• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Sr1911

I don't own one, but I've heard it's excellent. You might try to borrow/rent one before you buy to make sure you like it.

-chris

Anyone own one?

How has it been? This will be my first handgun, no im not planning to carry it and do realize its size and weight.
Nice gun. My trigger is good (Better then my Remington 1911) and it has a a couple of things I like in a 1911. It has a cupped Beavertail safety and has a regular 1911 barrel bushing not the cone barrel that have become popular. Shoots fine and it has decent sights. It's not match grade accurate but is plenty accurate for what you need. Good starter 1911 that has some additional features, looks good, but wont kill your wallet. (save that money for Ammunition).

Last edited:
a local dealer has one for $680 in stainless, so yes this was attractive to me. I do know there are much nicer 1911's but at a higher price and at this time it isn't in my budget to dump $1200 on my first purchase.

Thanks, im glad to hear it is a decent piece.

Nice gun. My trigger is good (Better then my Remington 1911) and it has a a couple of things I like in a 1911. It has a cupped Beavertail safety and has a regular 1911 barrel bushing not the cone barrel that have become popular. Shoots fine and it has decent sights. It's not match grade accurate but is plenty accurate for what you need. Good starter 1911 that has some additional features, looks good, but wont kill your wallet. (save that money for Ammunition).

Agreed. I have the CMD version and really like it. My first 1911. Eats everything. It is accurate. Not me, but the gun is.....[wink] I put Heinie Ledge Straight Eight Night Sights ,Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves and a Double-Alpha PDR Belt-Ride Holster w/Kydex/Suede. It's just what I wanted.

If you are around central Mass you're welcome to try mine out.
Jay

Last edited:
southeastern ma, I do appreciate the offer though.

ive held a few 1911's thing seems to fit me better, at this price along with all the reviews and input from you guys I don't think I could go wrong.

I bought new one 2 1/2 years ago and have run about 1,500 rounds through it with no problems. I also have a Remington R1 and have no issues, but I'd choose the Ruger over the Remington if I had to make a choice. If you can get a new one for $680.00, that is a very good price.

The Ruger and Rock Island 1911's are excellent and reliable. Also cool that they stay fairly true to the series 70 design by nix'ing the silly firing pin block.

Personally I prefer the parkerized finish of the RIA and find Ruger's laser etching to be cheesy. This is purely subjective.

Also the RIA models usually feature adjustable rear sight and fiberoptic front, which is a nice touch.

Gartman Arms in Wrentham seems to stock some RIA models. I've never been to his shop but heard many good things.

Nicest 3-figure 1911?

I don't actually know -
I didn't compare and contrast with other makes/models.

However I did do some research on that make/model
(before buying a Commander).

Here are the articles I thought worth bookmarking at the time:

The first three articles are particularly detailed.

(And note that both Gunsumer articles are actually six times as long as you'd think -
don't overlook the links to their five subsequent pages).

I don't recall any of the reviews containing stuff to steer you away from the SR1911's,
or towards a competing model. But if you have qualms from elsewhere going in,
you may find them addressed. And if you're drooling over some feature(s), maybe you'll be confirmed in your desires (or if they're not that big of a deal, find some perspective to weigh them more objectively).

I like our Commander fine.

The only thing I've modified is to toss #60 o-rings underneath the grip screws.
Not because they have a habit of backing out.
But because that's more reliable than me learning how much to torque the screws upon reassembly.
Stupid, but I don't want to be That Guy who strips them.

I handled one and put around 200 rounds through it. Seemed a little loose and not as tight as it should be for a 1911. Might be due to the fact that it was a loaner gun. No problems but was only 200 rounds. Handled a sig 1911 the same day and I could tell the difference in price.

For something that costs roughly $700, it was pretty damn good. Still, personally, I would hold off and try to save a bit more for a nicer 1911 especially since you won't carry it. In the long run, $200 more for a colt isn't much. Plus resale value is good if you want to part with it. I wasnt impressed enough by the ruger to justify saving a couple hundred bucks but that's just me.

well for me the ruger is a couple hundred more than I originally wanted to spend as I first looked at a rock island for $500. I do hear what your saying as I could tell the difference between the ruger and RI, I did hold a S&W 1911...it gets into the price point I don't want to be in.

Everybody has their budget.

well for me the ruger is a couple hundred more than I originally wanted to spend as I first looked at a rock island for $500. I do hear what your saying as I could tell the difference between the ruger and RI, I did hold a S&W 1911...it gets into the price point I don't want to be in.

That makes sense. Its definitely alot of money, at least to me, whether its $500 or $700 or $1000. The stuff doesn't grow on a tree for most of us lol my point was more that I could tell a big enough difference between the already good ruger with a higher end model worth a few hundred more where it was worth the difference to me. Just my own feelings after handling it a bit.

With that said, you are getting great value for the money with the ruger and I doubt you will be disappointed. It was accurate enough for my crappy skills and the cool little "custom" features it gives you cost a hell of alot more on other guns.

Another happy SR1911 CMD owner. My first 1911 and I love it. Mine has been bob tailed and has a ED Brown mainspring housing.

Cant go wrong.

I have ruger and a rock island and have had no issues with them...I like them. Go for it

I just wish they didn't have the Ruger etching down the slide so big I can't get myself over that. If they would only put the logo on back of the slide like rock island learned then I would have no complaints.

Based on the number of Ruger 1911s in my safe (three), I'd say I enjoy them. Solid units, nice triggers, and, for me, reliable. Use the full size stainless for Pin Matches, might carry the commander, and the nightwatchman is a safe queen at the moment.

I do have a RIA 9mm 1911 en route that has gotten great reviews and I'm looking forward to shooting that.

noxin....is the RIA 1911 9mm ma compliant? I would be curious to see one, originally I wanted a 9mm so that my wife could use it in an emergency, I don't see her firing a 45.

Anyone own one?

How has it been? This will be my first handgun, no im not planning to carry it and do realize its size and weight.

I have a full size SR1911 and I like it. I know you said you arn't planning on carrying it, but I found with a good holster even a full size isn't that bad and I am able to putter around without feeling it digging into me or anything. Didn't seem to print enough for my wife to notice when I was trying out a holster this week.

noxin....is the RIA 1911 9mm ma compliant? I would be curious to see one, originally I wanted a 9mm so that my wife could use it in an emergency, I don't see her firing a 45.
Ahhm, I don't know (or care) about mass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks I see rock island has a 1911 in 9mm, it is the tac model which I like also, so I guess I will talk to my dealer and see if it can be purchased.

My wife prefers 45acp to 9mm. 45acp is a lower pressure round, subsonic and can have overall less perceived blast. Maybe more physical recoil but whatever. I have found many new shooters actually prefer the 45acp...my mom is good example of this. Her favorite rounds to shoot are 38sp and 45acp.

Back
Top Bottom