Ruger Security Six .357 Revolver

iofneedle

NES Member
Does anyone have experience with this revolver? I saw a six inch blued one yesterday for a reasonable price. I heard that replacement parts might be hard to get...but what would I replaced? Seemed a pretty solid firearm.

Opinions? Thanks

Securitysix.jpg

not a 6" but the 4" version. yeah, they are tanks. think of it as a small redhawk. mine is over 35 years old and still is a solid revolver. i think the 6" is rarer than the 4's. i've not seen too many over the years and i'm not sure about the grips in your photo. everyone i've seen were "service" style but theses do show a ruger medallion, so.... my favorite revolver now, and for years, is the speed six. the fixed sighted version of this. i bought it used 25 years ago at least. it's stainless, not blued, but is still tight as the day it came out of the factory. i've posted pics of it here. lockwork is idendical. rugers are known for being out of time direct from the factory, at least back in the day, hence why you see heavy drag marks from the cylinder bolt around the cylinder. there are gunsmiths making a good living just putting these in time. the old timey gun writers, skelton, keith, etc. would send their personal rugers right out to have it taken care of before the first shot was fired. if the price was right, ~ $350, i maybe would go for it.

Back in the early 80's I owned the stainless steel version of this revolver. I had it for about three years and never had a problem with it. They are built like tanks. Ruger used twice as much steel as they need to build this revolver. The reason is clear, these revolvers were meant to last a lifetime. I know you probably not going to want to hear this but I paid around $250 bucks for my brand new Ruger back in 1983.

Nice revolver for someone who is into ruger revolvers. Personally if im looking for a range gun i would still lean towards a GP100. Just my 2c.

I have 4" made in 1980 all original parts, and I love it, its built like a tank ill never get rid of it. I don't know what you consider reasonable price, but if you think its a good deal grab it, or PM me were it is [wink].

Last edited:
I have the very same gun, and it's a teriffic shooter. If you can get it for a reasonable price I'd go for it!

imagejpg2_zps86dac367.jpg

I don't know what you would need to replace on it either...

I ordered a new trigger for the one I got, I replaced the flat faced trigger with a rounded one. I think I may have also gotten some washer that is part of the extractor or yoke assembly just because it was cheap and I figured it might be something I could easily lose while taking it apart at some point.
Numrich has lots of parts for it: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Whats the price and store you saw it at, so I can go.... inspect it for you ahead of time [wink]

Last edited:
Ruger's 1st DA revolver and the new kid on the block that at first the boys in Springfield and Hartford didn't take as seriously as they should have.

State of the art for the time (and still more advanced than the hundred plus year old design of S&W)?using castings and modular construction, and the price...was a superior gun when compared to the Colt Trooper Mk III and the Model 19 Combat Magnum which it was designed to compete against. The price was sooo much better.

These are good guns, more durable than a M19 Smith IMO, and if in good condition and the right price, are worth owning and shooting. Another thing to remember is that S&W QC was spotty in the early and middle 70's (Bangor Punta ownership) and Ruger was excellent, Old Man Ruger seldom let anything get past the factory inspectors unless it was "just right."

You could do a helluva lot worse believe me.

I have a Speed Six snubbie and it's a great .357 and is basically the same thing without adjustable sights and it has a shorter barrel. I would say get it.

To the OP.

I'm smitten. I want that gun. If you don't. PM me where it is and I'll buy it.

To give you an idea of how tough these guns are, in the reloading world there are standard load recipes. Then there are "Ruger loads" that can be a bit hotter and are to be used in Rugers only. Its a fine gun.

But almost every one I've seen has been stainless. This one has some style with the nice polished bluing and the longer barrel with S&W square butt style grips.

Don

p.s. I don't know who said it, but parts are NOT difficult to get for this gun. If you don't screw with it, the only thing that will ever need replacing anyway might be the springs. This gun was the first revolver built with all coil springs. They are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Back
Top Bottom