• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark III gremlins

My Ruger mark III seems to have a gremlin some where. The problem is duds or misfires.
Federal Champion 2% duds
Federal gold Medal 4% duds
Federal Bulk, Wal mart special 6% duds
Remington Sub Sonic hollow points 1% duds
Remington Target standard velocity 4%
PMC with an Eley primer 40%
CCI standard velocity 20%
Aguila 40%

The first thing I did when I started to have problems was a good cleaning of the firing pin channel. I had purchased an assortment of ammo to see what the mark III like best. That's when I discovered the problem. I had been shooting mostly Federal prior to the "experiment".

I haven't a clue what is wrong here, but something is! Any ideas?????

Bob,

I'd give Ruger Tech Supt a call on Monday and see what they can tell you about the problem. I have never owned Ruger pistols, but it looks like the typical "fussy .22" syndrome to my non-expert eyes.

Seems typical for .22 ammo, alot of times the primer powder doesn't make it all the way around the rim.

Just make sure you're getting good strikes.

I find that keeping my Mk III clean is a pain in the neck. After shooting even just 100 or 150 rounds, the gun seems to get full of grit. I even hate the noise it makes when this grit/sand/residue grinds against the bolt and trigger. I am a clean gun fanatic and this drives me crazy on the Mk III. I HAVE noticed that the few malfunctions I have with it seem to happen after shooting for a while so perhaps the Mk III is unforgiving in this regard. I will keep testing .22 ammo to find the cleanest burning, and I suspect this will correlate to the fewest malfunctions. Try to take note with your Mk III and we'll keep each other posted.

Regards,
Chris

.22 semi-autos frequently malfunction when bullet lube and debris build up in the rim recess of the barrel. It can be just enough to cushion the firing pin blow. Also check if there is a recess that the nose of the extractor goes into. The same lube and crud can keep the bolt just a tiny bit from seating, which will usually cause misfires.
A good blast of good old carb. cleaner, followed by a little light oil will fix you right up.

My Mark actually gets better as I shoot it. I have no problem take down or reassembly, guns goes together ; no problem.

Looks like the problem is a tight chamber. I was inspecting all the rounds that didn't fire when the light dawned. Check the ones that did fire!!! The Aguilas that fired didn't fully chamber, and would have a bulge just above the rim. Looked like a belted .22. I have scrubbed and cleaned and scrubbed and cleaned,used a .27 brass brush on the chamber. Federals work fine, most remington but PMC, CCI ( I'm told they have a slightly longer case) and Aguilas are not for this Mark III. I have to decide if it is going to be a steady diet of Federal ammo or return the pistol to Ruger.

Second problem appears to be lubricant. I have been using Rem Oil. I will place the gun, locked in case per MA Law in the car early in the morning, go to work, then hit the range 10 hours later, with a very cold pistol. After it gets near room temp, it works a little better. I decided to switch to CCR spray silicone oil , seems more slick.

Back
Top Bottom