Ruger sp101

Probably not a big deal if you use it for EDC. You can also change the springs to lighten the trigger pull for SAO

For carry no hammer is a good option because it won't get hung up on clothing when drawn. Also in a self defense situation, double action would most likely be used and if you're carrying it you should be practicing double action anyway. It's a nice revolver. Good choice.

Definitely get the wolf 10 lb mainspring. The stock mainspring is stupid heavy. The wolff springs are like $15 from ebay well worth it gun feels like different animal. Also once you get the internals polished it becomes a smooth ass revolver.

i have the bobbed hammer 2.5" model and i love it. Had the 3" and 4" models in he past those are also nice.

Good choice. I have gone to the LCR for carry but still love my 101.
Good solid gun that sits in my desk drawer at work and home and various other locations.

I've had a couple of them and they are great guns. But I'm afraid I'm "old school" and prefer hammers. (not a carry gun for me anyway)

I love those guns. Heavy by today's standards but rock solid dependable.

I like the hammer less feature for CCW. Suggestion: buy an extra traditional hammer too. You can order one from Ruger. They are modular. You can swap the hammer less (actually it's a spur less hammer not internal hammer like some other hammer less models) yourself. It is not rocket science gun smithing.

I'd leave it alone myself and not second guess because I think you made an excellent choice. This gun IMO is a modern classic and if I could have only one handgun, say if I lived in NYC or some foreign countries that limit the kind and number of guns you can own a hammer less SP101 in .357 would be my gun, hands down and I've given it a lot of careful thought.

Last edited:
I took a hammer less or should i say spur less SP101 as a trade and enjoyed it very much. For EDC the hammer less is the way to go in my opinion. Trigger pull was consistent and it was actually fun to shoot. Only traded it cause i wanted a G43

My wife chose the bobbed SP101 after trying a bunch of J-frames. She loves it, and is way accurate with it. Me, I'd want larger grips on it.

although not a ruger, i own a smith model 10 3" bbl that came with a bobbed hammer and dao. one of my favorite revolvers to shoot but alas...in 38 sp. i'd like to find it's mate in .357, i believe it was the mod 15? i forget. the smith custom shop did the trigger job...like i said, my favorite revolver and love taking it out now and again. i know i posted this before but....the photo is horrible and makes it look like a war horse, it wears a nice bright blue finish in real life. enjoy you new revolver.
20141121_070147 (2).jpg

I got new grips on order.

I have the bobbed hammer in 2 1/4 inch 357 mag. Put the Hogue tamer grip on it.

I have carried this gun daily for 3 years. Practice with it once a week.......literally thousands of rounds 90% of them 158 grain 357 magnum. The gun is accurate enough at 20 feet to save your life. It has gone bang EVERY time I have pulled the trigger through all those thousands of rounds. I still locks up tight and the trigger has gotten smoother over the years I've owned it. It is a good friend. It is a workhorse.......carry it on backpacking trips in the white mountains just switch to buffalo bore 180 grain hardcast lead. A very comforting gun to have on my side.

I did a plate shoot with it a few weeks ago. Did damn well for a da revolver and having to take a 2 second penalty on every rack (6 plates and only 5 shots)!!!!!! I even shut down the shoot for a few minutes when I broke a plate......was using my 158 grain 357 magnums not watered down plate shoot reloads!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of years ago I was shooting mine at an indoor public range........using 125 grain Remington jhp......flame throwing boomers! I tossed off the first round and a guy behind me dropped a whole box of ammo on the floor because it scared him! All the twenty somethings with their "nines" and "fotays" stopped shooting and looked around the barriers to see what I was shooting! Its a real ****ing gun folks.........go back to your toys please!

I bought my first semi auto pistol two weeks ago....m and p 45. 400 rounds through it and had one failure to extract...........piss poor reliability compared to my ruger revolver :)

Practice with it and you will learn to love your sp101.

Last edited:
although not a ruger, i own a smith model 10 3" bbl that came with a bobbed hammer and dao. one of my favorite revolvers to shoot but alas...in 38 sp. i'd like to find it's mate in .357, i believe it was the mod 15?

The model 13 is the 357 mag version (model 15 is a model 10 with adjustable sights). That model 10 looks hideous. Better sell it to me:)

Seriously speaking, I love DAO revolvers. Something satisfying in the way all the mechanics work together in one smooth motion. While I have a few plastic autoloaders, I don't find them very appealing aesthetically. Sort of like comparing a Casio to a spring driven watch.

Bought my hammerless 2.25" twenty years ago and still love it. Got a .44 Alaskan to keep it company last year an thinking about a .327 to round out collection. (Bought a bunch of .327 by accident a couple years ago at Cabelas did no have my glasses on....[thinking])

Back
Top Bottom