighs 37.7oz (SUPER WRANGLER LINK)

I don't think they would completely share the same market.
The original Single Six is 2-3 times the cost of either Wrangler version (it's a "plinker).
With the higher price and refinement the Single Six is worthy of being a future "Hand-me-down"

I hope this helps
Now compare to the rough rider at half the price of the original wrangler!

I hear that Ruger is coming out with a Super Dooper Wrangler that shoots .22LR, .22 mag, and .500 S&W

Yeah adding "Super" to the name of a rimfire is stupid.

The wrangler name was good.

But there probably should have just called it a Wrangler PLUS;

being that it's two cylinders/calibers.

Sure I'd rather have a Single Six; but I don't need one and they are getting expensive now.

With the list price being $329; it will likely go for $290-$300 street price,

which is more justifiable for a plinker than the $799. list price for the Single Six.

It would have to be if they want to keep the pressures where they should be.

Shooting a .22LR (223" diameter bullet, minimum .217" bore / .222" grooves) down a barrel designed for a .22WMR bullet (.224" diameter bullet, minimum .219" bore / .224" grooves) probably doesn't increase the gun's accuracy. FWIW, those are the SAAMI barrel numbers, CIP are a bit different.

Last edited:
It would have to be if they want to keep the pressures where they should be.

Shooting a .22LR (223" diameter bullet, minimum .217" bore / .222" grooves) down a barrel designed for a .22WMR bullet (.224" diameter bullet, minimum .219" bore / .224" grooves) probably doesn't increase the gun's accuracy. FWIW, those are the SAAMI barrel numbers, CIP are a bit different.
Ignoring the slight diameter differences, what does 22wmr do that 22lr doesn’t? IMO, not much.

I have a rough rider. The wrangler is prettier/more refined but functionally pretty damn close to the same. I think I can send a thing in and get a 22wmr cylinder for mine for like 20 bux plus S&H. Even at that price, I’m not interested.

Ignoring the slight diameter differences, what does 22wmr do that 22lr doesn’t? IMO, not much.
Against paper indoors, probably not much.

I think it could change if you're popping small game. The .22WMR puts a jacketed bullet downrange 50% faster with more than double the energy at the muzzle as a .22LR. That situation could give you more range on larger animals.

I have a rough rider. The wrangler is prettier/more refined but functionally pretty damn close to the same. I think I can send a thing in and get a 22wmr cylinder for mine for like 20 bux plus S&H. Even at that price, I’m not interested.
I'd have to assume that includes a barrel change as well. If your existing .22LR barrel is on the small end of the spec, the pressure could get pretty high otherwise. Hell of a price in either case.

I don't have any brief for the .22WMR, as I don't own anything that shoots it and currently don't plan to. I have a friend with a revolver that's convertible between LR and WMR. He likes shooting it, but it seems that he always brings his .22LR pistol instead whenever we're plinking indoors.

I'm going to pick one up. I bought a Wrangler when they first came out and quickly sold it because the sights were horrendous. These improved sights look much better. And the addition of a .22 WMR cylinder is a deal clincher.

Additionally I believe the Williams Fire Sights (fiber optic ones)

That fit most Ruger single action revolvers, will fit the Super Wrangler (should you want fiber optic sights.

Extends range for hunting. Makes for more power when at same range.

Bonus:

Back
Top Bottom